Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
Commercial Member

the level of difficulty for this repair is beyond most rv owners. when you get a call back from hwh, they will tell you the same thing. but they will probably spend time telling you how to do it. they can supply part numbers, and even sell you the parts, but can you do the repair?
please feel free to call me anytime. leave a message, as i do not answer hangups. too many solicitors. if i dont answer, i will call you back asap.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #16

Bob,
As Azpete said this job is for professionals. We had our main slide glides replaced @ HWH last year. The bedroom slides were OK. Pretty good for a 14 year old coach. The closest "good" repair to you is probably @ Elkhart, IN. I'm not sure of the name right now but HWH will probably tell you what it is. All of the reports on them are good. The HWH factory is your best bet to get it done right and in the least amount of time.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. We had the drivers full wall slide fail to retract in February. It failed to rise to clear the floor and bent a lot of parts under the slide. Called HWH and they recommended Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Florida who has certified Technicians. They also honored our Viking Protection Plan. A repair that was bid at 12 hours labor became 22 hours at time of pickup. Since they never called Viking for the added labor they wanted us to pay for the extra hours. We refused and they finally reduced the hourly rate to make the $1,875 bill work. Slide is still not right as the front corner sits low to the main floor and will hang up when rising to come in. Will have Factory look at it when we are in Forest City in October,
I think different people have different results due to how the use their RV. We are the type to have many one night stops as we travel from Seattle to Florida and back and cycle our slides many more times than the average traveler. We are not the type who operate our slides less than a dozen time a year. Slides have been our biggest problem as we had 4 failures in the first year on our 2016 Vista LX 27 N. Will take HWH over Powergear any day.Attachment 206905Attachment 206906
Honwing,
Yep, our "M.O." (Cop term) for slide ops is almost the same as yours. When we travel, many times it's: drive-stop-setup-slide out. Packup-slide in-drive, stop-setup-slide out, drive....... and so on and so on. Yep, we put ours through the gauntlet on a continual basis too. Now, ours is not a full wall slide. Ours is the regular larger living room one and, a bedroom one. As stated earlier, I was under the impression that the new slide blocks installed by our local HWH/Winnebago affiliated company 3Ts, would really quiet things down when retracting. But, still grumbling and noisy but, it works. Too bad for yours not working correctly. That would tick me off if I'd paid a bunch of money, and so did the warranty company and, it still doesn't work PERFECT! That's not right.

The factory, and HWH designed these things to work and, they do work correctly from the factory and for many years. But, when they break, they should be able to be fixed so they work as good as the day they were new. What's wrong with this picture?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at this video it may be helpful in determining whether you would feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Kevin is a member of this forum and is very helpful. I did this repair myself last fall and while difficult it wasn’t impossible.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks for the link to the video.
Interesting but very different from my 08 Vectra 40TD.
My coach has 2 large slides and I haven’t seen any of the angles shown on this clip.
Thank you again
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #20

soapy water only

I was told by the service tech at Winnebago Service Center to just wash those slide arm with soapy water to deter any dirt particles from scratching the blocks and then they crack, do not use ANY lubricants at all, just keep them clean.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I was told by the service tech at Winnebago Service Center to just wash those slide arm with soapy water to deter any dirt particles from scratching the blocks and then they crack, do not use ANY lubricants at all, just keep them clean.

I use a clean rag to wipe the slide arms and will occasionally use the spray on dry lube that WD40 is selling these days ($12 a can, yikes!). I mentioned that to the techs at Winnebago when I was there in May and they thought it was fine.

I have noticed when I do that, that the slide will be quieter and operate smoother the next time I retract.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide