Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Slide Help Please

Have the coach out for the first time in a month and when putting out the passenger side slide I noticed what seemed to be shuddering or grating noise.
The better half was outside and she described as grating.

Looked into the receivers for the rectangular slide supports and see what as a woodworker I would call UHMW. (Looks like a nylon cutting board).

There are pieces of the UHMW cracked and/or broken. They are HWH model AP39797 slides.

I assume they are low friction guides/bearings (photo’s attached)

Can anyone give me some guidance on
1 Would this cause the noises?
2 Are they difficult or possiblefor me to replace myself?
3 Would this have caused what now looks to be dark marks on the carpet?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Name:   IMG_2351.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:   IMG_2352.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:   IMG_2353.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:   IMG_2355.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:   IMG_2357.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:   IMG_2354.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  30.3 KB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
you need to replace the outer and inner bushings. They are a 4 piece on each slide ram.
Best take it to a pro that does it. You can do the outers but the inners are a bugger without the know how and equipment. There is also a plastic strip you cant see that may have to be replaced too. We had ours done at the factory...
They did it without pulling the compartments that saved us a bundle.

KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

Hi dnystrom, thanks for the reply.
Just so I am clear, when you say outer and inner bushings are you indicating top/bottom/left and right or are there more bushings behind the ones visible?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine has two sets on each ram. There is the outer that you took the pic's of and farther in is the inner 4 piece bushing. The kit that HWH sells for about 20 bucks. I had mine replaced by a HWH dealer/repair shop. I dont know where you are but the place is in Lake Havasu call 3-T's. The outers are kinda easy but the inner 2 are way beyond my skill level. Get them fixed soon as you're metal on metal and may do additional damage to the rams.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Unfortunately I am north of Toronto (in Canada) and to the best of my knowledge there are no HWH repair shops anywhere near by.
So my option is to go to the selling dealer and pay huge (plus, I have serious doubts they would do a good job) or, try and get it done myself.
I did email HWH on Sunday but no response.
Not sure how dependable they are responding to email requests.
So, still looking for anyone that has done this job so I can hopefully pick their brain.
Thanks
Bob
Old 06-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

It's possible that the slide-blocks are UHMW but, knowing how cheap many RV manufacturers are, I'd just bout bet our home that they are HDPE. HDPE will do the same duty with the same results as HDPE but, at half the cost. No biggie, just thinking out loud. We just had all our slide-blocks replaced in our coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. The coach is 14 years old and, I figured it was about time for replacing them because, there were pieces of that HDPE or UHMW (which ever it is) laying on our RV garage floor when I'd move the slide out and back in.

So, I got under there and looked and could see, like yours, broken sections of those slide blocks. Time to replace. So, living here in Lake Havasu City AZ, there's a company called 3Ts that's tight with Winnebago and, HWH. I figured I could do the job but, I also figure'd the do this stuff for a living and, I've talked to many, many folks that have been thoroughly satisfied with their performance. I've done ALL my own maintenance and repairs for decades and decades but, I didn't like the looks of this job. So, I made an appt. with them and had it done.

It was a bit costly, just under a grand for replacement of all the blocks and, the total perimeter of the main slide seal. I'm good for another 14 years.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #7

Thanks Scott for the reply.
Iíve been waiting for return email from HWH but am thinking that wonít happen.

So this week, I am going to give them a call, see if I can get through to them.

Even some drawings would be good, that way I can see what I am getting into and decide if I want to tackle this job.

If no reply I will probably remove one to get size and make replacement with UHMWPE. I have a few decent size peices laying around the shop for making wood jigs.

Very surprised that few folks have chimed in with info on this as I cant think Its not reasonably common. Perhaps others have bitten the bullet and paid to have repair done.

Anyway, again, thanks for taking time to reply.

All the best everyone

Bob
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
Thanks Scott for the reply.
Iíve been waiting for return email from HWH but am thinking that wonít happen.

So this week, I am going to give them a call, see if I can get through to them.

Even some drawings would be good, that way I can see what I am getting into and decide if I want to tackle this job.

If no reply I will probably remove one to get size and make replacement with UHMWPE. I have a few decent size peices laying around the shop for making wood jigs.

Very surprised that few folks have chimed in with info on this as I cant think Its not reasonably common. Perhaps others have bitten the bullet and paid to have repair done.

Anyway, again, thanks for taking time to reply.

All the best everyone

Bob

From my reading, it's not all that common for them to fall apart. But that's more just a feeling from perusing several RV'ing forums. At least this HWH design seems to be fairly reliable.

Mine are 16 year old HWH hydraulic and in excellent condition. LR and BR slides. Had them checked a couple weeks ago at the Winnebago factory. Told them to change the pads if necessary and it wasn't.

This might attest to the PO and my caution using the slides. Regularly using spray lubricant, wiping down the rams, and doing our best to never operate the slides unless level.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
From my reading, it's not all that common for them to fall apart. But that's more just a feeling from perusing several RV'ing forums. At least this HWH design seems to be fairly reliable.

Mine are 16 year old HWH hydraulic and in excellent condition. LR and BR slides. Had them checked a couple weeks ago at the Winnebago factory. Told them to change the pads if necessary and it wasn't.

This might attest to the PO and my caution using the slides. Regularly using spray lubricant, wiping down the rams, and doing our best to never operate the slides unless level.
Jim,
Things are like that in the RV industry. Some parts/components last for years and year while others, seemingly doing the same work, in the same position, crumble away in no time. I lubed mine every chance I got. But, reality, I was primarily lubing the outside blocks, not some of the more important inner ones. I thought after I paid the big bucks to 3Ts here in Lake Havasu that, that main slide would be considerably quieter. But, ain't happening. It still grumbles at me while returning to the travel position. Oh well, it is what it is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd recommend that you give Paul Maddox (azpete) a call at 1-602-549-3638. He lives in Arizona, works for HWH, is active on this forum and has always been extremely helpful to folks with HWH issues.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #11

Thank you Chris, hopefully Paul wonít mind receiving a call but I will try him in the next day or so and post what I find out.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #12

Chris, I didnít feel right just calling Paul so I looked him up on members list and sent him a PM asking if he would read this thread.
Thanks again for information and I hope he will reach out to me and say I can give him a call..
Bob
Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #13

....AZpete will be a good source of information on your issue.....its been awhile since I contacted HWH for support.....they have a pretty extensive internet site for diagnostics and DIY repairs....HWH parts desk is pretty responsive but tech/help desk responses can be 10-14 days. To my recollection, don't think that the outer blocks [maybe the bottom blocks?], and certainly not the inner blocks can be replaced without removing the slide support arms from the frame tubes. Doesn't require removing the slides but you would have to disconnect arms and block up slide. For my rig, I would also have to remove the lower curtain trim on slide to get arms out of frame tubes. This would not be a cheap or easy task in my mind.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. We had the drivers full wall slide fail to retract in February. It failed to rise to clear the floor and bent a lot of parts under the slide. Called HWH and they recommended Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Florida who has certified Technicians. They also honored our Viking Protection Plan. A repair that was bid at 12 hours labor became 22 hours at time of pickup. Since they never called Viking for the added labor they wanted us to pay for the extra hours. We refused and they finally reduced the hourly rate to make the $1,875 bill work. Slide is still not right as the front corner sits low to the main floor and will hang up when rising to come in. Will have Factory look at it when we are in Forest City in October,
I think different people have different results due to how the use their RV. We are the type to have many one night stops as we travel from Seattle to Florida and back and cycle our slides many more times than the average traveler. We are not the type who operate our slides less than a dozen time a year. Slides have been our biggest problem as we had 4 failures in the first year on our 2016 Vista LX 27 N. Will take HWH over Powergear any day.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2752.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	206905Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	206906

Tags
slide