Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #1

Slide out roof panel

The 12" passenger side slide-out roof panel in my 06 Itasca Horizon needs to be replaced and I'm struggling with who does the repair. WBGO factory is 14 hour drive one way and I'll need to leave it for 8 days. Thats two round trips to Forrest City in less than 2 weeks. Their price seems reasonable and much less than any of the local shops I've checked with so far. Or, should I let a local shop do the work. I don't know how complex of a job it is and I don't know much about the competency of my local shops so that's why I've been leaning toward letting WBGO do the work. Am I making this too difficult? Is this a job any shop should be able to do? Your thoughts and recommendation would be appreciated.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #2

Well if it were me I think I would take it to the factory. I doubt any local shop could do as good a job as the boys from Forest City.

A round trip flight from Des Moines to Birmingham is right at $315. The Factory is about 2 hrs from Des Moines. A rental car is under $40. Motorhome fuel will cost about $800 round trip.

Obviously a tough call but if the factory repair estimate is $1200 cheaper than local then the math works out in favor of driving up to Forest City.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Commercial Member

try the winnebago dealer in huntsville. he' a good guy to work with.
bankston rv
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd take it to the factory even though it's lots more travel. I ended up taking my '02 DSDP to Nappanee from WA state, a 2200 mile drive, one way. Took me a month but Newmar did pay for the fuel both ways since it was warranty work and state law required them to pay for transport.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there any other factory work or service that can be combined to add value and justification? How about with third party providers in the area?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Well if it were me I think I would take it to the factory. I doubt any local shop could do as good a job as the boys from Forest City.

A round trip flight from Des Moines to Birmingham is right at $315. The Factory is about 2 hrs from Des Moines. A rental car is under $40. Motorhome fuel will cost about $800 round trip.

Obviously a tough call but if the factory repair estimate is $1200 cheaper than local then the math works out in favor of driving up to Forest City.
From a cost standpoint , after factoring in the cost of shipping the new roof panel to Alabama and the much higher estimates I received from local shops, its a no brainer. I should take it to Forrest City.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
try the winnebago dealer in huntsville. he' a good guy to work with.
bankston rv
I forgot about Bankston. I've done some business with them in the past and I agree. They are good folks. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'd take it to the factory even though it's lots more travel. I ended up taking my '02 DSDP to Nappanee from WA state, a 2200 mile drive, one way. Took me a month but Newmar did pay for the fuel both ways since it was warranty work and state law required them to pay for transport.
My big limitation is that I still work full-time. Hate using my limited vacation days for travel. But I think I'd more confident having the factory doing the work
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Is there any other factory work or service that can be combined to add value and justification? How about with third party providers in the area?
There are a few other things in want WBGO to do but with the cost of the roof repair at $5500 I can't afford the other things at this time. AZPETE reminded me about a dealer in North Alabama that might be able to do the job and they are only 2.5 hrs away.

Tags
panel, roof, slide, slide out