Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #1

Slide out works intermittently.

My Sightseer 36Z 2017 right side slide out works intermittently. Rear motor stops while front continues, both won't work, etc. Anyone know what is going on?
drbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Hi I just tried to look up your coach slide out motors if what I saw was correct you have in wall slide motors which have a rack and pinion set up, if each motor is getting the voltage to run then I would say it could be a brush and commutator issue and may just need cleaning to correct problem, this is common cause of DC low voltage motors and also cause intermittent operation. A call to Winnebago tech support may advise how to access or try looking up slide motor replacement on line for your coach and then you can look up how to clean DC motor commutators.
Good Luck hope this helps.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi I just tried to look up your coach slide out motors if what I saw was correct you have in wall slide motors which have a rack and pinion set up, if each motor is getting the voltage to run then I would say it could be a brush and commutator issue and may just need cleaning to correct problem, this is common cause of DC low voltage motors and also cause intermittent operation. A call to Winnebago tech support may advise how to access or try looking up slide motor replacement on line for your coach and then you can look up how to clean DC motor commutators.
Good Luck hope this helps.
The unit is only a few months old. It is under warranty and Camper World got me the replacement motor, but when I replaced it it made no difference. I called Winnebago service and they gave me the number for the people who built the motors. He said it sounded like the motors weren't getting enough power to them. My other 2 slide outs work just fine but he said that doesn't mean anything. He thinks they aren't getting enough power. Reading for house batteries says 12.4 volts. Any more thoughts?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

I don't know if yours are like ours, but we had the same problem when ours was new. We have slide motor controllers that control the amount of power going to the slide motors. They sometimes need adjusting when new. They were set to take the minimum amount of power at the factory and a small amount of vibration can make it not supply enough power to the motors. I would ask them if your MH has slide controllers, and if it does it may just need a slight adjustment. If you adjust them yourself ask them first on how much to adjust them. On ours it was a very slight adjustment, less than 1/8th of a turn, and it has never occurred again. Good Luck.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I don't know if yours are like ours, but we had the same problem when ours was new. We have slide motor controllers that control the amount of power going to the slide motors. They sometimes need adjusting when new. They were set to take the minimum amount of power at the factory and a small amount of vibration can make it not supply enough power to the motors. I would ask them if your MH has slide controllers, and if it does it may just need a slight adjustment. If you adjust them yourself ask them first on how much to adjust them. On ours it was a very slight adjustment, less than 1/8th of a turn, and it has never occurred again. Good Luck.
Do you remember where the slide out motor controllers were located?
Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #6

Our slide motor controllers are located in one of the storage bays mounted to the side wall. They are little rectangle boxes. Some MH's have them mounted in interior storage areas like upper kitchen cabinets or bedroom closets. I was just thinking this may be your problem if you installed a new motor and had the same results. I would call Winnebago's customer service department and they should be able to tell you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out