Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Problem 38T

We have a 2006 Itasca 38T....we love it....but when I visited it last (we store it about 20 miles from home) I noticed that the top of the rear slide (passenger side) was tight to the outside wall, but the bottom was about 1" out.
When I tried to lock or unlock the slide, I just get a "clunk" sound. The slide will not move in or out.
I checked the front slide, driver side and it seems to operate properly.
I've read some general suggestions on other posts here, but before I head back out to try them I thought that I would see if others had any similar experience and suggestions We have HWH slides and levelers.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My passenger side slide started to show this problem several years ago. Turns out the carpet was being picked up by the bottom of the slide and bunched up keeping the slide from closing all the way. The bottom of the slide was not sliding "correctly" over the carpet and several screws had come loose. It was "fixed" by the factory under warranty. The whole slide had to be removed and a "newly" designed bottom (of the slide) installed with new attachments. I am thinking it was a "design" fail by Winny, poorly engineered. The ONLY way to access the bottom of the slide "inside" is to remove the slide. NOT an easy thing to do. Now this would cost like $3000, not being under warranty any longer.
The lock clunk, could be the a frozen slide lock or jammed lock, keeping your slide from moving. Can't move if it is locked.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Stevegd007: Thanks for your input.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'd bet you have two separate issues. The slide being out an inch at the bottom is known as creep likely due to a solenoid that is going bad and allowing hydraulic fluid to slowly leak past its seals. The winnie slide locks are known to stick so if the lock is stuck closed the microswitches will be open (if I recall correctly) and the slide will not move. You should be able to look on top of the slide to verify the position of the lock. There should also be a removable cover in a cabinet to access the lock mechanism. On my 2007 Adventurer I had to loosen the bolts to my slide lock to get it unstuck so on the advice of the Winnebago techs I never bother locking the slide anymore.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had that and it was my topper that was stuck and wouldn't let the top move. I lied the topper and it came out.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

That should read lubricated.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to you-all and advise found in several other posts.......good news.
I started the engine....disengaged and re-engaged the park break, and leveled the coach. When I again tried to unlock the slide and move it, all worked correctly. I extended the slide about a foot (that is all I can without hitting the adjacent motorhome) and brought it back in....tight to the side top and bottom.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Your engine battery may be low and/or weak. The HWH system needs good voltage (13-14 volts) and it takes quite a big of amperage so a chassis battery should have the charge from the engine running. If you're plugged in to shore power, then you can hold the Aux Start switch while putting slides in/out and jacks up/down and get a boost from the house batteries. If the parking back is not set on or the switch is not making contact, it will block the action of the slides & jacks.

Glad it's working for you now,
Bill
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Duner: Thanks for your tips. I would not be surprised if a weak battery is the cause. I should take a look. We have only owned the coach for a year, I don't know how old the batteries are. We are hooked to shore power.
OH BOY.......something else to research...........if the battery (s) is/are weak, what kind to purchase? A subject for another thread.
Have a great day.

Tags
slide