Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
A little over two years after we bought our coach, we were in a hard wind-blown rain from the front while the slides were out. The next morning, I discovered water dripping onto the leather couch from the overhead cabinets in the lounge/galley slide. The carpeted ceiling in the cabinets was soaked from end to end. We dried it out and went to visit our local dealer in VA (we bought the coach in TX). I had discussed the leak with Winnebago Owner Relations. They recommended all slide top seams be caulked, and advised it should not make any difference that the seal across the top was not fully "flipping" outward when the slide was extended. I requested the dealer remove the slide top awning and caulk all top seams. They did caulk the seams along each end, and on the outside. They told me they found two screw holes in the top of the slide in the area of the microwave, and they caulked the two holes.

Almost exactly one year later, we were again in a wind-blown rain from the front while the slides were out. The next morning, I again discovered water dripping onto the leather couch from the same area of the overhead cabinet. This time, I found only two small areas of the carpeted ceiling of that cabinet that were quite wet. I decided I would look for my own solution.

By poking my head a little under the slide-top awning and pulling the across the top seal up, I found that the seam along the inside edge (end to end) was not caulked. And the top seal still did not "flip" out when the slide was extended.

I finally got a couple of nice days to work on it when I had help to removed the slide top awning. Yesterday my son helped me take the awning loose and lay it over on the roof. I found the holes the dealer had found and caulked. They did an excellent job, and no repair was needed there.

Lying on the roof with my head out on the top of the slide, looking back toward my belly button, I went to sticking the dispensing tube of the caulking gun under the top seal so I could get some caulking on that inner seam of the slide roof. It would have been much easier if the dispensing tube had been an inch longer, but after trying unsuccessfully to rig up an extension, I used what I had. When held at just the right angle, the tube barely reached under the seal to the inner edge seam. I ran a bead of caulk on the seam from one end to the other. I then ran another bead of caulk on the slide roof from end to end, curving into toward the coach at each end, hoping that will discourage water that collects on the top from drifting back against the seal. I then ran another bead about 8 inches in from the outside edge, leaving gaps periodically, with the vision that this bead would help the seal to "flip" out as the slide goes out.

I let it all dry overnight, and today we put the slide top awning back in place. Then I watched outside as the slide was run in and back out. The two beads of caulk on the top work as I envisioned. The seal flips as it should. I can't help but believe that the seal being flipped out will help in keeping water from getting behind the seal. And if water does get behind the seal, the caulk I got behind the seal on the inner seam can't help but stop water too!

Hopefully, we have a resosution. But I'm not going to spray water up there to find out like I did when the dealer had to reseal the basement StoreMore compartment. We'll just have to wait for another wind-blown rain storm to test it out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
A little over two years after we bought our coach, we were in a hard wind-blown rain from the front while the slides were out. The next morning, I discovered water dripping onto the leather couch from the overhead cabinets in the lounge/galley slide. The carpeted ceiling in the cabinets was soaked from end to end. We dried it out and went to visit our local dealer in VA (we bought the coach in TX). I had discussed the leak with Winnebago Owner Relations. They recommended all slide top seams be caulked, and advised it should not make any difference that the seal across the top was not fully "flipping" outward when the slide was extended. I requested the dealer remove the slide top awning and caulk all top seams. They did caulk the seams along each end, and on the outside. They told me they found two screw holes in the top of the slide in the area of the microwave, and they caulked the two holes.

Almost exactly one year later, we were again in a wind-blown rain from the front while the slides were out. The next morning, I again discovered water dripping onto the leather couch from the same area of the overhead cabinet. This time, I found only two small areas of the carpeted ceiling of that cabinet that were quite wet. I decided I would look for my own solution.

By poking my head a little under the slide-top awning and pulling the across the top seal up, I found that the seam along the inside edge (end to end) was not caulked. And the top seal still did not "flip" out when the slide was extended.

I finally got a couple of nice days to work on it when I had help to removed the slide top awning. Yesterday my son helped me take the awning loose and lay it over on the roof. I found the holes the dealer had found and caulked. They did an excellent job, and no repair was needed there.

Lying on the roof with my head out on the top of the slide, looking back toward my belly button, I went to sticking the dispensing tube of the caulking gun under the top seal so I could get some caulking on that inner seam of the slide roof. It would have been much easier if the dispensing tube had been an inch longer, but after trying unsuccessfully to rig up an extension, I used what I had. When held at just the right angle, the tube barely reached under the seal to the inner edge seam. I ran a bead of caulk on the seam from one end to the other. I then ran another bead of caulk on the slide roof from end to end, curving into toward the coach at each end, hoping that will discourage water that collects on the top from drifting back against the seal. I then ran another bead about 8 inches in from the outside edge, leaving gaps periodically, with the vision that this bead would help the seal to "flip" out as the slide goes out.

I let it all dry overnight, and today we put the slide top awning back in place. Then I watched outside as the slide was run in and back out. The two beads of caulk on the top work as I envisioned. The seal flips as it should. I can't help but believe that the seal being flipped out will help in keeping water from getting behind the seal. And if water does get behind the seal, the caulk I got behind the seal on the inner seam can't help but stop water too!

Hopefully, we have a resosution. But I'm not going to spray water up there to find out like I did when the dealer had to reseal the basement StoreMore compartment. We'll just have to wait for another wind-blown rain storm to test it out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hopefully you have it fixed but if not you might want to consider having the new double flipper seal they use now installed.
I had the factory work on it after two dealers were not successful.
That finally made mine stop leaking.