RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #1

We tried to extend the front slide in our Winnebago 39K - unfortunately there was an obstacle inside that got wedged between the wall of the motorhome and the inside frame of the slide. We bent the lower portion of the metal trim and gasket inside the motorhome.
I have the replacement metal strip and gasket but need to know how to remove the ornamental trim piece that covers the metal piece. (The cover piece is fabric covered with a wood strip down the center.) There is also a ornamental wooden piece at the top than needs to be removed as well.
Anyone know how to get those ornamental pieces off so I can replace the metal strip and gasket???
Thanks for your help.

jhruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

We tried to extend the front slide in our Winnebago 39K - unfortunately there was an obstacle inside that got wedged between the wall of the motorhome and the inside frame of the slide. We bent the lower portion of the metal trim and gasket inside the motorhome.
I have the replacement metal strip and gasket but need to know how to remove the ornamental trim piece that covers the metal piece. (The cover piece is fabric covered with a wood strip down the center.) There is also a ornamental wooden piece at the top than needs to be removed as well.
Anyone know how to get those ornamental pieces off so I can replace the metal strip and gasket???
Thanks for your help.

jhruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What model & year 39k ??

I did something similar on my large lounge/galley slide, but did not bend any metal ...just popped the wood loose and popped some screws out when I stopped the slide due to the big "bang" ...wow that sounded bad!!!

I don't have any fabric covered parts, but the "ornamental" wood on both of my slides is held on by screws. The screws are hidden by wood plugs ...pry out the plugs and there are the screws. When I put the plugs back in after replacing the screws, I put a dab of silicione caulk on each plug and popped them back into place.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2006 Voyage 33V that had the wood trim pulling away from the metal on the front slide. The screws for the wood trim was under the cloth insert which is put on with double sided tape. When the tech at my selling dealer took the cloth trim strip off it really messed it up. Several trys to get the correct part and mine is still an eyesore. I am scheduled to go to FC next month for other issues and I should be able to get it fixed them.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #5

Is it possible to open the slide and wedge , maybe a 2X4 between the slide and something else opposite and then gently close the slide till you straighten the metal strip?

I have done this a couple of time to "FIX" my goofs when opening or closing the slide. Use the slide its self with a wedge to fix the problem.

Bought a clamp to hold a glued trim piece and it didn't work. Wedge a piece of wood behind the tim and the frame of the slide gently closed it till the seam was tite and let it sit for a day...worked just fine...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote