RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Slideout noise while operating

Just wondering, in my 2006 winnebago sightseer 34a, when I'm moving the slides in and out the noise is kind of loud. Some coaches around same year they make noise also but not as loud. Does anyone who has a 34a, is it normal for slideout to make loud noise as it go in and out...?

fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Describe the noise please.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Describe the noise please.
Wish I could attach an audio file. It's not any bad noise. I should say when it is going in and out it's being loud compared to other coaches. I ut silicon lubricant on it all the time but still is loud when I use it.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

I meant is it a mechanical scraping noise, a motor noise, rubbing noise, etc?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

It's more like rubbing noise as bean supporting the slideout slides in and out. That's the best way I can describe it. Going to record it next time and put link to it here...
Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

Did you notice any marks on the floor when the slide is out? That would be damaged or broken rollers. Measure each end of the slide when it is half-way in/out, they should measure the same.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you notice any marks on the floor when the slide is out? That would be damaged or broken rollers. Measure each end of the slide when it is half-way in/out, they should measure the same.
There is nothing touching the floor as slideout moves in and out fine. What I'm going to check is see if the rollers the beam moving slide sitting on in actually rolling.... I will make a video and upload it .
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

These are the rollers I'm talking about. Have a feeling few are frozen and causing the noise. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190325-WA0002.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	239418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190325-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	239419
Old 03-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

slideout noise

Fastwhls, I have the same set-up as yours on my 05 sunrise 33v mine makes noise going in and out hasn't changed in the nine years that we have owned it .those roller bearings can be cleaned up with a allen wrench and socket (one at a time) your side pads look to be in good shape. is that grease I see on the outside of the tube? there's a worm drive screw that's inside the tube that does all the work moving it in and out. there's a member on this forum that has a 2007 voyager he has a great post on the details.hit search feature .good luck
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun 33V View Post
Fastwhls, I have the same set-up as yours on my 05 sunrise 33v mine makes noise going in and out hasn't changed in the nine years that we have owned it .those roller bearings can be cleaned up with a allen wrench and socket (one at a time) your side pads look to be in good shape. is that grease I see on the outside of the tube? there's a worm drive screw that's inside the tube that does all the work moving it in and out. there's a member on this forum that has a 2007 voyager he has a great post on the details.hit search feature .good luck
Try using this.
Spray it everywhere.
I just started using it and my slides are incredibly smooth and quiet. Click image for larger version

Name:	9e6bdf38-8591-4a04-ac75-4bc8c6a9082c_1.c1e5dd2e5d42854e7470f38528dac41d.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	239423
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun 33V View Post
Thanks for your response. When I fixed the slide at 3TS last week they weren't concerned about it. The whites on the bar are grease. This is what I've been using to lubricate them.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_155821.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	239433
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #12

There is an inherent problem with applying grease to the beam sides and anywhere else where it is exposed to road dirt and grime. Grease and dirt mix and turn into a crude grinding compound. The wear pads do the sliding, the rollers rotate so there is no friction, grease actually does more harm than good IMO.
If you must use something to make steel slick, use DriSlide lubricant.
Yes it is expensive, and IMO worth every cent when used as directed. There are cheaper brands of molybdenum disulfide, at least one is in a spray can.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #13

I agree with Ray,IN. The slides you have are Kwikee Digi-Sync. I have them too. Years ago I called the manufacturer (at that time Kwikee was owned by PowerGear, now they are owned by Lippert). They said not to put anything on the rails or pads, just keep them clean. Now, once a season I clean them as best as possible and then wipe the rails lightly with a bit of dry silicone spray. Also, as fun 33V stated, I removed each roller one by one and cleaned them. A few were locked up. My slides still make noise but not like they used to.

Fun 33V - would you provide more details on the post you referred to? My search came up with lots of hits but I haven't found the right one yet. Thanks.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Kwikee slideouts

J Peterson I found the post it's excellent by "Millsrv" the title is Kwikee Digi-Sync slide problem 07 Voyager , he goes in to great detail on how the system works .I found the parts he listed on amazon under Winnebago parts ,good luck

Tags
noise, slide, slideout