Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have been having some problems with my slideout nylon supports. They seem to crack and break off. Winnebago replaced some of them when we were at the factory. I called HWH and they said they had a new style that might work better. They sent replacements. The new ones are black versus the white original nylon pads. I took some photos while I did the replacement. I replaced 8 nylon pads. My coach has 2 large slides with 2 main supports fore and aft on each slide. Each lower support has 2 nylon guides. I think the 2008 models have a solid guide which would probably eliminate this problem.

Here is an image of the parts that are failing.

My left slide has a backing plate that needs to be removed to access the upper nylon support. Removing the 4, 1/4 inch bolts and nuts was fairly easy.

Once the backing plate was removed I removed the 5/16th inch bolt which allowed the nylon bushings to be removed.

Once the upper nylon bushings are removed the slide support can be jacked up to allow access to remove the lower (problem) bushings.

After the slide support is jacked up about 3/4 of an inch the lower nylon bushings can be popped out using a small pick.

It is a little hard to see but this image shows the new black nylon bushings installed.

After this everything goes back together as it was removed.

I used a small bottle jack and a modified hand rail 4x4 to lift the slide support.

I did not dream this method up but it was given to me by Winnebago and HWH although neither would put it in writing.

Here is a picture of the broken nylon bushings and the new bushings supplied by HWH.

This took me about an hour to replace 8 bushings. I am sure not everyone who has this issue would want to tackle this themselves. Extreme caution should be used anytime a jack is being used. This is not intended to be a replacement for bringing the coach to a shop but just to show how I did the repair.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well done. Thanks for the information. I'm sure I'll be searching for this thread in the future. Thanks again.

Jack
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

First, thanks for the great pics and info. Very helpful. Second, now that you have seen both the old and new, can you tell if the new looks any stronger or will hold up anybetter? There must be a reason why they changed to the black ones. Maybe stronger, different composite?
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Outstanding information...very nice summary of your procedure.

I hold my breath every time I move the big slide, wondering if/when those nylon bushings will snap. So far, so good.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fun time:
First, thanks for the great pics and info. Very helpful. Second, now that you have seen both the old and new, can you tell if the new looks any stronger or will hold up anybetter? There must be a reason why they changed to the black ones. Maybe stronger, different composite?
Thanks all for the comments.

HWH told me they were trying a new compound. As to if they really are using a different compound or just a different color so they don't stand out when they are broken is a different story I am teasing and think they are trying something different as they most likely know there is an issue with what they have been using. Only time will tell.

HWH has treated us like we were their only customer just as Winnebago has. Their support is appreciated.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The new black nylon bushings were a tad bit thicker other than that no visible difference.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my bottom ones. On the 34 journey they are similair.I beleive that when that slide is out there is alot of weight on the bottom part of the square tubing at the end that tubing bow down. If the end of the tubing had a heavier steel around the end of that tubing it would give it strength to keep the bow out and stop the guides from breaking. The white pads are to hard and can not take that bowing action. At lease that is what I come up with, being a x - steel fabricater. If you think about it, at lease mine and the ones I seen break in half.From one side to the other. You got to bend it, to break it.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:
I replaced my bottom ones. On the 34 journey they are similair.I beleive that when that slide is out there is alot of weight on the bottom part of the square tubing at the end that tubing bow down. If the end of the tubing had a heavier steel around the end of that tubing it would give it strength to keep the bow out and stop the guides from breaking. The white pads are to hard and can not take that bowing action. At lease that is what I come up with, being a x - steel fabricater. If you think about it, at lease mine and the ones I seen break in half.From one side to the other. You got to bend it, to break it.
Did you replace with black or white nylons?

The 2008 models without the storemor no longer need the split nylon support. They now have a solid nylon and steel across the face of the support. I would think that would eliminate the problem entirely.

jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I replaced it with the white. I guest the black must have just came out. I know that the nexts one i replace I will have made with better materail. If they are biffening up then the bowing was a problem.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jimandsue60...great pics and explanation....One question....how far extended was the slide when you did your work...all the way or part way.....thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

RKL...My slides were all the way out. It would have been to difficult to do the repair with the slides in or even slightly retracted.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Fantastic Jim!! Thank you!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

You are welcome, DonavonP

Our Webpage
Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

jimandsue60 - was very interested in your pictures and replacement procedure as I just noticed one of the nylon slides on my 2004 Meridian looks like it has partially broken and started to turn sideways. Are the nylons slides held in place on a metal post, couldn't tell for sure from the picture what they are attached to? Also, was the bolt holding the upper nylon block in place very visible or was it covered with something? On mine it almost looks like just a nylon post or plug extending upward thru a hole in the metal case is all that holds the upper block in place. I may have to hunt up a Winnebago shop to work on mine, which I will hate like the plague. You never know what to expect from them. The worst part is, I was just at Forest City last spring and I could have had all this done then had I known then what I know now.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hey Jim,
It's been awhile. I just got back from Gaffney. They replaced my fuel tank; just like yours. I have the same slide problem as you. I tried to replace but I couldn't get my bottle jack to raise my slide. (I did pull it in just a little becuase I heard you should never lift it "at the edge" becuase you can pop it out). My 18 ton jack wouldn't lift it so I figured I would wait until GNR in July and ask HWH to do it. I have two boxes of the white kits. I think I'll send them back and ask for the black ones. I should just find out what else you have done so I know what will happen to me. My speedcook still works. My refrig was acting up until I just hit it with a rubber hammer a few times so life is good.
Oh, by the way I grew up in Greece and my father retired in Fort Myers. Go figure. Good to hear from you. Going to FMCA in Perry? Would love to connect. GNR?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Upon further examination of the lower nylon slides or bushings, there is a metal block about 3/4" X 2 1/2" long with a threaded bolt extending down from the brace where the nylon slides are and is attached to another smaller U-shaped brace that is attached to the outer wall of the room. The threaded end of the bolt where it attaches to the smaller brace has broken off right at the nut where it attaches to the brace. Has anyone had their's break like this and what is its purpose. I notice there doesn't seem to be one like this in Jim's pictures of his Vectra going downward from where the bushings are that he replaced, so think its just on the Meridian/Journeys, at least the 2004s. I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of this, so hope my description is too vague and hard to understand.

Appreciate any help or information that I can use when I call HWH and try to explain all this over the phone.

Thanks

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

jimandsue60 -
When you placed the wooden support under the slide ram to lift it to remove and replace the nylon blocks, did you have to work around the storage boxes? On my 2004 Meridian it looks like I would have to completely remove the box in order to be able to get any thing under the ram to lift it.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
jimandsue60 -
When you placed the wooden support under the slide ram to lift it to remove and replace the nylon blocks, did you have to work around the storage boxes? On my 2004 Meridian it looks like I would have to completely remove the box in order to be able to get any thing under the ram to lift it.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
My slides come out far enough to put the wooden block inboard of the storage boxes, but just outboard of the nylon blocks to be replaced. Yours might be different.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks Jim, I'll take another look to see how much room I have, was thinking the support would have to be as far outboard as possible. If I remember right though, the inboard side of the storage box is right under where the nylon glides are. There is also a large bolt running from the underside of the ram right at the nylon slides down to a brace attached to the top of the storage box and then going on the the outside wall of the room, which for some reason has broken. Really a messed up deal.
Thanks again.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

this is a follow up on this thread. Does Jim still have the pics, since I can
only see a couple pics?

Also, has anybody since the end of the thread replaced their bushing themselves?

Thanks,

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote