RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Smart Wheel control module

Hi All
I wonder if any one can tell me where the Smart Wheel control module for my 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD might be located.

According to the Winnebago schematics it s/b in the cargo space directly below the drivers window. I am 1500 miles from my rig right now but my memory tells me it is not there, but you know how memory works, maybe it is.

The back story: I have been having problems with the wipers quitting since I got the rig 3 years ago. first they worked perfect, then they and a few other things on the same circuit would quite working when the wipers were turned on. I would reset the circuit breaker and things would work for a while. I was poking around and found that the wipers had a 40 amp fuse installed when it should have been a 15 amp fuse. I switched it back to a 15 amp fuse and had no more problems for about a year and then the 15 amp fuse started blowing. I had the shop check the wiper motor and they could find nothing wrong. so I kept changing fuses till I wore out the fuse holder. I had the shop wire in a new fuse holder and again everything worked good for 6 months or so and then the wipers started blowing fuses again or SO I THOUGHT. After a while I discovered that all I had to do to get them working again was pull the fuse and put it back in and the wipers would continue their cycle and park themselves. The Tech, where the MC is now, saw this and suggested that the problem is in the control module. Once you pull the power the control module resets till the next time whatever causes the problem happens and then it has to be reset again.
So I tracked down the maker of these controls, "Vehicle Improvement Products" and ended talking to their engineer who said before I have the control replaced I should have the wiper output wires switched to an unused plug on the module as they had redundant circuitry built into this unit for the wiper part of the controls (I think because some units they put this in have 2 wiper motors).

So cheap fix. if If the tech doesn't waste a lot of time finding the control and it works.

Thanks
Wayne Ridsdale

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should find the Smart Wheel controller right where it's shown on page 4 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach, which is in the left front outside compartment. You'll need to remove a number of screws so that the inner door of the electrical compartment can hinge open, allowing access to all of the wiring.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

I can confirm Chris's statement on it's location. I've had to deal with mine when I had a wiper problem a few years ago. Yep, it's in that compartment, up high on the back wall. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine not located there.

Chris and Fire Up, mine is located on the inside under the dash way back in the left front corner, but even so the mobile rv guy couldn't see it. I checked my wiring for my coach and that is where it says it is. I am going to look for it myself but so far no luck. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

Wayne, if that is where yours is, you are unique. I have your sister ship, same year, and can confirm what Chris and Scott said. Open your fuse bay front left under the driver... you will see a wall of breakers. That's actually a hinged door, hinge is on the left side. Take out the 4-5 screws that hold it closed, swing it to the left slowly. Lots of cables. Inside you'll see several control modules... your River Park Surround Sound system, the Keyless Entry control box, and should have your Smart Wheel module among others. Plus at the bottom a bank of relays for everything from door/compartment locks to fog lights. A lot of stuff in there to be aware of if something fails. Look on page 74 of your wiring manual for the layout. Your Smart Wheel module is center left.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
Chris and Fire Up, mine is located on the inside under the dash way back in the left front corner, but even so the mobile rv guy couldn't see it. I checked my wiring for my coach and that is where it says it is. I am going to look for it myself but so far no luck. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
I don't know if you have a 39F or 39K Journey, but this diagram is the same for both: Front End Wiring Installation. Page 5 shows the location of the SmartWheel controller.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #7

Sorry, I got confused and thought Boltdave was the OP with the Horizon. Didn't realize he had a Journey.

emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote