RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #1

Now that the Journey has 11.8K miles iw ould have thought the smell of "slightly" burning brakes would go away. Not so. I use the exhaust brake all the time to help me slow but if I apply the breaks at a moderate pressure to come to a stop I get the brake smell in the cabin. Some my ask what moderate means,,it's not an emergency stop and its not a crusing slow stop. To me it would be a normal stop simular to pressure when you stop an auto. I first noticed it when the coach had about 3.5K on it. It does not seem to get worse even when I do make a quick stop for that stop now or go through the stop light type of stop. There is moderate squell when I make a slow stop but I figure tghat's just because of the way I do slow stops...long and lingering.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal for air brakes?

jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

Now that the Journey has 11.8K miles iw ould have thought the smell of "slightly" burning brakes would go away. Not so. I use the exhaust brake all the time to help me slow but if I apply the breaks at a moderate pressure to come to a stop I get the brake smell in the cabin. Some my ask what moderate means,,it's not an emergency stop and its not a crusing slow stop. To me it would be a normal stop simular to pressure when you stop an auto. I first noticed it when the coach had about 3.5K on it. It does not seem to get worse even when I do make a quick stop for that stop now or go through the stop light type of stop. There is moderate squell when I make a slow stop but I figure tghat's just because of the way I do slow stops...long and lingering.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal for air brakes?

jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #3

The only time I could smell brake lining was when we were coming down a loooooong and wet grade (i.e., no Jake brake useage) last summer in Alaksa. Never smelled them before or since.

Squealing brakes on a Freightliner chassis are not that unusual. Mine do sometimes but I just ignore it.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Smelly brakes are pretty normal on the Journey. The Journey has drum brakes up front and heat up quicker especially in alot of stop and go driving. They also tend to squeal alot when hot. The good part is they stop you I think better than hydraulic brakes.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Mine only smell when doing a quicker than normal stop and squeal whenever the mood strikes them most of the time no squeal and no smell.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 AM   #6

I've only smelled my brakes one time. Driving aross Indiana and came popping over a hill at about 65. All traffic stopped. Applied brakes, real hard. We got stopped with about 20' to spare, left tire rubber on the road and had hot brakes and hot rubber smell in the MH for a while. Not sure if antilock kicked in, not sure what it would sound like, I'd susecpect it to be different from a vehicle that uses hydraulic brakes. There was rubber on the road from our tires but it wasn't the real heavy black strips as when wheels lock up.

gunny is offline   Reply With Quote