Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

So it begins...

How new are we at this? So new we dont even HAVE our new (to us) motorhome yet. So new that this is my very first post. So new that there is SO much we dont know, we have just said "the heck with it" and decided to jump in both feet and see how it comes out in the wash.

Anyway, the unit we are looking at is a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with 50000 miles. She appears to be in great shape, but my guess is that I will need to put all new belts and hoses on it. I know the fuel filters need to be done, the radio dosent work, and i am missing the tv out of the back bedroom.

I took it out for a drive, and everything else works just dandy. (moderator edit) Do you folks have any advice on this type of unit? I know you cant tell to much from the pictures, but i have alot to learn, and any help is appreciated.

Beyond that, i suppose some context is in order. We are not full timers. The plan is twice a month for three days. then two weeks in the summer, and two in the winter. Hopefully more than that once our ten year old no longer thinks we are cool.

I am happy to be part of the group, I appologize in advance for the rules I inadvertantly break, and i thank you and appreciate any help and advice you care to offer!

Dale
TooCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When you say that you know the fuel filters need to be changed, my antenna go up. These are standard replacement items during annual service and the ad indicated that there was a recent "oil change". Are all of the service records available? That should give you a good base to start from and if they are not available I wouldn't think it's necessarily a deal breaker but it will say something about how the prior owner(s) cared for the coach.

At any rate, I would suggest hiring a qualified RV inspector to give it a good going over. As a newbie, you might consider an extended warranty/service contract. Although many folks don't like them, they can provide a degree of peace of mind if you get a good one.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rick! The owner basically had this for two seasons, and took it for one long trip. He changed the oil himself, however when i asked him about the fuel filters he said "fuel filters? Nope, i never changed those". My thoughts being that anything I am not absolutely convinced is good, I will do (or get done). I will take your advice on getting an inspection. Do I take it to an RV place, or do I take it to freightliner? Both?
Dale
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCold View Post
I will take your advice on getting an inspection. Do I take it to an RV place, or do I take it to freightliner? Both?
Dale
I would rather others with more experience buying used coaches answer your question about inspections. Like you, we jumped in with both feet... but into deeper water... purchasing a brand new 40DP so don't really have direct experience in this area.

In 2004, I do believe that the Horizon was the flagship of the Itasca line and it looks as though it's very nicely appointed.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check rvservicereviews.com for ratings on mechanics in your area. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars for a proper inspection. It's the best insurance that you can buy. We jumped into RVing with both feet, buying our current rig two years ago, and have no regrets. Start off with some local 1 or 2 day trips to get familiar with the rig and with campground proceedures. Yes, it's a lot to learn - but other owners and forums such as this can be a great help.

Welcome to the adventure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In 50,000 miles and 8 years there are other things that should have been done. Transmission fluid change, coolant fluid change, possible engine adjustments to valves etc. and probably tires are due.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Great points you guys-I checked out that rv service website, and found a few places that look promising (unfortunately up here in Edmonton, each place only had a single review, so hard to base an opinion on it). Does anyone know if Michellins came standard on my unit? Thats whats on it now, and they look in good shape. I will check the year on them ASAP. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and have all the fluids changed, along with the belts, hoses and filters. Sounds like a 2000 dollar touch (just guessing).
Dale
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Michelin was standard on mine in 2007. I have 50000 on mine now too and they still "look" like new. Check your date codes and I'll bet they are original equipment.

I can't say for sure, but I'll bet your $2K estimate for all fluids, belts, filters, and hoses is a little light. Replacing the Michelins will probably be another ~$3500 or more... not sure of their price in Canada.

I do like your approach going in to this. Far too many newbies make their first purchase using the same mindset as when purchasing an automobile... just write the check for the purchase price and then turn the key and go. IMO, these things have to be treated much more like a boat or airplane where maintenance is the name of the game.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to check around all the slides, especially in the bedroom, for any evidence of leaks. Anything that needs done (tires, filters, etc.) should come the price. I don't know if the $82K is USD or Canadian but the price in USD is on the high side.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

TooCold,

Welcome and congrats on the new coach. We have the sister ship to yours. Ours is, for the most part, a twin to yours. Some small differences like, Paint, interior color, dinette vs table & chairs, 4 door fridge vs 2 dr. You'll really get to like this coach. As you've already noticed, there's tons of room both in and outside the coach. Your basement compartments are identical to ours, sliding drawer and all.

I have one question for you. And, this may or may not apply to other owners of the same style/model/brand of coach here. In the pictures, the one of the rear of the coach, there's a substantial difference in appearance of the swing down gate/access door than the way it looks on ours. In the one you're about to purchase, the access door has a "solid" bar or, horizontal petition, whereas ours, has the same grill on the swing down as it does on the stationary portion that sits below the swing down.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your new plans or happiness about coach but, to me, that petition sure seems it would "impede" the flow of the air from the fan on the top part of the radiator. I'm certainly no expert on air flow back there but, it just seems to me that might hinder quality air flow.

The advice you've been given about looking for potential leaks etc. on the slides is good advice. I'd be glad to assist you on where to look etc. As many of us have, I've done lots of "small" repairs, upgrades to various items on the coach over the 18 months we've owned ours. I'm sure you're going to be incredibly happy with your new rig. Since our two rigs are very close to sisters, you can PM me with any issue you feel the need to.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06HEXT5.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	25857  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately that price is what we get stuck with up here :(

It is generally accepted that we will pay 10-20% more up here (atleast). I guess to put in perspective, my next closest option up here was an 07 seeya for the same price...but it needed a new everything. Paint, interior, generator....
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

As has been noted, get everything checked. I'd be wary of buying a coach from someone who had it for 8 years and did not know it had fuel filters. What else did he ignore? Air dryer filters, air filter, tranny, etc.

I would not only get a qualified RV/Diesel mechanic to check everything out but I would insist on an engine oil analysis and tranny fluid analysis. They can reveal a lot about the overall health of the running gear.

Also agree, that if you do belts, hoses, coolant, oil, rear diff. fluid, tranny fluid/filters, air cleaner, air dryer filters, genset service, you are looking at $3,000 - $4,000. I would not care what brand of tires it had, if they are 2004, they need to be replaced.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
As has been noted, get everything checked. I'd be wary of buying a coach from someone who had it for 8 years and did not know it had fuel filters. What else did he ignore? Air dryer filters, air filter, tranny, etc.

I would not only get a qualified RV/Diesel mechanic to check everything out but I would insist on an engine oil analysis and tranny fluid analysis. They can reveal a lot about the overall health of the running gear.

Also agree, that if you do belts, hoses, coolant, oil, rear diff. fluid, tranny fluid/filters, air cleaner, air dryer filters, genset service, you are looking at $3,000 - $4,000. I would not care what brand of tires it had, if they are 2004, they need to be replaced.
Thanks for this! You know, when i first wrote that post..I put $4000.00 as the number..then I changed it to 2000 ~lol~ guess i need to go with my gut! Anyway, the owner i am getting this from (potentially) had it for two seasons. Before that-who knows? He said he brought it up from California after a dealers auction. I think i am prepared to go into this at the start and just clean slate it. Full service, replace all the regular replaceables. Might as well say 10 grand, and do the tires also.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have one question for you. And, this may or may not apply to other owners of the same style/model/brand of coach here. In the pictures, the one of the rear of the coach, there's a substantial difference in appearance of the swing down gate/access door than the way it looks on ours. In the one you're about to purchase, the access door has a "solid" bar or, horizontal petition, whereas ours, has the same grill on the swing down as it does on the stationary portion that sits below the swing down.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your new plans or happiness about coach but, to me, that petition sure seems it would "impede" the flow of the air from the fan on the top part of the radiator. I'm certainly no expert on air flow back there but, it just seems to me that might hinder quality air flow.
Perhaps it is a different engine, I think both Cummins and Cat were available in 2004.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCold
Unfortunately that price is what we get stuck with up here :(

It is generally accepted that we will pay 10-20% more up here (atleast). I guess to put in perspective, my next closest option up here was an 07 seeya for the same price...but it needed a new everything. Paint, interior, generator....
I think from your comments that you are pretty well down the road on this purchase and unlikely to change direction at this point....BUT....if you are planning to throw-in another 10K to get this thing right....for a total of $92K....take a moment.

The selection of DP's in Alberta may be pretty limited, but the selection in Arizona, Texas, California and for that matter the rest of the US is NOT limited. It is also kinda tough when you are sitting in Alberta (which is still booming) to appreciate that the economy in much of the US is still pretty soft. In other words...you are making your choice/decision based on a low supply / high priced market...where with a little effort you could expand your search to include some high supply / much lower priced market(s).

We bought our MH in Los Angeles and drove it back to Alberta....this was an easy, easy proposition so don't be intimidated or afraid to expand your search into the USA.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Dale, welcome to the forum. Once you determine if the tires are original, they should be replaced before any long trips.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I just emailed the current owners to find out about the tires-You are all correct, that will be extremely important.

Many thanks;
Dale
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I think from your comments that you are pretty well down the road on this purchase and unlikely to change direction at this point....BUT....if you are planning to throw-in another 10K to get this thing right....for a total of $92K....take a moment.

We bought our MH in Los Angeles and drove it back to Alberta....this was an easy, easy proposition so don't be intimidated or afraid to expand your search into the USA.
I have been looking in the US also still waiting for a call back on a sweet 08 diplomat, if they drop 40 grand in price , but I have a sneaking suspicion that with anything but A new unit, I will want to do "stuff" so I am satisfied its safe. One question though, do they zing us with GST when you come across the border?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCold

I have been looking in the US also still waiting for a call back on a sweet 08 diplomat, if they drop 40 grand in price , but I have a sneaking suspicion that with anything but A new unit, I will want to do "stuff" so I am satisfied its safe. One question though, do they zing us with GST when you come across the border?
You betta cha! No way you can avoid Canadian taxes.....but you will not need to pay US State taxes.....you'll also have to calculate your travel costs to get it back to Edmonton (time-off work, diesel, campground fees, food, etc) plus inspection fees (federal & provincial - no big deal $400). Make sure you also have you air brake endorsement before you get too far down this road.

All in.....way better selection & choice.....way better prices. Remember if you save 30% on 100K....well I wouldn't be in too big a rush. You won't be doing much RVing in N.Alberta over the next six months!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote