RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Sofa pull out foot rest latch issue

I have a 2017 Suncruiser 35P with two pull out foot rests on my sofa sleeper. The cable end where it attaches to the latch release is poorly designed. As a result, the cable end frequently slips through the latch connector which prevents the latch from fully engaging (see photos). Consequently if I forget to relocate the cable end before closing, the foot rest will slide open when traveling. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, have you designed a fix? The service manager doesnít have any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC1B4F92-738B-4940-B97A-3AF59DFFF95D.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	234212   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD16A675-C12D-4D6B-878E-17EE9CBD120F.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	234213  

richsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsad View Post
I have a 2017 Suncruiser 35P with two pull out foot rests on my sofa sleeper. The cable end where it attaches to the latch release is poorly designed. As a result, the cable end frequently slips through the latch connector which prevents the latch from fully engaging (see photos). Consequently if I forget to relocate the cable end before closing, the foot rest will slide open when traveling. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, have you designed a fix? The service manager doesnít have any suggestions.
I was having the same problem. After looking carefully, at the cable, I realized it was installed in the wrong hole. I moved it to the adjacent hole and that fixed the problem. The way it was initially installed didn't allow the cable to stay tight which allowed the footrest to open at will.

kjsportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsad View Post
Note the two nuts on either side of the bracket the cable housing passes through. They are to adjust the position of the S shaped cable end relative to the hole in the latch lever. If there is not enough adjustment to properly align the cable end the bracket can be bent slightly.

This is the same system Winnebago has been using since at least 2001. I would bet the cable was either never adjusted properly when it was installed, or the nuts have come loose over time. We had to adjust both of ours on our 2013 Adventurer. In our case they had just worked loose over time. No bending of the bracket was necessary.

When you get yours adjusted to work properly apply a little Loctite 242 (available at any hardware or home improvement store) to the threads before tightening the nuts. The Loctite will keep them from loosening and they will still be adjustable with a wrench
Old 02-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick response and the insight. Coach is still at the dealer for some other warranty work but I will see what I can do when I get it back.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just completed the same repair. Found that the cable requires/required proper adjustment.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow Thanks! Thought it was just me who had footrest deploy going down the road even though I know I put it away.
BMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

I have the same issue with the exact same type of cable. It snapped and got a replacement from Winnebago. Occasionally I need to reattach it.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
the 2006 adventurer 38t we got has the same issue
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Ours seems to be ok since replacing the cable.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #10

Since I got my coach back from the dealer and the adjustments made there, I haven’t had any issues.

« Towing | Airhorn »