Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #1

I used to get 13.7 V when we are plugged into shore power and the solar panel light bright red. Now I only read 13.2 Volts plugged into shore power and the light bright red. I checked after the sun went down and got the same reading of 13.2... I think the charging light reads charging but it's really not.
I check and did a search but couldn't find the same problem... Is there a fuse or something I could check???
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #2

I used to get 13.7 V when we are plugged into shore power and the solar panel light bright red. Now I only read 13.2 Volts plugged into shore power and the light bright red. I checked after the sun went down and got the same reading of 13.2... I think the charging light reads charging but it's really not.
I check and did a search but couldn't find the same problem... Is there a fuse or something I could check???
Old 09-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #3

Ed,

If your batteries are charged (charger in float mode) 13.2 volts is normal.

If the batteries are being bulk charged, voltage will go to 13.7 volts or even higher.

The red light only indicates that the solar panel is producing voltage. The solar panel does not have a regulator. Its ability to deliver a charge is entirely dependant on the amount of sunlight hitting the solar panel.
The solar panel however is only powerful enough to compensate for phantom loads.

If you don't see at least 13.7 volts while bulk charging the problem is with the regular charger. Again if the batteries are at full charge a normal maintenance charge (float mode) is about 13.2 volts
Old 09-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #4

Agree with Harry - the red LED for the solar panel doesn't mean much. Mine will light up even when the coach is under a roof The light only means you don't have a break in the solar charging circuit and it's not pitch black out.

It's hard to tell why you are seeing half a volt difference. Are your batteries original?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies!
I guess the problem is there isn't one!
Our batteries are Mega-Tron 2 years old.
Checked them when unplugged they both checked at 12.5 water level is right up there...
When we came back today I tried the switch and it read 13.7 when charging with the sun out..
Again thanks,
Ed