Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Solar Panels

Not sure where this is supposed to go so here goes.

We have a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. Almost dead center on the roof is a black tube for solar wiring.

Where does it go? I suspect the breaker panel to the right of the entry door. But where can I find it?

I have my solar panels (4 X 100W each) 10 ga wire and my controller. I know how to wire the system.

What I need is some adult guidance/supervision on how to get my wiring from the roof to where I can find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Glen
Major Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where are your batteries? I suspect that is where you need to get to anyway. One question though. Are you sure it isn't a vent for your black or grey water tanks? I have never seen a pipe for running cables.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Where are your batteries? I suspect that is where you need to get to anyway. One question though. Are you sure it isn't a vent for your black or grey water tanks? I have never seen a pipe for running cables.
No the online Winnie description of rooftop items shows that plastic pipe to be the solar wiring access. In fact the removal cap is labeled solar. My house batteries are located mid coach on the drivers side. Starting battery is under the entry step.

I think the solar access tube comes out where the 12VDC breakers are, just right of the steps. But I'd like to confirm that before ripping into that panel cover.

Comments from those who have gone before me on this type project would be welcome.

Thanks for your comments.
Major Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:18 AM   #4

I would think the solar access you have identified would go to a location where you can install the charge controller. The controller will need to be where is is protected from weather and extreme heat. Normally it would be mounted in a readily accessible location.

I would love to hear how your install goes because I am considering adding 600 watts of solar panels to my 34’ Journey. Texas summer heat will likely require #4 wire if I can keep the run short enough. Your comment on 10 gauge wire leads me to think you will wire each panel back to the charge controller. Is that the prefered method to connect on a RV?
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGale View Post
I would think the solar access you have identified would go to a location where you can install the charge controller. The controller will need to be where is is protected from weather and extreme heat. Normally it would be mounted in a readily accessible location.

I would love to hear how your install goes because I am considering adding 600 watts of solar panels to my 34’ Journey. Texas summer heat will likely require #4 wire if I can keep the run short enough. Your comment on 10 gauge wire leads me to think you will wire each panel back to the charge controller. Is that the prefered method to connect on a RV?
MartinGale, i just finished a solar install on our 2005 36' Journey. Spent several days researching on getting the wire down from the roof and decided that pulling out the norcold and running the wires down to the basement that direction. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_131723.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	254828Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_111440.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	254829
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Neub.

Neub, How did you go from there?
Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
Neub, How did you go from there?
Underneath the refrigerator area was the area where the propane tank is located but there is a closed space about 12" high that separates the bottom of the refrig compartment and the top of the propane tank area. I took off that panel (which is a mess since it is sealed with some black rubberized stuff) since i needed to drill down through that area to run the wires to the frame. Poor photo attached, but good thing i didnt drill blind by not taking that panel off as there are water lines, electrical wiring and part of the gray tank located in that area. The white hose you see in the photo is the drain hose from the refrig compartment area down to the propane tank frame area. Just to the right and slightly behind that hose you should see black plastic wire loom which containes the solar panel wires. Once wires where down to the frame then routed over to the controller in a bay and on to the battery compartment.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_101007.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	254950
Old 07-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to get the wiring from the panels to the controller and then to the batteries. The wiring should be as direct as possible to minimize loss. Mount the controller where it will be visible. You will find you can follow the route from the controller that the inside 12v wiring takes to reach the breakers near the battery - there will be access to a route to the basement that you can use. Add a 30 amp breaker near the battery compartment. I took the solar wiring to a common point where both the house and engine batteries were connected - find that point using the wiring diagrams - in my coach it is where the Trik-L-Start connections are made behind a breaker panel aft of the DS rear axle. You want your solar to charge both sets of batteries don’t take the wiring directly to the house or coach batteries. Don’t use the fridge route - take the most direct route to the controller and drill a hole through the roof to get the wiring between a wall or above a cabinet in the bathroom. Time spent studying your wiring diagrams before you start installation will provide a better installation with lower losses. I have had my solar installed for 7 years and is an excellent investment. I suggest at least 400 watts or more. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

I had orginally looked at going through the roof into the electrical area by the bathroom area but neither i or an electrican friend of mine was able to fish a line from there to the frame area due to the twists and turns the electrical loom goes through the area locted above the wet bay so the frig route was the next choice but the benefit there was that it was the shortest route to the batteries which are located immediately behind the the propane tank area, everything is on the passenger side, bathroom area was drivers side. Basically you need to figure out the best path that you are able to route your wires and an extra 4 or 5 feet of wire doesnt make a microamp of difference, but if concerned make it up with gauge.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neub - you will find Winnebago runs cabling to the battery are under the cabinets on both sides of the coach with the actual opening near/above the batteries. Try removing bottom cabinet drawers and you should find the route. Mine went below a bench seat in the bedroom - it wont obviously be in a slideout - and I had to remove the inside bottom panel to access the opening to the basement . Made cable routing ultra simple. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Already completed the project going the current direction but thanks for the info but given our layout i would go the current path again. Had asked for suggestions on the forum few weeks ago and the only person that had similar layout also suggested frig route. Thanks again.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels