Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

Our '03 Journey has experienced another failure of the diaphram in the solenoid valve that has to do with the winterization scheme. First failure happened when I was topping off the fresh water tank at the house. Flushed the hose, hooked it up and when I turned on the water, the slenoid immediately started to leak and the pump started. Ended up buying a new solenoid vale to the tune of $284.00. Dealer indicated that they had replaced that valve on that machine back in January (before we bought it used) and had assumed it to have been a failure due to freezing.
Last week while on the road wife and I were njoying breakfast when the water pump ran momentarily, thought it might be caused by the ice maker or a faucet not being completely closed (bathromm sink sometimes will drip)but after a couple of minutes it ran again for a few seconds. I got up and started looing for a dripping faucet and then the pump came back on and stayed on, a walk out side and water was pouring out of the water connection compartment. Solenoid failed again, same failure, same place. Was lucky enough to be able to plumb around the solenoid valve and continue on our merry way.
I can see one failing from time to time but one in January, one in July and now one in September. Either Winny has bought up a lot of very poor quality solenoid valves (they appear to be a good quality device) or something else is going on here. The diaphrams have tear in them. As the first failure happened when it is possible to have caused a pressure spike but not the second one.
Any thoughts, ideas, comments, fixes? Not looking forward to spending another $284 for one that historically will fail with 6 months.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #2

Our '03 Journey has experienced another failure of the diaphram in the solenoid valve that has to do with the winterization scheme. First failure happened when I was topping off the fresh water tank at the house. Flushed the hose, hooked it up and when I turned on the water, the slenoid immediately started to leak and the pump started. Ended up buying a new solenoid vale to the tune of $284.00. Dealer indicated that they had replaced that valve on that machine back in January (before we bought it used) and had assumed it to have been a failure due to freezing.
Last week while on the road wife and I were njoying breakfast when the water pump ran momentarily, thought it might be caused by the ice maker or a faucet not being completely closed (bathromm sink sometimes will drip)but after a couple of minutes it ran again for a few seconds. I got up and started looing for a dripping faucet and then the pump came back on and stayed on, a walk out side and water was pouring out of the water connection compartment. Solenoid failed again, same failure, same place. Was lucky enough to be able to plumb around the solenoid valve and continue on our merry way.
I can see one failing from time to time but one in January, one in July and now one in September. Either Winny has bought up a lot of very poor quality solenoid valves (they appear to be a good quality device) or something else is going on here. The diaphrams have tear in them. As the first failure happened when it is possible to have caused a pressure spike but not the second one.
Any thoughts, ideas, comments, fixes? Not looking forward to spending another $284 for one that historically will fail with 6 months.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #3

Gunny,

I have just gone through the same thing with my system. The company that was the supplier to Winnie on the system was Swan Industries out of Bend, OR. They no longer use the same valves on their systems but when I called them, they were very helpful and sent me a couple of the diaphrams that came off used valves. I took mine out of the coach and performed the repair on the bench. Lasted for a 5 day trip to Mexico and when we got back, I noticed that we have a leak again. I have not determined if the leak is in fact the valve or a connecting fitting that I had some trouble with when I put it all back together. Will be taking a look at it in a couple of weeks. I would definetly try talking to the folks at Swan bvefore I would pay almost $3000 for a new valve from Winnie. When I was checking on replacing the valve, my local dealer gave me a price of $189 for the valve. Still overpriced but a bit better than they are quoting you. My next step would be bypassing the valve entirely or replacing the system if I needed to winterize (which I do not).

Swan Industries
(541) 389-4668

Tomcat 15 (Rich) has a history with these valves as well. Give me a email at rbuddrus@earthlink.net and i'll give you his email. Don't want to put it public.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote