Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Squeaky Slides When Traveling

I'm new the Class A world. Just took ownership of a 2015 Adventurer 38Q. I have noticed a lot of squeaks and screeching sounds coming from both front slides while traveling on somewhat rough roads. This may be "normal" but thought I'd post my concern. My guess is the noise is coming from the slide rubber seals? Slight shifting of the slide against the sides? I've had them extended and retracted several times but the occasional squeaks persists. If this is common is there a remedy of some sort? The noise first became apparent when bringing the coach home from Forest City to Maryland. While on I80 south of Chicago on the Indiana toll road I thought the slides would fall out. That stretch of interstate is the worst I've encountered anywhere. That's when the squeaking began.

Any insight much appreciated.
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've got the same issue on one of mine. So far they replaced the guide rails and the problem persists. Winnebago is sending another part (I don't know what it is yet) to try and see if it fixes the problem. I'll know soon.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

At the factory a Winnebago tech told me to use cornstarch on the seals. Another one told a friend to use baby/talcum powder.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

What Clay said.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. I had a hunch baby powder would fix it. Somehow it seems appropriate given the sound it produces.
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My local CW just got in touch w/ me and advised whatever Winnebago sent resolved the squeaking while underway. I'll find out more when I pick the rig up on Saturday and I'll post back what they did.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2014 Vista with the same issue and have had the factory rep and the dealer try many "fixes" including the PowerLube with PTFE--three times with no success. I think the problem is caused by slight movement of the slide when underway. I called Winnebago and asked them to send me two travel bars for the front slides. I have not had the opportunity to try them yet but by using them to apply slight pressure to the slides should stop any movement and the squeaks! Safe travels and enjoy your new rig!
John A in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have been having the same problem with my 2013 35g. On the testdrive it was very noisy so I had them take care of that before taking delivery. I do not know what the fix was but it only lasted about 1,500 miles before it slowly started squeking again.
I sprayed the seals with a silicone spray yesterday and it got better but did not go away. Mine is only making noise in the upper forward passenger area.
I do have other squeeks and noises from the house in the drivers compartment but have always accepted that as normal since all of the 5 RVs I have owned all had that problem on rough roads.
I will try additional remedies and report.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2014 Vista with two slides towards the front and so far only one (the one behind me the driver) squeaks a lot. On our last trip home I came up with the idea of something that I could place on the wall and the slide and screw something out to put some pressure on the slide to prevent some of the squeaks. I haven't done it yet but will soon. Now I'm reading that they make something called a "Travel Bar." What is that? I guess if I Googled it I'd probably see.

John A, did you get the travel bars and do they work???

Our 1999 DS had two levers (one at each end) that put pressure on both sides of the slide forcing it tight. They worked very nicely.

TeJay
Old 07-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Baby powder

On you tube there is a video on applying baby powder to the slide seals so that the rubber will not scratch the paint. It clearly shows how to apply on a sock for the inside seals and how to apply outside as well. I believe it was RV geeks, but not positive.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A in NC View Post
I have a 2014 Vista with the same issue and have had the factory rep and the dealer try many "fixes" including the PowerLube with PTFE--three times with no success. I think the problem is caused by slight movement of the slide when underway. I called Winnebago and asked them to send me two travel bars for the front slides. I have not had the opportunity to try them yet but by using them to apply slight pressure to the slides should stop any movement and the squeaks! Safe travels and enjoy your new rig!
This might be what they did to mine. They replaced the slide rails - still squeaky. They sprayed something they could only get from Winnebago - no more squeaks.

For now I suppose.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

TeJay-I received the travel bars from Winnebago but am not heading out on the road until late Aug or early Sept so no road test yet. The problem lies with the new slide system as in my opinion it is not sturdy enough to hold the slides securely when underway. The manufacturer of the slides (Lippert) suggested spraying the point where the motors contact the gear track with Powerlube with PTFE. Camping World did that twice and my dealer once and it did lessen the noise for a 100 miles or so. That confirmed to me where the problem was so I tried a ratchet strap across to both slides and no squeaks but looked terrible! I called Winnebago and said I would shut up if the would send me two travel bars.
John A in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I don't know, seems like just bellying up to the meager cost to buy the bars on your own would be much easier/direct, no?

Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I'm going to order 2; can't hurt right?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Slide locks would be great, unless you forget to remove them!
YA know S___ happens!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

2015 Sightseer 35 G. Passenger side slide squeezed badly. Dealer lubed it by peeling back the seal and spraying the mechanism. So far silent. There is a video on You Tube showing the lube procedure.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

John A,
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at those locks and had two thoughts. First I don't believe it will take much pressure to steady the slides and reduce the noise. Secondly I think I can build some using roughly the same idea, but I'll make them a little stouter so I can put pressure using just one on each side but in the middle of the slide. Our 1999 DS had the scissors type of slide mechanism that did just that and it was about in the middle. That large slide was on the drivers side and it never made noises as we traveled. I'm sure I can easily design some made out of wood that will spread the pressure most of the slide height.

TeJay

Tags
slide, travel