Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Squeal from air brakes when released

I've got this annoying whistle or squeal from my air brakes when I let off the brake pedal. I'm sure its wherever the air is releasing. Is that normal or do I need to clean/replace something?
Freightliner Maxum.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine does the same thing. I don't think it's an indication of a problem really. I hear that same noise from big trucks and dump trucks all the time. Could ask Freightliner about it I guess.

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Not unusual especially when you release slowly. Play around with it and see if there is a difference between taking your foot off slowly or quickly. Don't think you have a problem. I driven lots of different rigs with air brakes. I remember on particular school bus that was very "vocal".
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Brad,
As stated, it's really not too normal but, it happens way more than is reported on here and other R V forums. It's basically how the application air for the brakes escapes the brake cans and, the treadle valve under the dash. Since air is used to apply the brakes, the more you push on the pedal, the more you use, per given application of the brakes.

And on some, that air, after it's used for the brake application, will escape through the valving on the brake cans. The orifice it escape through, may not be perfectly shaped or, has acquired an burr or, a piece of debris etc. that is causing the whistling effect. If your brakes are working correctly and without issue, your'e more than likely fine albeit that the noise, is annoying.

You should have heard many of our early model fire trucks when we released both the emergency brakes and the service brakes. It sounded like someone was torturing a cat. That noise was seriously embarrassing when we were leaving a scene at 2:00 A.M. in the morning in a residential neighborhood.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I may get under there and let the wife release the brakes a few times to see if I can find which one its coming from. Its not too loud in the cab, but in bumper to bumper traffic (which is 100% of the time in Denver) its got to be disturbing to the guy next to me on his cell phone
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Thanks, I may get under there and let the wife release the brakes a few times to see if I can find which one its coming from. Its not too loud in the cab, but in bumper to bumper traffic (which is 100% of the time in Denver) its got to be disturbing to the guy next to me on his cell phone
If there was a guy or gal next to me on a cell phone while driving, I'd do it as many times as I could, based on how long my air lasted.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes