Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Step light

I normally do not go into our '09 Tour after dark when stored, but last night I did and found that when I opened the door the step light went on. I thought I had forgotten to turn off the power but found that both the chassis and coach power switches were in the off position. Turned them on to do my maintenence and after turned them off. When I opened the door I found that the light had come on and when I closed the door it turned off as it should. I thought with both power switches in the off position all power was disconnected. Would like any thoughts or suggestions as I would like all power off when stored.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

I have a 2007 W and noticed the light didn't work when I removed the step in order to re-paint the rusty panel above the step. The light cover was removed and the bulb checks out but the light doesn't come on. There is a red wire that appears to have been cut and is hanging out. would this indicate that someone cut it to prevent battery drain with the step open? Anyone have any LED ideas for the step? It seems like an excellent place for some led strips to light the steps at night.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
I normally do not go into our '09 Tour after dark when stored, but last night I did and found that when I opened the door the step light went on. I thought I had forgotten to turn off the power but found that both the chassis and coach power switches were in the off position. Turned them on to do my maintenence and after turned them off. When I opened the door I found that the light had come on and when I closed the door it turned off as it should. I thought with both power switches in the off position all power was disconnected. Would like any thoughts or suggestions as I would like all power off when stored.
MDPD,
I'm certainly no expert on this as the step light issue's been brought up a few times before. To the best of my knowledge, there's a few circuits that have some residual juice left intact if the battery switches are turned off. I cannot name all of them but, some are memory circuits for certain operations on/in the coach and, I'm thinking maybe it's some sort of safety thing if the door step light system is left on when the battery switch is in the off position. The reason, this way the light can still be activated to light the steps, for climbing into a coach at night with all the battery/lighting systems off. Just a guess here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH347 View Post
I have a 2007 W and noticed the light didn't work when I removed the step in order to re-paint the rusty panel above the step. The light cover was removed and the bulb checks out but the light doesn't come on. There is a red wire that appears to have been cut and is hanging out. would this indicate that someone cut it to prevent battery drain with the step open? Anyone have any LED ideas for the step? It seems like an excellent place for some led strips to light the steps at night.
WH347,
First off, as you would know, the light is only on when the door is opened. And, that light, is normally a series 194 or equal so, the draw in a motor home electrical system is, well, infinitely small. Probably couldn't run down a set of house batteries in a month. But, you asked if an LED replacement can be applied. Yep, there's a few that will fit right into the socket of that same base.

There's lots of places for you to find one but, www.superbrightleds.com is a pretty good site for lots of options. All you need to know is what base you have if, it's not the normal 194 base. They have LED strips too. In fact, that's not a bad idea as long as the strip you get is labeled: "Waterproof" since that area gets a serious amount of splash etc.

Here's one that would work if you wanted to replace the entire fixture.

2" Round 3 LED Lighting Series - Star Light - Red - Colored Lens

Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Generally with an in-coach chassis battery disconnect switch; the stair circuit is hard wired before the switch. This allows the steps to always extend/retract so you can safely enter/leave the coach before/after hitting the switch. The light is built into the stairs and not seperately controllable.
As stated, the light draw is small & only with the door open. If you want to leave the door open while storing it (ventalation?) closing the screen will turn it off.