Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Step not working

We drove back from our winter stay in Florida and almost fell out upon arrival. The stairs did not come out. After driving to fuel up, the steps worked. Now they do not again. I can not find the sensor or switch that activates the stairs. I have looked around the door frame and cannot find anything.

I have a 2014 Journey 42E. Anyone else ever had issues with the stairs.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

We're having issues too. We have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse and I have flipped the switch to the off position but they still go in when we want them out. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and seems connected to the screen. I don't know but I'll be watching what others say about this issue.
TB
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Step problem

2002 Monaco Knight.
After locating and buying a bunch of replacement parts the problem was found in the wiring connections to the actuator located where the step assembly is attached to the coach,
The problem we had was intermittent operation, or sometimes cycling in and out continually, which could only be stopped by pulling the fuse.
Check the wiring connections FIRST
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
We drove back from our winter stay in Florida and almost fell out upon arrival. The stairs did not come out. After driving to fuel up, the steps worked. Now they do not again. I can not find the sensor or switch that activates the stairs. I have looked around the door frame and cannot find anything.

I have a 2014 Journey 42E. Anyone else ever had issues with the stairs.
We had the same problem when leaving Florida a couple years ago. We stayed at a campground about 100 yards from the ocean. The combination of the salt in the air and the morning mist caused all the moving joints on the stairs to get stiff.

The step controller relies on sensing the amperage draw of the motor and stopping it when it reaches a certain level. When it reaches the current draw that is normally achieved when the steps reach the full open or full closed position the controller shuts off the motor. The controller doesn't know the position of the steps, but rather that the motor has the current draw equal to reaching the full open or full closed position.

Previous versions of the steps used limit switches. The motor was powered until the full open or full closed switch was triggered. This turned out to be a bad idea in that when the stairs get stiff or rusty the motor would keep trying to extend or retract them until it burned out.

In most cases the solution to your problem is to liberally lubricate all the moving joints on the stairs and the motor linkage. WD40 will work, but lubricants with PTFE will work better. The WD 40 will remain damp and any dirt thrown up will get caught on the joints and exacerbate the problem. The lubricants with PTFE are dry and will not attract and hold the dirt.

After our experience I lubricate the stairs and linkage every couple weeks when we're on the road. Since I started the routine we haven't had a reoccurrence of the problem
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

I would guess that one or two of the wires that connect to the four buttons on the door frame have become loose. Remove the 2 screws that hold the button switches to the door frame, gently pull the switch out and reattach the wires. The 2 lower wires control the steps.
Brent
Old 08-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
ours will go in and out by them selves when we sit with the door open and screen door closed? then next time it doesnt go out at all. then next time it works fine? all wires look good?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One would think that after 20 years of problem with these dumb step issues the industry would come up with a resolve to cure the issue. I had so many issues with the steps that I removed all the crap they provided for automatic operation and made mine manual/semi-automatic operational. It is a total disgrace as an industry to not supply quality products and not something designed by a backyard parts mechanic that is total ignorant of the situation and obviously does not give a damn.. see my blog below
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #8

Our Journey steps has had a issues soon after purchase. After the first trip the steps failed in the driveway. It turned out that the wires inside the door were not crimped on to the contacts and had fallen off. Look for the four spring loaded contacts inside the door frame near the bottom hinge. Take out the two screws on both the door and frame and check the wires.

Last winter I took the bus to fuel it before leaving home. As I was driving, I could hear the steps going in and out randomly. It turned out to be a cheap plastic retainer/nut that adjusted the spring tension on the contacts. I replaced the plastic nuts inside both the door and frame with metal nuts.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote