Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #1

Steps Stuck Out

So as we were leaving the park last Monday, someone flagged me down and said my steps were out. Sure enough. I checked the obvious things, breaker, wiring, etc. All seemed fine so I just pulled the pin and tied them up to get on the road. The pin was not real easy to come out, either.

Now that I am back home, I need to diagnose. I can get my meter and check for power but what have others found who have has this happen? Someone asked me if the magnet fell off. I am not sure where exactly Winnebago installed it to check?
loydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

The screen door has a magnet or buttons on the frame that tell the circuit that the door is closed. Either the signal isn't getting to the motor or the motor is stuck.

Might be as simple as a couple hammer taps to the motor, but that isn't a long term solution. Many report loose wires on the door mechanism that reports open or closed.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My controller went out once and had to be replaced. Hopefully you have an easier fix.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
The screen door has a magnet or buttons on the frame that tell the circuit that the door is closed. Either the signal isn't getting to the motor or the motor is stuck.

Might be as simple as a couple hammer taps to the motor, but that isn't a long term solution. Many report loose wires on the door mechanism that reports open or closed.
I am referring to the step motor, of course.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

We had a big problem with steps going in and out while driving. Turned out that the wire had broken off the lug that attaches to the switch at the door. Looked fine but was not. Pull the plastic cap off and check both terminals. Also had a bad ground wire from steps to chassis frame. Along the way to a fix we spent over $600 for a controller and on site repair.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post

This. It's an easy and 0 cost try. Our steps were sticking in the closed position. Tapping the drive mechanism would get them working. I ordered a new motor off Amazon for a permanent fix.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Yeah, I tried the tap with the hammer. I remember having to do that on my older Monaco that had the Coach Step brand.

If it ever stops raining here in NC, I will crawl under there and start to troubleshoot
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightseers View Post
We had a big problem with steps going in and out while driving. Turned out that the wire had broken off the lug that attaches to the switch at the door. Looked fine but was not. Pull the plastic cap off and check both terminals. Also had a bad ground wire from steps to chassis frame. Along the way to a fix we spent over $600 for a controller and on site repair.
We had same (loose/too short wire inside magnet switch cover) issue. Easy fix with a short extension of wire. It is usually the simple stuff... troubleshoot before visiting a $$$repair shop.

Please share the outcome...
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Hi Loyd,

I see you're from Concord. Small world - I grew up in Landis, but we've been in GA for about 20 years now. I just had Tony's outside Columbia, SC repair my step(gears were stripped - they upgraded the actuator) and they did a fine job for a reasonable price.

Call first for an appointment though. It's a busy place.

HTH!
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #10

Started working again, then they quit. When I open the door with the switch in the mode for them to open/close, I can hear a clicking from underneath so that leads me to believe it isn't the door/magnet switch. I believe it is a controller box or motor issue.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Mine stuck in the out position the first week of December. The first time I kicked them and they went in. Later in the day they stuck out again. We continued our trip and 3 weeks later when I moved the coach to our son's home a couple of miles away they were still stuck out. A week later when we returned to Texas I kicked them once and they went in and have been working ever since. Go figure ...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While working with steps that have intermittent fits of unintended operations in or out watch where you stick your hands or fingers while working on the system.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most likely need to be lubed.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had trouble with my step sticking also... after burning out the motor and replacing I have found the key is lube as mentioned earlier.. Spending time in the south with the humidity and salty air plays havoc with metal and steel.. Possibly a penetrating fluid to loosen and then ample lube with a bit of manual help will solve your issues..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps