Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #1

In Calgary on way to Banff....temp is 97...came thru some real dusty road construction. Set up and it seemed that front passenger side jack made a growling noise as it was extending... Had to change sites after about 1/2 hour and when I hit Store, all came up but front passenger.
It seems others were a little slow too..Usually all come up pretty quick....I was able to prop it up with a bar and then sprayed silicone on it and tried again...had to pry it to get it started but it came up after about 10 minutes....
Noticed the hwh fluid reservoir was higher than usual (filled by service center before trip...
Please advise any suggestions.Don't know if high temp has anything to do with it and we are at 3500 ft...thanks RKL

RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #2

In Calgary on way to Banff....temp is 97...came thru some real dusty road construction. Set up and it seemed that front passenger side jack made a growling noise as it was extending... Had to change sites after about 1/2 hour and when I hit Store, all came up but front passenger.
It seems others were a little slow too..Usually all come up pretty quick....I was able to prop it up with a bar and then sprayed silicone on it and tried again...had to pry it to get it started but it came up after about 10 minutes....
Noticed the hwh fluid reservoir was higher than usual (filled by service center before trip...
Please advise any suggestions.Don't know if high temp has anything to do with it and we are at 3500 ft...thanks RKL

Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I had the same basic problem. I stopped at the HWH shop in Moscow, Ia and they replaced to solenoids and 2 jacks. So it is either a solenoid or a jack. call HWH and will get a tech to talk to you.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the same problem with the drivers side front jack. Would pry with bar to get started did spray jack shaft but had to change out jack after a year of prying. The flat "O" rings inside cylinder if they twist your done bent my bar.
Had to jack up axel and place boards under jack base plate to get piston back in housing. Used a 8 ton jack. Called HWH and they sent a new one, they will ask for number on side of jack cylinder to match for new one. Took 30 min to change just disconnect the fluid hose and unplug jack down sensor plug than remove two bottom bolts both sides of pivit point and loosen top bolts "do not remove", spread plates and jack will fall out of pivot point.
You would have removed springs first hand and jack plate just falls off jack pin. I used a large bar to release springs than replace back on the base plate. Be very careful when your doing both operations so spring does not slip off bar use some tape around bar so it will keep spring from slipping.
You could use a old cloth rag to wrap around the two springs in case they fly out at you.
You will reuse the jacks down signal pin on top of old jack there will be a screw plug on new jack and don't tip jack its full of fluid.
Fluid level should be between the two lines on pin in reservoir with all jacks retracked.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the input...Jack now works...two seperate problems I think....first WD-40 cleaned the jack and made it slippery..second, the reservoir was TOO full for the high temps...With jacks up and slides in, the fluid ran out when I removed the plug....I guess the jack didn't come up possibly because of the pressure in the reservoir due to lack of expansion due to the high temp here..thanks again....RKL
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Always the simple thing to look for first the fluid in jack housing is suppose to lube jack shaft but like everyone else I have lube shaft also if dirt is collected on shaft will have a problem eventually.
You should have a breather hole in plug for tank yours maybe plugged.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote