Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We made it to our park in Branson and don't have it all figured it out yet. We're here until January 3rd, but the last 15 miles of our trip in, the light didn't come on again. As soon as we figure out how to check the coolant, and where to add it, we will give that a try, but still won't be driving it until January 3rd. This is our first MH (first RV ever) and we've only been full-timing for 18 months. We are both mechanical idiots and we've searched all our manuals and nothing indicates where to check or fill coolant. We're hoping as we make a few friends in the park, someone will be able to show us how to do this.

Thanks for worrying. It's refreshing.
Merry Christmas
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Kim,

As an after thought, I have a person that frequents this forum once in a while and maybe he can expound on this.

He was traveling and had the "Low Collant" stop engine light come on. He called Freightliner and they told him that there was a plug just behind the coolant fill tank that has come loose on a few coaches. They said to reach back behind the coolant fill tank and make sure all the connections are snapped in place.

Worth a try.

Same thing with under the dash. Check to see if all the harnesses are snapped tightly.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat
We made it to our park in Branson and don't have it all figured it out yet. We're here until January 3rd, but the last 15 miles of our trip in, the light didn't come on again. As soon as we figure out how to check the coolant, and where to add it, we will give that a try, but still won't be driving it until January 3rd. This is our first MH (first RV ever) and we've only been full-timing for 18 months. We are both mechanical idiots and we've searched all our manuals and nothing indicates where to check or fill coolant. We're hoping as we make a few friends in the park, someone will be able to show us how to do this.

Thanks for worrying. It's refreshing.
Merry Christmas
There are many here that will attempt to follow a post like yours to ground. It's a twofold adventure. 1) try to help a fellow RVer 2) learn something along the way. So no worries.

Not a Winnie owner so someone else can be specific but on most DPs you open the "grill" and the fill cap should be up top somewhere marked coolant. You can probably find a source coolant nearby. For Cummins you can buy fully formulated (premixed 50/50 water/antifreeze) Fleetguard Compleat by the gallon - $15-$20 per. Get 2 and maybe open the engine door and stand there scratching head - or ask people at CG office. They are usually friendly and RV people.

Merry Christmas. And don't forget to update results. Btw - resolve earlier than later just in case.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

In this view of the back end of your Tour chassis the plastic coolant overflow tank filled with red coolant is at the upper left (with a faint red circle around it). It should be on the upper right when standing behind the coach looking forward. There should be LOW and HIGH level marks of some kind on the plastic tank and a fill cap on top.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I agree completely with SNAPPYS post. Having experienced a check engine light and speaking with Cummins and Spartan both said," check engine light, get to a service center and run the diagnostic code." Stop engine, I was told means stop engine, call for roadside assistance and go directly to a qualified approved service facility! Just repeating instructions from the manufactures. In our case it was low coolant, loose clamps on the coolant lines.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

So here's my question - and I mean this sincerely - going down the mountain with no place to stop - should I stop right there in the road or continue to a safe place? It was the OPs feeling there was no safe place and when he arrived at one the light went off.

I'm serious - do I stop on grade, in my lane and call a Coachnet? Never mind if I would add some coolant and give er another try in this circumstance.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So here's my question - and I mean this sincerely - going down the mountain with no place to stop - should I stop right there in the road or continue to a safe place? It was the OPs feeling there was no safe place and when he arrived at one the light went off.

I'm serious - do I stop on grade, in my lane and call a Coachnet? Never mind if I would add some coolant and give er another try in this circumstance.
If the coach is running, keep driving it to the nearest safe spot and pull over, and stop the engine.

Stopping on a grade in your lane may cause an accident. Not worth it.

I have had the Stop Engine Light come on a couple times. In my Cummins powered coach, it literally stopped the engine. In this case, it was sensing low oil pressure. In my CAT powered coach, it did not stop the engine. I had the code read by Freightliner, and it was a turbo low boost code. Turns out it was a sticky valve which corrected itself.

As you have read above, there are a lot of mundane reasons why the Stop Engine Light might come on. Depending on what code it throws, if it's serious and might harm the engine, I'm betting the engine will shut itself down.

Have the code read by either Freightliner or Cummins (if it's a Cummins). They will tell you if you have an issue or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
It turned out to be a bad sensor and appearently that is a common problem.
Been there. Done that.

We spent several months "topping off" our coolant, but the check engine/stop engine/shutdown episodes became more frequent (and more frustrating).

Finally had Freightliner take a look at it. They couldn't find the problem. (Honestly, I think they assumed we had been running on low coolant.) But, we connected them with Freightliner Custom Chassis in Gaffney who quickly identified the problem as a bad low coolant sensor, which was easily replaced. FCCC indicated it was a common problem.

The 40TD floorplan is great for fulltiming! We've been in ours for 3 years. Safe travels!

Mary
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Well I saw where the OP made entry elsewhere but no update here. Hopefully we'll hear how this turned out.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

This morning - low coolant light - then stop engine then shut down.

Called Cummins had me check coolant, guess service garage did not do it as I had asked last month.

Yes reservoir was dry - ran to truck stop got coolant, put in one full gallon.

Started up 2nd time and drove it 250 miles south today.

Cummins 24/7 number rocks.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream
This morning - low coolant light - then stop engine then shut down.

Called Cummins had me check coolant, guess service garage did not do it as I had asked last month.

Yes reservoir was dry - ran to truck stop got coolant, put in one full gallon.

Started up 2nd time and drove it 250 miles south today.

Cummins 24/7 number rocks.
The simplest solution isn't always the answer but is generally a good place to start. Trouble is, when we see that light come on we rightfully panic. Just need to keep things in context, keep cool and use common sense.

Now where did that other coolant go I wonder? Did ya check it again when ya shut er down?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

At long last -- an update. It was low coolant due to a leak in the hose! Repair shop fixed the leak, added coolant and we drove up and down some hills in Branson with no warning lights. Yippee! We will be leaving Branson tomorrow. We are planning on going down to Caddo Valley/Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Anyone have any road advice -- lots of hills? Decent roads?

Thanks everyone for all your help on the coolant issue -- it is truly appreciated!
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote