Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stop Engine Light

Okay, we're stumped! We have a 40' Winnebago Tour 40TD DP. When going downhill today (through the Ozarks on our way to Branson), the "Stop Engline" warning light came on. There was no place to pull over so we continued on looking for a spot. As soon as we got on level ground, the light went off. It happened twice more, each time going off as soon as we hit level ground or started back uphill. Someone had once told us that there is a certain fluid (?) that may be low which causes this. Can anyone offer any guidance? Thanks.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would check the radiator coolant level in the expansion tank. If it's low it can cause the sensor to go off on when you go up or down a hill.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the engine oil and the transmission fluid. Did you look the temperature gauge?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Given that the light went out on level ground, I am pretty sure it is not a temperature problem. Best guess would be a low fluid level, that is reaching unsatisfactory operating levels when not level. Most likely, the antifreeze. Good luck
Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomidabr
Given that the light went out on level ground, I am pretty sure it is not a temperature problem. Best guess would be a low fluid level, that is reaching unsatisfactory operating levels when not level. Most likely, the antifreeze. Good luck

X 2 - have heard this story before. Most likely the coolant level at the angle of attack is causing the light to come on. Watch the gauges - get down and top off antifreeze before doing it again. It can only be off a small amount and do this. Stayed next to a guy with new Itasca 42 out in Colorado - exactly this issue. He was laughing about it when I caught up with him - but admitted he was fuming when he thought there was an issue - and for paying for a mobile tech.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If checking all the fluids doesn't show one low, you could have the engine scanned for any error codes. They might be cleared by now, you might have to hook one up and look for some hills.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Keep driving with a stop engine light and the will be an issue. A check engine light is one thing but when the stop engine light comes on that means there's something critically wrong and if not shut down something bad is gonna happen. Based on what you posted I would suspect it's fluid related. It might be coolant but low coolant level usually causes a check engine light. Not a stop engine light. Possibly engine oil. If it's engine oil that could cause catastrophic engine failure. Not sure how long an oil starved engine will run but I don't want to find out either. As a former diesel technician That's just my opinion.

+1 on pulling the codes as BFlinn181 said. The ECM should store all fault codes. Even though the code is not active it will be stored as a historic code.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Before you panic check the coolant and search google and it will point you to IRV2 of course.
I think the post linked here was from RickO

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/stop-...ant-26638.html

Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

In the Vehicle Information Center in the Diagnostic page enter 8127 and it might let you read codes so I've been told.

I haven't tried it yet, but I got it from this forum.

Nothing to lose.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to everyone for all the info. Ummmm, we are mechanically challenged so could you tell me what we will be looking for in terms of how to check the coolant, where do I actually add it if it is needed, and what kind do I need to add. Thanks.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have had this also after low coolant came on
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I thought you only got the stop light when the engine started to overheat. A low expansion tank shouldn't cause that. I could be wrong.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat
Many thanks to everyone for all the info. Ummmm, we are mechanically challenged so could you tell me what we will be looking for in terms of how to check the coolant, where do I actually add it if it is needed, and what kind do I need to add. Thanks.
Here's my suggestion but it's going to cost you - if you're on the road - and have the time and dollars - get a Onsite Oil change guy to come out and stand there and watch what he does. You can probably get oiled, filtered, and lubed for $75 bucks or so over Speedco price and add Geni oil, filter and fluid change to the list. If you can - get on the ground with him - watch, point, ask questions. If he isn't booked up he will spend a little time with you. A good one will let ya know if he sees anything out of sorts. Consider the extra expense as education cost.
Just a thought. Good luck, safe travels and happy holidays.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman
I thought you only got the stop light when the engine started to overheat. A low expansion tank shouldn't cause that. I could be wrong.
Me thinks I get the stop engine light for low voltage. Turn the key off - then on, start and it's gone when charge to batteries kicks in. Or maybe I have a serious problem. Panic sets in, then 300 miles later with no light and steady gauges - it subsides. Doesn't happen again unless voltage is low. Love that little Freightliner computer.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Short story.. My brother had the STOP ENGINE light come on on his Semi Tractor once several years ago, I pulled off on the shoulder RIGHT NOW (he had just exited a freeway) and the trucker in front of him was on the radio WHOOEEEEEE! IT' like the clown car at the circus with the flames shooting out from under the hood!!!.

Well he got stopped, safely, popped the hook and took a look (he is a diesel mechanic, i'm not) and determined a new enigne was the order of the day, Hopped a ride with the other driver to the truck stop and called Detroit Diesel (Since it was under warranty)

They dropped his buddy's trailer and went back for his, The tow truck was there already, Towed his trialer to the truck stop and re-connected his buddy's to his tractor.

DD flew a new engine, and technician to install it. to the repair shop the tow truck took it to and 24 hours later he was, as the song goes, "On the road again".

Sometimes when it says STOP ENGINE.. It's not kidding.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

If the light was yellow it is a check engine light which if your fluid in your surge tank was low would turn to red and a stop engine error...the Freightliner will give you 30 seconds before shutting down the engine.

If the computer did say "check coolant level" just over fill a couple quarts past the full mark if the coolant wasnt low...it will hurt nothing and will remedy the sensor error.

disclaimer...dont try this at home...
If you are in an area there's no way to pull over before the red Stop Engine light comes on put the tranny in neutral ...turn off key..restart engine and error is gone. Remember you have no power steering for about 2 secs.

I put up with this problem almost 3 years till Freightliner told me to just over fill the surge tank by 2 quarts of coolant.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Been there and done that. Yes STOP ENGINE while on a grade and pull over and it went off. Called Frieghtliner and tech said it most likely was the coolant level. He indicated to over fill the expansion tank about 1/2 to 3/4" when cold and see if it solved it. Yes it did and has never re occured since over 22,000 miles. Later discussing it with a cummins shop they told me the sensor was installed for forward facing engines which creates the problem??????
Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

On my Winnie with the Cummins 340 I had the stop engine light come on. I was at a red light about 50 yards before a major interchange of highways. I told the wife I had to pull over as the engine was going to shut down, but I never got the chance. It shut me down right there, and the stop engine light and console stated, "Low Coolant." Well the coolant was at the proper level and I put some more in just in case. No go! Got towed to Cummins dealer.

They found a broken pin in the engine harness and fixed it. It just took some time for that broken pin to loose contact. So all is not what it seems when the stop engine light comes on.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I pulled over right now when mine came on, shut it down and called Freightliner from my cell phone. 80 miles to go to get the Winnebago Factory where I was heading. They told me to go ahead as shutting it down rebooted the light. It turned out to be a bad sensor and appearently that is a common problem.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat
Hey there limrealestat - how did this turn out? I'm enjoying the posts but really would like to hear how your situation turned out!! I'm still betting coolant.

Clearly a stop engine light is nothing to fool with but circumstances are a key consideration. Your circumstance pointed to a known problem to many. Now had you said you were driving through the flattest part of West Texas and the stop engine light come on I would not have posted. And, your post would probably have been quite different. Just saying - but please let us know what happened. We all hope you're not holed up in a Motel 6 with your rig in the shop for the holiday season.
Merry Christmas
Steve and Annie