Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storage doors scraping slides

I have a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40AD on the Maxum chassis. When I open the outside storage doors with the slides out, the top of the doors scrape the bottom of the slide. At times, it hits the slide and I cannot fully open the door. This seems to only happen when I have the coach leveled. I have 3 or 4 doors that this happens on. But the biggest problem door is the front door of the curb side double door opening where the large pass through storage is located.

The last time I came home, I looked at the double doors before the coach was leveled and the slides were extended. The doors were aligned properly at the top. I then auto leveled the coach (the back of the coach had to be raised several inches). Once the coach was leveled, the front door seemed to be a quarter of an inch higher than the rear door where they meet. Once the slides were extended, the front door scrapes and the rear door has plenty of room. I have been to campgrounds where I had to raise the front of the coach some and I still have the problems.

I have had it back to the dealer 3 times already with this problem. They first said that there was no problem (because they did not level the coach first). The last time they said that they could not adjust it any more.

Has anyone else had scraping issues like this on the Maxum chassis coaches?
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bill & Elaine,

What leveling system is on the Tour?
Have you calibrated the leveling system if possible?
I don't trust the dealer to do that. If it is not done according to the book you could have the leveling lights indicate level, but not be level.
I used a level near the leveling pad, on the floor, and manually adjusted the levelers until the level read center in both directions. Then I did the calibration routine in my manual. (Or level with the old bathroom door trick.)

It just sounds like you are not quite level - but I could be way out here, so JMHO.

If with the doors opened and manually raising or lowering the levelers, can you get the doors to clear? It just sounds like frame twisting a little.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
I have a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40AD on the Maxum chassis. When I open the outside storage doors with the slides out, the top of the doors scrape the bottom of the slide. At times, it hits the slide and I cannot fully open the door. This seems to only happen when I have the coach leveled. I have 3 or 4 doors that this happens on. But the biggest problem door is the front door of the curb side double door opening where the large pass through storage is located.

The last time I came home, I looked at the double doors before the coach was leveled and the slides were extended. The doors were aligned properly at the top. I then auto leveled the coach (the back of the coach had to be raised several inches). Once the coach was leveled, the front door seemed to be a quarter of an inch higher than the rear door where they meet. Once the slides were extended, the front door scrapes and the rear door has plenty of room. I have been to campgrounds where I had to raise the front of the coach some and I still have the problems.

I have had it back to the dealer 3 times already with this problem. They first said that there was no problem (because they did not level the coach first). The last time they said that they could not adjust it any more.

Has anyone else had scraping issues like this on the Maxum chassis coaches?
I don't have the Maxum chassis but I have the same problem. I have found that when I have a front to rear level to deal with my cargo doors will hit the slide. It does not seem to happen when I have a left to right slope to level.

It turns out that if I use blocks under the wheels of the low end, I don't have to put as much strain on the frame to complete the level. With a couple of exceptions (when the camping space was really sloped), I have been able to avoid the scraping issue using the blocks.

Dan Bowman
2003 36' Winnebago Journey
jdanbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

We have an 08 Tour 40 TD on the Maxum chassis and have noticed that the door on the utility compartment with rub the slide bottom IF the door is open when the slide operates. This is due to the slight dropping of the slide as it opens. Once the slide is open, there is no interference between this door or any other doors on the coach.

We have noticed no difference if the coach was leveled or not on the door operation.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 09 Tour WD with the same problem. Mainly where the entertainment unit is housed, however, sometimes other doors will not clear without scraping. It seems to depend on which jacks were used to level.

Sorry about the coach picture. That was our previous coach. I cant find out how to change it.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #6

I did notice in the Winnebago coach display at the FMCA rally in MN last summer that there was a Journey displayed that had that problem. Hopefully Winnie has addressed this problem.