Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Stuck pantry roll out

Stuck roll out pantry from overloading and rough road. Anyone have this situation before? Any solutions for opening pantry?
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes, had the same problem on the way to Alaska. The wall on the left side of the pantry is the wall for the refrigerator. On the pantry side it has no finished wall only wood 1/2" strips for support. A can in the pantry tipped over and was stuck on the slats. I was able to insert a yard stick in the gap between the pantry slide out and the wall. Using a flashlight, I was able to see the can and move it so I could open the pantry.
After opening , I removed the pantry shelfs, bought a piece of 1/4" plywood and lined the wall so this could not happen again
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Perhaps you can use something like a yardstick to reach in and maneuver whatever is stuck as you attempt to slide the pantry out.

It won't help getting things unstuck, but what I did to avoid this problem with the pantries on my 2005 Vectra was to fill in the space inside the cabinet on the open side of the sliding shelves so that things couldn't fall over and get caught. To do this I used some half-inch rigid foam insulation covered with woodgrain contact paper. It seems to work out pretty well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Yes, had the same problem on the way to Alaska. The wall on the left side of the pantry is the wall for the refrigerator. On the pantry side it has no finished wall only wood 1/2" strips for support. A can in the pantry tipped over and was stuck on the slats. I was able to insert a yard stick in the gap between the pantry slide out and the wall. Using a flashlight, I was able to see the can and move it so I could open the pantry.
After opening , I removed the pantry shelfs, bought a piece of 1/4" plywood and lined the wall so this could not happen again

Apply this solution or add additional slats to the existing shelves, increasing the side height for each shelf.

We had a small can of chopped green chilies fall off the shelf and get stuck between the pantry and the wall. It would only open 1/2 inch!. Day 1 of 1st 2 week trip with the RV from Austin to LA area. Tried coat hanger, wire, - anything - but really no room at all to work. It stayed jammed for all of the 2 week trip. I fiddled around with it the whole trip trying to even get it off the tracks, etc. Stopped at Camping World and stumped the Service Manager. Once home, I had to remove the fridge, cut out the panel between the fridge and the pantry, and find the damn can to remove it. We are now very careful what goes in that pantry. Usually not much. Wish I had the 4 door Fridge instead!. This issue has happened to many others as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input all. At least I'm not alone!

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarHorizon View Post
Thanks for the input all. At least I'm not alone!

Thanks
No, your not. Good luck getting it unstuck. Please post your solution.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

pantry stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarHorizon View Post
Stuck roll out pantry from overloading and rough road. Anyone have this situation before? Any solutions for opening pantry?

Well we had the same thing happen to us and believe it or not it was a bottle of honey. I could not reach it so I just pulled and the bottle broke and honey on everything even under the pantry.

My fix was cut a piece of plywood and fit it in the side towards the fridge. That way nothing can tip over and catch. Winnebago should have a upgrade for this if they put it in the new coaches.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Thanks

appreciate the suggestion Ripperfarms,
Coach in for major service, we'll work at freeing it some more. Almost had it freed up, we'll modify that space and eliminate the problem.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I find this discussion interesting. We had a 2001 Adventurer with the tall single pantry and never had a problem in over 12 years. When we got our 12013 Adventurer both my wife and I noticed the the tall sides on the pantry shelves. They're about twice the height of the ones in our old motorhome. I would venture to guess it's in response to the problems that have been described here.