Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

The latest

I sent the following email to Winnebago:

Quote:
Dear Sirs:

On September 2, I brought my 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R (Stock #XXXXXXX, VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX) to the Valencia, CA Camping World (an authorized service provider) for repairs to my bathroom ceiling vent. After inspection, they contacted Winnebago and obtained the authorization to repair under warranty that day but they have to get the parts from Winnebago. Service rep. Joseph Perez said on September 18 that the parts were ordered September 4 and he would call me once they come in.

We are nearly a month since I brought the motorhome in and there's still no word on the status of the parts. What's the hold-up? Does Winnebago always take a month or more to ship repair parts? Please look into this so I can get the repairs done. I will be leaving for nine days in Japan on October 10 and was hoping to have the repairs done before then.

Your prompt attention is greatly appreciated.
The problem isn't with Camping World (sounds incredible, but the Valencia location is pretty decent), but with Winnebago.

To be continued.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I'd suggest you call Winnebago and talk to one of their service reps. They know or can find out anything about every RV. For all you know the parts might not have been ordered.
I called them last week and after a minimal 4 minute wait, I was able to get the MSRP of my 2001 31C.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I'd suggest you call Winnebago and talk to one of their service reps. They know or can find out anything about every RV. For all you know the parts might not have been ordered.
I called them last week and after a minimal 4 minute wait, I was able to get the MSRP of my 2001 31C.
Thanks! Now on hold.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Thanks! Now on hold.
Good luck . I've found they keep track of everything discussed about each RV. If you happen to call in the future, they will have a record of your call today, and what it was about.
I had an issue a couple of years ago about a recall issue with my stove top. I had received a recall letter, telling me to get in touch with my dealer, and have them order the necessary part, which I did right away. After a month or so after the dealer told me the part wasn't in yet, I called Itasca/Winnebago and found out the part had never been ordered.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I take that back about Camping World!

I called Winnebago's customer service and spoke with Mitch. He checked and found that the parts were delivered on September 14 at around 9:17 AM and signed for by "John". This was four days before I called my service rep, Joseph Perez, who told me the parts were still on order.

Now, it is possible that Perez was not notified that the parts were in when I talked to him on September 18. But, here we are two weeks later and no call, despite a promise to do so.

I just left a quite detailed voice mail message with Perez. We'll see how that goes.

To be continued.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

It would be interesting to know if Winnebago changed the design/parts to eliminate the problem? Or, have they published any tech tips to alleviate the problem? Also, have the same problen, no broken parts yet, bit I need to loosen the hatch, some way, to avoid breaking it.
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Perez called back from CW and acknowledged their error. He will see what day, if any, that may be available next week he can fit my repairs in and call back.

To be continued.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I'm not too surprised that Parts didn't let Sales or Service know the part had been delivered, what shocks and disappoints is that once YOU brought the mistake to their attention they STILL are putting you off by a week or more.

I'll bet the mechanism for this roof hatch is held in by a few screws and could be replaced in less than 20 minutes. I'd be sending letters to Winnebago and Camping World, this is shoddy treatment. If you bought the RV from Camping World, it borders on criminal!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm not too surprised that Parts didn't let Sales or Service know the part had been delivered, what shocks and disappoints is that once YOU brought the mistake to their attention they STILL are putting you off by a week or more.

I'll bet the mechanism for this roof hatch is held in by a few screws and could be replaced in less than 20 minutes. I'd be sending letters to Winnebago and Camping World, this is shoddy treatment. If you bought the RV from Camping World, it borders on criminal!!
Thankfully, no I didn't buy my RV from them.

Still waiting for a call-back. Just left another voice mail message.

To be continued.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

I am with Bob.

My experience with WBGO has been stellar as well with our dealer Lichtsinn Motors. Any parts ordered have been delivered quickly.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I have left 3 messages with Perez at CW to call me back with a date and time to complete the repairs and have yet to receive a call back.

I just left one more on his voice mail stating that my next call will be a complaint call.

My patience is not without limits.

To be continued.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

It seems like a lot of aggravation over a roof vent part.
Why not just try to pick up the parts and fix it yourself? It's not difficult. You just remove the knob or crank, if you haven't done so already. Remove the four screws that hold up the inside trim piece. Remove the two screws under that which hold the screen in place. You now have access to the two screws that hold the crank in place, and you can remove the arm from the vent cover. You now will be able to push the the cover up from the frame. Coat the top rim of the vent housing where the lid will sit with a teflon lube or something similar that will help in keeping it from sticking. Just reassemble everything in the reverse order. It shouldn't take more than ten or fifteen minutes.
I'd also suggest installing MaxAirs or something similar if you don't have them already. Closing/sealing the vents won't be that critical with them on.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
It seems like a lot of aggravation over a roof vent part.
Why not just try to pick up the parts and fix it yourself? It's not difficult.
I am not mechanically inclined, difficult or not.

Chances are, I may just mess it up even worse.

I decided to give them a break today to see if would receive a call-back.

No call-back.

Tomorrow, I will be calling the service manager and raise hell, if necessary.

To be continued.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday morning, I called the service manager to see if he can be of help. Naturally, my call went to his voice mail. So I left a detailed message and requested a call-back.

The day went by and I received no call-back. (Surprise-surprise, as Gomer Pyle would say.)

I got off the phone with Bill at Winnebago customer service and told him of the problem. I asked if I could pick up the parts and go to another authorized service shop. Bill said they (Camping World) wouldn't allow that.

I told him that CW has bad reputation and asked why does Winnebago keep them. He said they are 30% of their dealers and they are well aware of their bad reputation among the RV owner community.

He said he will contact CW and see if they can get this moving along and notify the district manager of Winnebago of CW's lack of response. He said he'll call me when he finds out what their problem is.

If I go to another shop, they would have to re-order the parts again.

To be continued.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Crank turns a shaft which turns a worm gear which engages a partiial gear that is attached to the lever that raises the lid.

YES you can fix it yourself.. Any decent size RV store will have the parts, Very simple job if you are handy .. IF on the other hand you do not know how to change a flat tire on your car.. Hire a pro.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #36

CampingWorld does not have a good reputation for repairs for a reason.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to Bill and Thomas at Winnebago's customer service, I finally have an appointment to get the repairs done. It will be early next week.

To be continued.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Today, the repairs were finally done!

They had my appointment set for 8:00 this morning. I was there on time.

To Camping World's credit, they got the repairs done (along with a couple of other things I asked them to look into) by 11:00 this morning. Before leaving the premises, I inspected the work done and everything came out fine. (I even checked the roof, to make sure the seals were okay. They were.) With that, I gave the service representative a big "thumb's up" for the work.

I left at around 11:30. I was having too good a time chatting with a customer who had his Coachmen 5th wheel in for repair with a slide-out issue.

Case Closed! But the vent opens good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Vent and etc 077.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	110445  
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Glad you got it fixed. It's only been 4 months exactly since your first post on the issue. Winnebago and Camping World must be so proud of their quick repair service!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed. It's only been 4 months exactly since your first post on the issue. Winnebago and Camping World must be so proud of their quick repair service!
That long?! Yikes! You're right! It's been since June.

I'd still probably be waiting if it weren't for Winnebago jumping in.

Tags
roof, vent