Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #1

My wife and I are going next week and look at and hopefully buy a used 2001 Journey 36DL with 26,000 miles. This will be our first MH as we have had 2 previous fifth wheels. I am finally graduating to the "pusher" market. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should specifically look at while I am doing the PDI. We will have the opportunity to stay the night to make sure we are satisfied that everything works. Believe me, we will use everything twice just to make sure it works. I am new to this forum but I did read several posts and everyone seems to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I participated in a similar forum for my fv'er. It is very helpful to share RV ideas and tips with other experienced RV'ers. Thanks for your help.
Big Schaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #2

My wife and I are going next week and look at and hopefully buy a used 2001 Journey 36DL with 26,000 miles. This will be our first MH as we have had 2 previous fifth wheels. I am finally graduating to the "pusher" market. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should specifically look at while I am doing the PDI. We will have the opportunity to stay the night to make sure we are satisfied that everything works. Believe me, we will use everything twice just to make sure it works. I am new to this forum but I did read several posts and everyone seems to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I participated in a similar forum for my fv'er. It is very helpful to share RV ideas and tips with other experienced RV'ers. Thanks for your help.
Big Schaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations on your purchase. We have the 39DL and absolutely love this thing.
Check on the age of the tires for one thing. We replaced ours last year with a larger size and feel much better about riding in it now. Also, check under the coach for hydraulic leaks. We have had to replace hoses in our slides because of leaks. Check to make sure that everything works of course. Check for signs of leaking.
I am sure that you will get many more responses here but this is a start anyways! Good luck.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #4

Get all maintenance records if possible. Find out when the coach was last serviced. If all service has been done you can save yourself a lot of money. Check the expansion tank on the radiator and be sure there is no oil in it .(Leaking oil cooler). IF you have hydraulic leaks and the hoses have the (right?) number on them they will be replaced by HWH.Tires may be a good idea. Check all your appliances/accesories to be sure they work..God Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 . You have come to the right place. We asked the same question before we bought our used Journey and folks here were very helpful.

My suggestions:

1. As suggested, if the tires are original, try to get them replaced as part of the deal. While they have few miles and may look fine, they are near the end of their useful (and safe) life.
2. Put on some coveralls and get a creeper and flashlight and inspect the underbelly well. Look for hydraulic leaks (in the slide out system/hoses), oil leaks, rust, etc.
3. At seven years, you are also looking at end of life for engine belts/hoses, so you may want to consider that.
4. Insist on maintenance records...evidence of regular oil/filter changes, chassis lube, fuel filter changes, engine air filter, and look for a complete cooling system flush and re-fill (the recommended life of antifreeze was either 3 0r 5 years...you can call Freightliner and give them the chassis serial # and they will tell you what antifreeze was put in at the factory and its recommended life). The air dryer should have been serviced at this point. While the miles are low, the tranmission should have been serviced (initial plus intervals) fluid and filter changes. Keep in mind that the maintenance intervals for a DP are based on miles and/or time, whichever comes first. If the tranny has Dexron in it, it should have been changed (along with the filters) at least every 2 years IMO.
4. Look carefully inside all exterior compartments for evidence of any leaks. Do the same in the interior...pull out drawers and look in the bottom of cabinets.

Bottom line, the Journey is a good value coach. While all of them require maintenance and some periodic repairs, we have never regretted getting ours.

When you get it, come back often with any questions and to share your RV experiences.

Safe travels.