Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Suncruiser quieter than a Sunstar?

The Sunstar (Vista) can be quite loud going down the freeway. I am wondering if the Suncruiser (Adventurer), a higher quality gas A class from Itasca (Winnebago), is quieter, even though it uses the same Ford F53 chassis? Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Don't know for sure but I suspect not. How would it be possible to add that much insulation under the front shroud?
We own a 2013 Sunstar 35F. Generally it is rather quiet heading down the road except when climbing a grade. The engine will downshift into third gear and rev to 5,000 rpm. It is loud when that happens but I would believe any F-53 V-10 would be similar.
FWIW: Before buying the Itasca we test drove a Bounder Classic with similar floorplan. It seemed much noisier inside than the Sunstar.
Overall the Sunstar cruises nicely and quietly.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just drove our new 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T home from the dealer on 1-95 at 55-65MPH & found it to be very quiet, except for engine noise when climbing grades as mentioned above.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our first class A was a 1999 Adventurer (Ford) ... I ordered some insulation designed for installation on the underside of automotive hoods. I think I ordered it from JC Whitney (that was a long time ago and my rememberer is not that good on fine details)

I used a spray adhesive (I think 3M) to adhere it to the underside of the dog house.

It stayed in place for 5 years (until we traded for a Journey) ... it reduced the engine noise going down the road ... I don't think you can significantly reduce the noise on hill climbs ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just got home from a 500 mile trip this week. Last fall I had the factory fix the squeeks in the driver and passenger side windows, and as a result, my coach is really quiet now. As stated above, the engine does make noise when down shifting, but that does not last long. I am extreamly happy and I can enjoy my XM radio very well. I don't believe you should have any worries with the Vista or Sunstar, or any gas Winnebago for that matter.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I guess I am different. Going down the road cruising, the big V-10 is quiet as a mouse. On a steep climb she screams, music to my ears. She is doing her job and no orchestras sounds any better.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Site Team

I guess I may be the only one who thinks my Sunstar is too loud. It is fine at about 50, though I still have to turn the radio up much higher than my Honda Pilot to hear. At freeway speeds, the engine notice, wind noise, and coach noises like window squeaks, slide out squeaks, etc, really add up to make conversations and listening to the radio difficult. Maybe that was a corner they cut to make the Sunstar Sport 26HE so affordable. Now, I still love having the RV, and we are really enjoying the places it takes us. I was really wondering about 4 years down the road when we sell her and buy our ultimate RV hen we retire...I want something much more quiet than what we have and was wondering if I would be happy in a Suncruiser, which is what I have been planning on. Anyway, thanks for all the input and glad you are happy with the sound level on your coaches while driving down the road.
Al
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have an 02 sightseer , I used dynamat on the dog house and cured various squeaks and rattles but I think the tire roar and wind noise are the real culprits . No doubt the newer gas units are much improved but after a test drive in an older DP we have decided to trade ours
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Jimmyjnr,I may look into that, too....when the time comes. Still a few years to go before then... :-)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I bought an older / shorter unit to see if we enjoyed the lifestyle , we used the heck out of it and hence decided a little extra room and comfort would be nice .
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We love our 27N and the noise level is very acceptable. I would never expect the sound level to be anywhere near as quiet as any car.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We have a 2013 Adventurer which is the Winnebago equivilent to the Itasca Suncruiser. It's an extremely quiet coach compared to our 2001 Adventurer. One of the big differences between the 2013 Suncruiser and the Sunstar is the size of the wheels. Only the Sunstar 35B and 35F have the 22.5" wheels. While it might not sound like much, the larger wheels and corresponding suspension raise the frame rails enough that the engine cover is about 1/2 the height of the the models built with 19.5" wheels. This means the engine is relatively lower and far less noise is transmitted to the passenger compartment. Another improvement is the mechanical fan clutch has been replaced by temperature controlled electric fans. No more roaring fan when the engine is working.

We can carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds. We can even listen to the radio or play a CD on any road we travel. In the old coach this was only possible on the smoothest of roads.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Macnut,
I loved my Suncruiser but opted to buy a diesel to put the engine in the rear. Now, all is quiet except for some wind noise from the mirrors. I would opt to buy a used diesel (with a little more maintenance costs) but more ride comfort and lot more quiet. But if you want the gas, then you will do well with the Suncruiser.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks for the replies. it's all great info to keep in mind. When the time comes to replace the SunStar (a few more years), we'll likely purchase a Meridian (Journey). Love the layout of the 32B and the advantages of a DP.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

we had a sunstar 30t and went to a tiffin allegro and what a difference. the noise level and ride were worlds apart. 2012 sunstar to a 2013 tiffin open road gas. the sunstar rattled more , more noise from the basement and a much bumpier ride when compared to the tiffin.
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote