Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Surge Protector

Since there is so much discussion about surge protectors I thought I would post pics of the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C that I installed... on my 2015 Vista 27N. I didn't cut the power cable as suggested in the instructions but ordered another piece of 10/3 600w cable to run between the surge protector and the transfer switch. That is the same cable as my power cable. Installing it this was takes about an hour and it would have been a little quicker if I had cut the power cable but who wants a shorter power cable. I had been using a portable Progressive Industries surge protector but it was left over from my previous RV which had 50 amp service. I'm sure I have left something out so feel free to ask. It was a very easy install, just took a little time. If you are planning on making this installation be aware that the lugs in the transfer box use torx screwdriver instead of slotted like surge protector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_201330_resized.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	173167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_201346_resized.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	173168  

ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the 50 amp unit on our coach. I chose to put the monitor inside in the bedroom. I can monitor the amp draw in an instant if there is any cause for concern. I now know the current draw for the fridge, the a/c, the lights, and also which circuit they are on. I can also monitor the voltage supplied at the pedestal. I just find this very reassuring.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I mounted the monitor where it can be seen as soon as I plug in so I will see any Error Codes indicating a problem with the power supply and I can immediately determine whether or not I want to be connected to that pedestal. The power management system inside the coach tells me about amperage draw so I don't overload the system and trip the breaker.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When there is 50 amps supplied at the pedestal there is no amp indication on the power management system. On 30 amps there is. If there is a problem with the supply the surge protector will not pass that supply on to the inside. I would like to have this monitor outside as well but find it more useful for me inside. The important thing is we both now have this protection and can rest easier when we plug in.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
EMS-PT50C

50 Amp Portable Surge Protector EMS-PT50C for any RV, Travel Trailer, Motorhome | eBay
Old 08-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ranchdog,
A progressive Ind portable 50 amp surge protector similar to my 10 year old unit sells for $107.74 at Walmart.com
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Ranchdog,
A progressive Ind portable 50 amp surge protector similar to my 10 year old unit sells for $107.74 at Walmart.com
Dan L,
You failed to mention that Walmart.com shows the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50c, like mine, at $341.05 and the latest version EMS-PT50x, which only has an additional plastic cover, at $471.28. These two perform the same functions.

Its best to compare apples to apples.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchdog View Post
Dan L,
You failed to mention that Walmart.com shows the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50c, like mine, at $341.05 and the latest version EMS-PT50x, which only has an additional plastic cover, at $471.28. These two perform the same functions.

Its best to compare apples to apples.
I have the less expensive one with 6 led lights. It has been performing well for about 10 years.
Ims, I paid less than $100 for it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:51 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I currently use a portable 50 amp Surge Guard protector. Last year while in Colorado, lightning struck near the RV park and knocked out power and fried several TV's and other electronics in several RVs. Was talking with some folks about my desire to install a hardwired system in basement utility area. This one longtime RV'er said to stay with the portable surge protector. Buy plugging the surge protector into the pedestal, I protect my power cord and the wiring up to where a hardwired system would be mounted. And he stated he knew of a couple who lost their RV when a lightning strike fried the hardwired surge protector. The hardwired surge protector did it's job and stopped the surge but started a fire in the utility area where it was installed. They were gone at the time of the surge and the fire spread before someone noticed it.

May change over to Progressive in the not to distant future.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Sold!