Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Surround Sound 2014 Meridian 40U

I have been disappointed with the TV sound in the living room area. When the AC's are running, I have to put on full volume.

Yesterday I played the DVD (LG) for the first time and I noticed that the sound is piping through all the ceiling speakers. The sound was a pleasant surprise.

The coach entertainment center came pre-installed with a HDMI 4X4 Matrix, a Winegard and a LG Blu Ray DVD Player. I had DirecTV install a DVR box and a Genie box. I have a couple of questions:

1. How can I access the rear of the TV in the living room? I have been looking for some type of release mechanism so that I can pull the TV out and see the connections.

2. How can I get the TV in the living room on the surround sound currently being pumped out by the DVD player?

3. I have to keep the entertainment center door open when using the remote on the LG DVD player. I would think that the IR receiver would work with the LG remote. It does work fine with the Samsung TV remote and DirecTV remote. How can I get the LG to work off the IR?

Thank you in advance for any replies...

Rick and Karri
Old 05-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does your DirecTv have and audio(optical) out? We run an optical out from our Dish receiver to the digital in of our surround sound/player.

No reason to get behind the TV.

We did run another HDMI connection to our TV for computer input. We loosened (we have an 2011 40U) the screws along the bottom bracket then removed the screws across the top bracket and then we could lift the TV to the side.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

-Grumpy- # 1 Checking on this.
#2 the TV audio output is connected to the AUX input on the DVD player so select AUX input on the DVD player and crank up the volume.
#3 Check the IR transmitter should be one stuck on the front of the DVD player. They tend to fall off or not get installed.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

-Grumpy- Picture below is from the back. Looks like there is a roll of screws across the top. Remove the screws and then lift the mount up out of the bracket on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 40U TV Mount.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	93350  
Old 05-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Also, if it's the same Samsung that's in the Tour....there are no audio out or anything that will help your cause.

You can play TV audio through the ceiling speakers. The directions are very specific and are located in the entertainment section of the owners packet.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all the replies...

I am saddened to hear that there is no audio out connectors on the TV (tnteacherguy).

As for your response grtharris, I did as instructed and was able to get the TV audio via the DVD player. The only gripe I have is that the IR receiver under the entertainment center cabinet, does not seem to be working. I have to keep the cabinet doors open in order to increase / decrease the volume. I found a small IR where the DVD player is located. I placed the small IR outside of the cabinet with no success. The volume control on the remote still did not increase / decrease the volume. Any suggestions?

Again, thanks to all the are helping...
-Grumpy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Grumpy- you do have an audio output connector on the back of your TV that is how you are getting the sound from the TV to the DVD player.
The small IR transmitter goes on the front of the DVD player as shown in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR Transmitter.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	93431  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

grtharris... thank you for your response. I attached the small IR receiver (it was just laying on top of the DVD player) as your picture shows.

I noticed that your DVD player is inside a cabinet, as the one in my coach is. For some reason, I have to keep the cabinet door open in order to increase the volume, change functions, etc., on the DVD player. Do you have to do the same?

FYI: There is a larger IR receiver mounted on the wall just beneath the entertainment cabinet where the DVD player, Winegard, HDMI 4x4 Matrix, and DirecTV equipment is located. It does nothing when I point the DVD remote at it.

It is perplexing that I have to keep a cabinet door open in order to use the the DVD player with the remote.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

-Grumpy- The drawings shows the IR receiver for the front TV to be mounted on the bottom of the cabinet above the TV. Either through the bottom of the cabinet or fastened to the bottom depending on build date. The IR receiver connects to the Matrix Balun in the cabinet above the TV. The IR transmitter for the DVD player connects to the Matrix Switch above the DVD player and must be paired with the HDMI cable going to the DVD player.
Yes I can control my DVD player from the TV in the bedroom. My DVD player sets under the TV in the living room and the cabinet has glass doors so I just moved the DVD player over a little so the IR sensor is in front of the glass.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Grtharris

I apologize. You are correct. There is a pair of rca audio out in use by the DVD player.

I guess I should have said, "additional audio outs".

I suppose you could defeat the in-ceiling speakers and do some sort of sound bar. Especially if it did not require another remote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Surround Sound 2014 Meridian 40U

👀smh
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks grtharris... I do see the IR above the living room TV. It only seems to work with the DirecTV remote. If I try to use the LG DVD remote, I have to open the entertainment cabinet door to control DVDs or volume.

I have to take this coach in for service in a couple of weeks. I will have the dealer try and resolve the concern.

Again.... thanks for all the help.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

-Grumpy-, Have them make sure the correct IR transmitter is attached to the front of the DVD player. There are 4 of them laying up behind the Matrix Switch one of each input device to the Matrix Switch.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Grumpy on our 2012 we do not have the HDMI Matrix switching system, but I had a heck of a time programing the DVD/Surround Sound system to play the TV Audio too.
Could it just be a programing issue with the remote like I had? My main issue was the remote I had did not match what was pictured in the instruction so button function was a pain to match up.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Grumpy, we had a 2013 Meridian with the matrix system and Sony Dvd. If I remember correctly when the TV was on we would go to the audio function on the DVD player and the sound would come through the ceiling speakers. You might try that if you have not already do so. Hope I'm remembering correctly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote