RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Sway Bar Vista 29VE

Has anyone put a rear sway bar on their 29ve Vista? I was caught in a really bad wind storm recently and just wondered if it would have helped. It was a white knuckler that's for sure!

RonnTerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Well, an ANTI-Sway bar would have helped but only minimally. Your coach, no matter how long or short is a HUGE slab of metal/fiberglass/RFP (makes no difference) that the wind can push around like it was a feather. An ANTI-Sway bar works best when taking a corner, it exerts pressure and tries to keep the vehicle level.
Like I said, it will help in wind but better suited for going around corners.

There are a multitude of companies selling Anti Sway bars and if it were me I'd buy one at least 1 3/4" in diameter. By the way, they work even better if you also have an Anti Sway bar on the front axle.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Try the CHF first before spending money on new sway bars. The stock sway bar is adjustable the CHF adjust it to make it stiffer just like an after market bar would do.

Most are very satisfied wit the CHF alone, including me.
jharrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

I noticed you have a rear track bar did you add that after the CHF and how does that help?
RonnTerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnTerF View Post
I noticed you have a rear track bar did you add that after the CHF and how does that help?
I did the track bar first and it helped as well, the CHF second, then I adjusted to more toe in myself as well, also big help. I would say all three where a very similar amount of improvement. CHF and toe are free the trackbar is not although you can fabricate one yourself for much less.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your Vista is on a F53 chassis, consider performing the CHF before spending any money on aftermarket suspension components...

1) Late model (2006 and up) F53 had a very nasty habit of the bolts for the rear sway bar to axle attach point falling out. Remove the bolts, then reinstall them with blue locktite. Torque the bolts to 65 ft-lbs.

2) Perform the CHF, both front and rear. This involves moving the sway bar links from the front adjustment hole to the rear adjustment hole,.

3) Verify your tire pressure,

4) have the front end alignment checked. I recommend setting it at the maximum toe-in.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ronn,

We added a rear DIY TB to a friends RV which is similar to yours. He had already done the CHF front and rear but they were still very unhappy with the wondering and wind issues. In fact they were looking to sell and maybe downsize to a van. After the rear TB they are keeping it and constantly making improvements because they love how it handles now. Even his DW, who is only a passenger noticed the improvement.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

Echo the comments about CHF. Made a world of difference on my "Baby" Entegra 29S. I see no need to further modify.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

I googled CHF and it says it's "Chronic Heart Failure" or "Congestive Heart Failure"
Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I googled CHF and it says it's "Chronic Heart Failure" or "Congestive Heart Failure"
Top stickied post in the Ford forum: Cheap Handling Fix
Old 04-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

I know, just messing with you guys !!!!!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Thanks everyone will try the cheap handling fix on my Vista 2017 29VE. I bought this new and didn't think it handled all that badly until that last trip. Of course have never experienced a wind storm like that, made me stay in an RV park for two days!
I already have the Safety T Plus stabilizer bar on it so every little bit will help.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
RonnTerF,

You experienced something that I have addressed several times. There are several MODS (modifications ) that can be done to the F-53 chassis to improve the ride and handling. Some quit when they have done a few because all seems well in their travels.

After we purchased our 2014 Vista 30T I did the CHF in a camp ground before we departed from the factory. The unit had 40 miles on it. We have 32,000 miles on the RV and is handles very well for an F-53 chassis.

Early on I made up my mind that I wouldn't stop based on how well it handles on good and slightly windy days. I wanted to prepare for the worst possible conditions just because I could and as you discovered there will/may come a time when you wish you had done all you could possible do to improve the handling.

Two years ago we encountered a strange situation when a gust of wind almost took the steering wheel out of my hand. It wasn't a bad windy day it was what I called a "Perfect storm" situation. Three roads merged into traffic and bang out of nowhere a gust just about ripped the wheel out of my hand. There were two semi's one on either side and it was a seat pucker moment for sure.

At that point I again said I would do all I could to get the best and safest situation as possible.

I agree we shouldn't have to spend a lot of extra $$$$ after buying an RV but it is what it is. Either do it or perhaps be miserable driving and or unsafe.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #14

Follow up I did the CHF and just got back from a short trip it really made a difference corners so much better. Thanks to all who suggested it ..this is the best place to get answers. I did the alinement right after I got it and the stabilizer safe T plus now CHF all is good.

Tags
sway bar