Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sway Control and Steering ~45 degrees off Center.

Hello. Wifey and I purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista 26HE the middle of last year. This was our third RV purchased, with a 32' Class C and a 40' 5th being the other two. We are really having issues with Sway on this Class A, to the point where Wifey refuses to drive it, and i feel like I've gone a few rounds with Tyson after just a few hours on the interstate. I've seen comments about the SafeT, Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Ultra Trac systems. I've seen Sway Bars Front, Sway Bars Back, Track Bars, and Steering Controllers, as well as airbags, etc for the springs. I'm really swimming in too much information and am having a crisis of Analysis Paralysis.

We also have a problem with the steering wheel being about 45 degrees off of center, which I'm hoping the dealer will take care of.

We are hoping to leave on a 2 1/2 week 4k driving trek across country mid to late April, so I'm going to do...something...in the near term. I would love to hear from other late model Vista owners about what they chose to do or not do and how it worked out for them.
RorynaterTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do the CHF, ( cheap handling fix ) before spending big money.

It's free to do yourself or an hour's labor for a shop to do it.

If you got some time search CHF and read all about it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

To help your handling issues, in this order:

1) Set tire pressures based on actual axle weights per the tire manufacturer's recommendations.

2) Have an alignment done on the coach, fully loaded (fuel, water, stuff, etc.). When the alignment is being done, ask them to set the steering wheel straight.

3) If it's still having handling issues (which it may) consider installing a Trac-bar which connects the rear axle to the frame. Takes a lot of 'tail-wagging-the-dog' out of the equation.

4) Since it's a 2016 I am assuming it has adequate sway bars front and rear. Check to see if they are adequate. Call Henderson's lineup in Grant Pass, Or. for advice.

5) Last item to consider is a Steering Stabilizer, such as the Safe-T-Plus.

I consider handling issues like 'peeling an onion'. Improve one layer at a time, and judge for yourself the improvement before spending $$'s on the next layer. All these layers will help, but you might be perfectly satisfied after, for example, #3 above. The Trac Bar usually gives you the most bang for the buck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'd recommend having a mechanic check out your suspension for damage. It is not normal for your steering wheel to be off by 45 degrees!

Also, the Ford F53 chassis is known for having broken rear sway bar mounting brackets. Here's a picture of the broken bracket on my 2016 Sunstar with 5000 miles on it.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2013 Sunstar 26HE (sister to your coach). I have done quite a bit of suspension work to make the ride and steering as smooth as possible. With each modification, I have seen an improvement and don't regret the money I have spent to make those improvements. I have added Firestone airbags which helped soften the ride and prevents bottoming out. I have added Helwig front and rear anti-sway bars (replaced the front OEM anti-sway bar and added a secondary anti-sway bar to the rear) to prevent the motorhome from swaying side to side. I added an Ultra Trac bar to prevent the "tail wagging the dog motion" when large vehicles pass me by. Lastly, I added the Safe-T Plus steering stabilizer to assist with the steering of the coach. My steering wheel was also off center when I purchased the motorhome. My Ford mechanic was able to fix this and installed all of the components mentioned above, except the Safe-T Plus which was installed by Camping World.

When I went from my 26' Itasca Class C to my 27' Itasca Class A (current motorhome), the first thing I noticed is it handled completely different. The Class A is more susceptible to wind, vehicles passing by, and road conditions. Although I love the features of my Class A, it is harder for me to drive. The improvements I mentioned above helped a lot, but it still does not drive like my Class C did.

I know a lot of people on the forum do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) and swear by it. I chose not to do it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had a lot of body roll on our rig and added Sumo Springs front and rear. What a difference! Feels much better around trucks, in corners, in and out of drive ways, and just all around improvement. There is an article in MH magazine and several posts that can answer questions about Sumo Springs if you are interested.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have seen threads on here where Wini will pay for the alignment. Be sure to read a couple before the alignment and see the specs recommended there and pass on to shop. If dealer or Wini will not pay, the alignment should be under $200. As above tire presure and loaded close to travel. Then see how unit drives before more $$ and then have the steering stabilizer checked at alignment. If it does not have one add an RSSC, the Cheap handling fix and next a rear track bar like the Tiger Track. Do one step at a time as each step may make the drive satisfactory.

LEN
Old 01-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorynaterTX View Post
Hello. Wifey and I purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista 26HE the middle of last year. This was our third RV purchased, with a 32' Class C and a 40' 5th being the other two. We are really having issues with Sway on this Class A, to the point where Wifey refuses to drive it, and i feel like I've gone a few rounds with Tyson after just a few hours on the interstate. I've seen comments about the SafeT, Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Ultra Trac systems. I've seen Sway Bars Front, Sway Bars Back, Track Bars, and Steering Controllers, as well as airbags, etc for the springs. I'm really swimming in too much information and am having a crisis of Analysis Paralysis.

We also have a problem with the steering wheel being about 45 degrees off of center, which I'm hoping the dealer will take care of.

We are hoping to leave on a 2 1/2 week 4k driving trek across country mid to late April, so I'm going to do...something...in the near term. I would love to hear from other late model Vista owners about what they chose to do or not do and how it worked out for them.
:welcome:

Glad you found us. Hope we can help you and DW.

The F53 chassis seems to have many issues. I suggest that you look in on the "RV Forum" tab above and "Ford Chassis". You should find some helpful info there.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Tags
steering, steering control, sway, sway bar