Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tank Sensor Access on '02 Adventurer

Having problems with the sensors on the black and grey water tanks and I want to install the SeeLevel system. I can see the water tank from the large passenger side storage bin, but no such luck with the black and grey water tanks. Can someone suggest where to start looking for access to the existing tank sensors?

Oh, and how does the SeeLevel sensor work on the steel LP tank when they say they don't work on metal tanks, yet they offer an LP tank sensor?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

CJ7ole,

Why don't you convert your system to the newer Winnebago TruLevel sensors? I did this on my 03 Journey several years ago and have been very happy with the results. You can use the existing panel in your MH by changing out the circuit board and the sensors with the proper plugs and harness just stick on your tanks.

I don't remember the exact cost, but I'm positive it was under $300. The job took me less than 3 hours.

The necessary parts have been listed in a 2005 "service tips" article on this website.

To find your tanks, start at the dump valves and look up. The sensors should be on the drivers side of the tank since that is the deep end.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the suggestion and where to look for access.

I am liking the SeLevel system with the readout in % increments rather than 1/3 tank increments and, if I am picking the right system, it is under $200 for 3 water tanks and the LP tank level.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....n=Custom&ID=45

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=493
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I had a '03 35U that I put the seelevel system on. The access panels between the 35u and yours may be in different locations, but I'll try and help.
The grey and black tanks are sloped towards the drain side of the tanks. That is the ideal end to place the new sensors. The existing sensors however, are on the shallow end. My gray tank had two access panels. The shallow end was on the curb side right in frontof the rear wheel. If you open your storage doors on the curb side, look for a metal panel that has three million screws and some gunk holding it in place!! It is about 7" -9"high and about 24" long. That would give you access to the grey tank where existing sensors are. But before you open it up, lets try and find the panel that would be on the the street side so you can get access to the deep side of the tank. On the 35U, you open up the dining room slide and up under the slide just in front of the rear wheels, you will see a similiar sized panel above the chassis frame. In addition to giving you access to the gray tank, that panel may give you access to the black as well. If not, I got access to the black from inside the water/sewer bay . Open up the door, look up in above the outside shower and water valves. There is an area where the metal panel that holds all that stuff is opened up and you can see up inside. You should be able to see the black tank and probably see the existing tank sensors.
When I installed my unit, I cut a hold in the wall inside right below where my existing tank monitor was located for the new unit. I disconnected the plug from the current monitor so that I could use the wiring that was coming to it from the existing sensors. I didnt want to feed new wire up thru the coach to the new monitor.
Cut the wire off of the sensors at the tanks and use it to attach the new sensors to. So you will need to also remove that gray panel on the curb side so you can cut the wire off the existing sensor and then run more wire from there to the otherside of the tank where you want to place your sensor.

let me know if this helps.
Mike

PS: I just attached the existing wire up in the wall behind the current monitor for the LP to the new monitor and it works fine. No other work necessary.
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the TrueLevel system on my 35N and the gray tank was behind an access panel on the passenger side. I had access to the black tank in the service bay.
I called Winnebago customer service to get the location of the gray tank.

The black sealant Mike mentioned was very tenacious stuff and and I found it best to use a utility knife to cut it rather than try to pull the panel free. I was actually bending the panel.

Regarding your question about the LP tank. They (SeeLevel and TrueLevel) use the existing variable resistor built into the gauge on the tank rather than a capacitive type sensor like the ones used on the waste tanks
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, thanks for the pointers guys! I know what you mean about the black gooey stuff, I think it is butyl tape, ran into it on the reefer vent on top of the coach, had to use a putty knife and hammer to pry the screen off. I am going to save this project for my November three week trip to FL but will scope out the access before I go so I know what special tools I may need.