Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
The Dreaded Windshield Leak

I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30b. When I purchased the MH 3 years ago the windshield leaked. A week after purchase the windshield cracked. A blessing actually because insurance covered most of it. The cause was rust under the windshield. I had it repaired by a body shop that specializes in RVs. They ground down the rust and treated the metal with POR15.

Now three years later and it is leaking again. I suspect the same cause but I prefer not to use the the body shop I used before. To make a long story short, I could use some advice as to where to take the motorhome to get it repaired in Florida properly. I love this little motorhome and want to save it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I sealed the top 3 amber lights with DAP marine sealant and that stopped our leak
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

I'd be curious to know if it's the same windshield side leaking at the same spot. I would have a hard time believing the repair only lasted 3 years, because as you describe it, the repair was probably better than from the factory due to the materials they used.

I have never personally used them, but I have toured Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL, and do know a few people who have used them. It is an impressive shop, and those who I know used them were happy with their service.

They would understand the 'Dreaded Winnie Windshield Leak' issues.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Thank you, I forgot about Alliance. I heard good things also about them.

It is leaking at the same spot and rust pieces are falling down on to the dashboard.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
It is leaking at the same spot and rust pieces are falling down on to the dashboard.
It very possibly was poorly repaired, but FOR SURE, the source of the water leak was not found & stopped. Wherever the water is getting in needs to be found.

My leak came in 2007 or so, and I was able to determine that it came from a clearance lamp above the rusted spot. I check the lights once or twice a year, reseal as needed, and my leak has not returned. I also noticed that the rubber seal around the glass was not tight in some places so I fingered a bead of silicione caulk along BOTH sides of the seal going across the top and the bottom ...on the fiberglass one side and on the glass on the other. I suspect that has protected me from a new leak as much as keeping the clearance lamps sealed.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With rust falling onto the dash I would suspect the rubber strip above the windshield. A simple test is to clean the area above the strip and put a strip of electrical tape across it. If that stops it you have found the leak. I put a 4” electrical tape all the way across ours a year ago and no leaks since. It blends in and is not seen unless someone knows it is there.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

If it's like mine, the rubber weatherstrip comes off quite easily by removing the phillips head screws holding the vertical panels on each side. I was able to find my leak and seal it with some windshield sealant that I bought at an auto parts store.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I went back to the people who originally fixed the leak and they said they would look at it after Thanksgiving. They seemed sincere with their concern. I am hoping that it's an easy fix but I also have my doubts. I am considering selling the motorhome to friends so a long term fix is required.

I would like to thank everyone for their input and I will let you know what happens with the situation after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #9

Did a lot of reading about this issue but decided my '02 Journey with only 74,000 miles, along with evidence of having been stored under cover during off season by PO, only needed some protective maintenance. I did have a leak onto the dash.

First thing I did was use a spray bottle with Jasco Primer and Rust preventative (Home Depot). Squirted it up onto the visible steel frame for the window as well as I could in order to stabilize the rust in that important steel channel as the Jasco turns rust back into metal. Not as strong, but stabilizes the rust.

Than I used an above the window type after market rain gutter as a leak preventative. Bought 25' for my Journey and put it over every window except a couple protected by the awning assembly. For $50, it's very inexpensive insurance and doesn't look all that bad either. Comes in black and white. Rain Gutter for RVs from Amazon

Also wanted to reduce the chance that there would be any leaks from the front window rubber seal seams, so bought a roll of heavy duty, 4" wide, synthetic rubber tape. This I used to cover all the rubber gaskets on the edges, middle, and bottom of the front windows. So far it's holding up well, but I'll be prepared to replace it if and when it ages out. Synthetic Rubber Tape...

My drip-drip-drip on the dash right in front of the driver disappeared. Doesn't even show up when I'm driving in the rain. I did a couple weeks of hot dry weather camping to reduce the possibility of trapping any water in the window framework before I installed the gutters and tape.

I've also used Eternabond 4" tape to seal the front & end cap seams. Also put some tape over the running lights. So far so good and I expect to be pulling maintenance on these stop gap measures once a year. Much less expensive then a window removal with steel frame rework and rust removal.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

Windshield leak

On my '02 Adventurer I bought a length of the stick-on rain gutter and ran it across the whole front right above the rubber trim. I haven't had any leaks in the past but I think this gives me a little better protection and stops the water from running down behind it.
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I would have a hard time believing the repair only lasted 3 years, because as you describe it, the repair was probably better than from the factory due to the materials they used.
I can tell you from first-hand experience that the windshield repair can easily fail and start leaking again within three years, even after a full professional repair. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Just got my MH back from the shop. They were fantastic in that they were able to remove the existing windshields without breaking them. They ground the frame, reapplied the sealant, and reinstalled the windshields. I was expecting big numbers on the bill for the work but since nothing was broken it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #13

I had my windshield leak and had it repaired and then I noticed I had water on the other window coming in at the top. I ran black electrical tape from one side of the coach to the other on a nice hot day and it stopped the leaking. It has lasted for several years but I'm going to take it off and replace it this winter when I'm down south. It's a pretty cheap fix.
2001 Winnebago Adventurer
Kingston, Ontario
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurferlady View Post
I had my windshield leak and had it repaired and then I noticed I had water on the other window coming in at the top. I ran black electrical tape from one side of the coach to the other on a nice hot day and it stopped the leaking.
Not sure what size tape you used; for others that want to try an inexpensive fix, I've bought and used the 4" tape from Amazon. I think it comes in 3", 4" and 5". -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak