Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well, for the most part my MH has been great and most systems work as designed. However, I have not had that kind of luck with the hydrolyic system. I had just got it back 1/24 from the dealer after having the hydrolyic/eletric solinoids replaced. The slide outs were creeping out when parked or moving after a brief period of time. There are solinoids that control outward motion, and solinoids that control inward motion. Appearently all were leaking.

I got the rig back and went on a 4 day trip that weekend. It rained on us off and on the whole time, so I never noticed any drips anywhere around the rig. While walking past the rig on Sunday I noticed a puddle of red fluid under the AC condensor cooling unit on the drivers side. Further inspection revealed that the entire condensor and cooling fans were coated with the red fluid.

I crawled underneath and had someone hit the slide switch for the bedroom slide. The ram that pushed out the slide was dripping profusely with hydrolyic oil.

I pulled the MH out to prepare to take it to the dealer, and the right front had a puddle and a steady drip by the entry step! I had a repair done on this area of the hydrolyic system when the coach was new. A "T" fitting had to be replaced that was leaking fluid. It took 3 tries to diagnose and correct the problem at that time. This is now the third time to have the rig in to repair a hydrolyic problem with the slides. However, this is the first time that a ram has failed. This is getting pretty old. I am running out of hydrolyic parts to fix. So far HWH has supplied all the parts quickly. I hope the same will apply this time.

At least it is all happening under warranty...

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, for the most part my MH has been great and most systems work as designed. However, I have not had that kind of luck with the hydrolyic system. I had just got it back 1/24 from the dealer after having the hydrolyic/eletric solinoids replaced. The slide outs were creeping out when parked or moving after a brief period of time. There are solinoids that control outward motion, and solinoids that control inward motion. Appearently all were leaking.

I got the rig back and went on a 4 day trip that weekend. It rained on us off and on the whole time, so I never noticed any drips anywhere around the rig. While walking past the rig on Sunday I noticed a puddle of red fluid under the AC condensor cooling unit on the drivers side. Further inspection revealed that the entire condensor and cooling fans were coated with the red fluid.

I crawled underneath and had someone hit the slide switch for the bedroom slide. The ram that pushed out the slide was dripping profusely with hydrolyic oil.

I pulled the MH out to prepare to take it to the dealer, and the right front had a puddle and a steady drip by the entry step! I had a repair done on this area of the hydrolyic system when the coach was new. A "T" fitting had to be replaced that was leaking fluid. It took 3 tries to diagnose and correct the problem at that time. This is now the third time to have the rig in to repair a hydrolyic problem with the slides. However, this is the first time that a ram has failed. This is getting pretty old. I am running out of hydrolyic parts to fix. So far HWH has supplied all the parts quickly. I hope the same will apply this time.

At least it is all happening under warranty...

Sarge

Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is now the third time to have the rig in to repair a hydrolyic problem with the slides. However, this is the first time that a ram has failed. This is getting pretty old. I am running out of hydrolyic parts to fix. So far HWH has supplied all the parts quickly. I hope the same will apply this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Third time is the charm.. right ?!?! I hope you get it all fixed up this time. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, I got my fingers crossed!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Having this many failures of the same subsystem on a new coach just doesn't make sense....unless there is a more fundamental problem that techs are not finding. For example, was bad fluid ever installed (that caused a disintegration of seals) or is the pump pressure abnormally high? In addition to fixing the immediate problem, you might consider asking them to give the entire system a check so you don't face another frustrating failure.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would begin to suspect tthat the techs workinng on the hydrolic system are not very good. I can understand an occasional broken/loose fitting. Are you talking to HWH directly? Maybe they have a suggestion for the dealer that can repair properly.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Having the same type of problems with our HWH system. All was good until a solinoid was replaced last June. While preping for our Florida holiday trip in December, found an empty hydrolic tank. Now I know why the gravel under that are of the coach had looked wet all summer. After investigating this, found the "T" fitting on the manifold and a connector half way down the drivers side slide dripping with fluid. The coach is off to the shop for repairs and I plan on stopping by HWH on the way to Grand National in July.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The folks at HWH are first class and I bet they have the answer. I don't know why, but I have found that many shops/dealers are reluctant to call the supplier and ask them how ,what and when. They seem to want to try this and that and hope it works rather than go to the source.
Maybe call HWH yourself and see what they say.
Good Luck and Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If someone tech cross threaded the fitting into hole its to go in that part may have to be replaced. Some tight spots to work on under coach and can cause this problem when not able to see where fitting is screwing in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I thought that too, but each time a part failed, it was a different part. We gotta get to the end of this trail eventually..........