Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

If this is as BIG a problem as some of you make it out to be. How come there have been no roof recalls on all the Winn. products? Maybe I am not seeing the problem when I have been up on roof which is impossable for me now.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I wonder why Winnebago doesn't just apply eternabond on the seams in the first place? For the peace of mind I would have gladly paid a few hundred more for our MH and even ordered it as an accessory if it had been on the list and someone had explained the advantage of it over a stock seal job. I also wonder if storing a MH under a roof to keep sun and ice off would help reduce the chance of a leaky seam in the first place.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #23
doc
Winnebago Owner

This topic keeps coming up again and again. Winnebago says to check every six months, but they don't tell you HOW to check. When I re-caulked the roof seams on our Horizon they looked good. I was lucky because we had been to the factory and the guy there did the 'complimentary' roof seal check. Seam was loose about two feet strip above the driver's window. It looked great, but you only had to push in on the side of the roof at the joint and the seam would open. When we got home I got out a painter's tool and cut all the old caulk out and recaulked with some I bought at the factory. The old stuff was still in place, but had turned loose almost the entire length of the MH. I figured if a re-caulk was good that an application of EB would be better. The EB was cut into 2" wide strips and set from the bottom of the rain gutter and lapped up over the edge of the roof. I figure this will last as long as we own the MH. Only mistake I made was using the paintable stuff. THe other with the slick backing would have been much better.

It really is not hard to do, but make sure your ladder is secure. I fell off when it slipped and was in pain for a couple of weeks.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
If this is as BIG a problem as some of you make it out to be. How come there have been no roof recalls on all the Winn. products? Maybe I am not seeing the problem when I have been up on roof which is impossable for me now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably because no one holds a gun to their head in this case. Had it been a safety item then NHTSA people would have forced a recall.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
If this is as BIG a problem as some of you make it out to be. How come there have been no roof recalls on all the Winn. products? Maybe I am not seeing the problem when I have been up on roof which is impossable for me now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a big problem if you follow Winnebago's manual, check and repair every 6 months. But in the manual Winnebago does not explain how to check the seam. Which is to press on the roof section along both sides to see if the seam is open. Not seeing is the problem if you just look at the seam. And that's where the big problem starts as you think it looks good. To look at the seam it looks water tight when it may well not be water tight. Water gets in and the problems start. Many think the roof warranty will take care of their problems. If there is water damage you have not done the proper maintenance, Winnebago has covered that by telling you to check and repair as needed every 6 months. I for one can't push on the roof along the seam while on the roof and see if the seam is open. I had to work on a ladder along the side. I've had people show me there bills where they had paid the dealer to check it. Yet doing the press test the seam was clearly open. Which tells me many dealers don't know how to check the seam. So you see there will be no recalls as it is IMHO the owners job to to check and repair. Now it would be nice of Winne to explain how to check it in the manual and also explain to there dealers. In short you can caulk, caulk, caulk or Eternabond once and be done.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I think the problem is that the gutter is very smooth and slick,calkwill not stick to
surface. I found my 02 adv. was good except above the drivers door. {MH is garaged}
I cut both sides out and replaced with the 5200, and checked it after 2mo. and the
5200 had pulled loose from the very slick gutter, same spot!!! The 5200 can be removed
very easy, WITH A DRIMAL TOOL! Most likley will visit this problem again!!
And use the ERETHBOND and try to build a hood over the gutter, it will not be pretty.
WINNABAGO needs to state, that to keep the warranty in effect, CHECK THE ROOF SEAMS
ONCE A MONTH!!! What warrnaty??????????????????? I will not have this problem on my
next MH!!!TENN.VOL.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Bill's right, it's routine maintenance to check sealants and caulking. Is it a BIG problem? I only have experience with three Winnebagos that have this roof joint. My '98 in four years never had any sealant failure, my '02 had several small sections totaling about 15', all on the drivers side, fail after a year, and my '04 so far is doing well. In those eight years I also resealed a dealer installed sat. dish and a cb antenna mount, neither was leaking, but I didn't like the condition of the sealant. It's nice to know there's an aftermarket product like Eternabond that may permanently seal this joint should the need arise. Winnebago has got some "free" real world testing going on with this product and hopefully will be watching the results.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">l </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Somebody asked about sealant and whether it sticks to full body paint.

The answer is "NO". I was just up on my roof a couple of hours ago working on my in motion sat antenna. I checked the seam on both sides.

The seam on the curb side needed caulking for about 15' most of it directly over the awning.

I also noticed the rear edge of both my slideout awnings were beginning to fray. Additionally, the metal cover that goes over the main awning was loose on both ends. Minor adjustment for that one I think, but I'll let the dealer tackle that one and replace the two slide awnings.

I'm going to call Eternabond and ask them about painting. The biggest problem will be getting the paint I imagine. I don't want a gallon of three different colors of auto paint at 50-60 dollars or more a gallon.

From looking at the seam, I think a one to two inch strip of eternabond, tucked down into the gutter rail and over the seam onto the roof would solve the problem. I'll keep everyone posted as to what Eternabond says and also about getting the paint. It would sure be nice if it could be purchased in aerosol cans.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

anyone paint the eternabond yet? If so did you use the standard white tape or the web seal?

Also where did you get the brown paint? I need to find brown.

I have decided to put the tape on before I spot spot water.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
I wonder why Winnebago doesn't just apply eternabond on the seams in the first place? For the peace of mind I would have gladly paid a few hundred more for our MH and even ordered it as an accessory if it had been on the list and someone had explained the advantage of it over a stock seal job. I also wonder if storing a MH under a roof to keep sun and ice off would help reduce the chance of a leaky seam in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is exactly the question that I had. If Eternabond is good as everyone is saying it is, why not include this in the original installation of the roof?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Doug:

Some NAPA dealers can put custom automotive paint in spray cans. Get your paint codes from Winnebago if you don't already have them and find a NAPA dealer that can do the spray cans and you're in business. I know there is a NAPA in Albuquerque that does the cans.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
Doug:

Some NAPA dealers can put custom automotive paint in spray cans. Get your paint codes from Winnebago if you don't already have them and find a NAPA dealer that can do the spray cans and you're in business. I know there is a NAPA in Albuquerque that does the cans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some NAPA stores who sell automotive paint can certainly do that. Also, you can usually get pint cans mixed and use a small touch-up gun. I have used Dupont Centari in pints for a number of small paint projects on my rig using a touch-up spray gun.

It will be interesting to see what Eternabond says about painting their tape. Will likely need to have the paint jobber mix in some flex agent to keep the paint from cracking/flaking off.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I have posted concerning this topic recently. I have applied the "so called" paintable Eternabond Web. I've spoken to the Eternabond techs about their "paintable" web.
Believe me, it's not what I would consider paintable. Once you apply paint it becomes very hairy and fuzzy. You can lay the nap down with your finger to smooth it out some. The "Web" material is the only product they have which they say is "paintable". It must be painted as it has no UV protection. The other tapes, white etc. cannot be painted. Those tapes however are UV protected.
I had three colors mixed and canned for me at a cost of $25 a can, two can min. In the end I had to buy a primer with a hardener. This allowed me to sand the tape smooth (somewhat).
Since my coach was an early one, CDI (the paint company) has offered to repaint the roof colors and clear coat. I'm liable for $600. Apparently in the early days they only applied one clear coat above the drip rail.
So now I'm going to have about $1,000 invested to fix a Winnebago roof design. This is after spending close to $250k. Am I happy about it? Not...