Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Thetford Tecma not holding water

I previously contacted Thetford about my Tecma not holding water. They said to verify that the hose from the stool had a "J" loop that was above the water line. The stool was pulled and the loop was verified. The hose clamps were tightened. When we started on our winter trip, the stool was functioning normally. Now, it is no longer holding water. It very slowly drains out over about an hour. I am out of factory warranty by one month. Got any suggestion?
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
I previously contacted Thetford about my Tecma not holding water. They said to verify that the hose from the stool had a "J" loop that was above the water line. The stool was pulled and the loop was verified. The hose clamps were tightened. When we started on our winter trip, the stool was functioning normally. Now, it is no longer holding water. It very slowly drains out over about an hour. I am out of factory warranty by one month. Got any suggestion?

If you contacted Thetford during your warranty period and you are now having the SAME problem, perhaps recontacting Thetford is the first thing you should do. They MAY extend your warranty & fix your problem.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both under, pita spell checker!
Use an old toothbrush and scrub the "ball valve" surface where it seals and the seal also. A small amount of Tp or other waste will cause the leak that you describe.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Both under, pita spell checker!
Use an old toothbrush and scrub the "ball valve" surface where it seals and the seal also. A small amount of Tp or other waste will cause the leak that you describe.
Not that kind of stool. It is a macerator/electric stool.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
Not that kind of stool. It is a macerator/electric stool.
The problem is caused by Winnebago not putting a vent on the drain. When you flush the toilet it creates a vacuum which will then slowly pull all the water out of the bowl until the vacuum is broken. I got all of the stories about the pipe being to low, the bend in the drain not being high enough, etc. Lived with it for months. Then I bought an Oatey 39017 Sure-Vent Air Admittance Valve with 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch PVC Adapter and installed it directly behind the toilet. It just barely fits and probably should be a little higher but works great. Now the toilet hods water exactly as it should. Winnebago has vents on every other fixture but not this one which needs it the most! We really do like this toilet know.

Hope this helps you.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
The problem is caused by Winnebago not putting a vent on the drain. When you flush the toilet it creates a vacuum which will then slowly pull all the water out of the bowl until the vacuum is broken. I got all of the stories about the pipe being to low, the bend in the drain not being high enough, etc. Lived with it for months. Then I bought an Oatey 39017 Sure-Vent Air Admittance Valve with 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch PVC Adapter and installed it directly behind the toilet. It just barely fits and probably should be a little higher but works great. Now the toilet hods water exactly as it should. Winnebago has vents on every other fixture but not this one which needs it the most! We really do like this toilet know.

Hope this helps you.
Makes sense to me. Sounds like the fix I need.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK guys - pictures, if possible, would be invaluable. I've moved these toilets away from the wall - I don't see a lot of room for extra stuff. Thanks ...
Old 12-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to take pictures but am working on some instructions on how to do the mod. Should have them later tonight.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As nearly as I can remember here are the steps to add a vent to the Tecma toilet. I did this almost a year ago so I may have not remembered exactly. It has worked perfectly since this mod.

Basically I just placed a wye in the drain line and added an air admittance (one way vent) to the drain. I think I attached pictures of the parts used. I was just having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures as I did it.

Parts list:

1 PVC DWV 1 1/2" wye
1 PVC DWV Street Elbow 45 Degrees
1 piece of PVC pipe 1 1/2" about 3' long
1 Oatey 39016 Sure-Vent Air Admittance Valve with 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch PVC Adapter, 2-Inch
1 Flexible PVC Coupling Fitting 1 1/2"
PVC Glue

Remove the 4 screws holding the toilet to the floor and slide the toilet away to gain access.
Pry the wood top off in order to have better access to the area.
Loosen the clamp screw holding the toilet rubber drain to the black PVC drain pipe and disconnect the rubber drain.
Hold the existing drain up against the floor as far as possible and cut the verticle part of the pipe just below the floor (I used a Sawzal). You want to be sure to have enough pipe sticking up to slide a PVC flexible rubber coupling onto the pipe. Before you slide the coupling onto the drain pipe, cut a pvc pipe to fit into the coupling and the wye fitting. This pipe should be just long enough to provide a solid fit into the 2 mating fittings with just maybe 1/2" of extra pipe. You want to be sure it is firmly attached but not sticking up any higher than needed. Once this is cut, slide it into the coupling and then slide the coupling onto the existing drain pipe. Now tighten the screws on the coupling (which probably are facing the wrong way to reach).

Slide the wye fitting onto the pipe sticking up (do not glue yet). Cut a piece of pipe long enough to fit onto the straight through part of the wye and hold the vent just below the wood top. The vent should be as high as possible but not hitting the wood top when you remount the wood.

Place a 45 degree street elbow into the remaining wye opening and turn it so it is pointing so you can attach the toilet rubber drain. Cut a piece of PVC pipe to fit the elbow and allow a surface to connect the rubber toilet drain to.

Once you are sure everything fits glue all of the fittings together and allow to dry for a few minutes. Do a couple of test flushes and look for any leaks.

Slide the toilet back into position and replace the 4 screws.

I did not reattach the wooden cover but just set it in place. It has never come off and I can check that everything is OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39016.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	146485   Click image for larger version

Name:	611918018379.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	146486  

Name:	p323-015-7.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	146487   Click image for larger version

Name:	p600-015-7.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	146488  

Name:	Tecma.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	146491  
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I managed to get a few pix of the mod. One thing I saw is that I ended up not using the street elbow but just a short piece of pipe to connect the Tecma rubber drain hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gvd-0001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	146761   Click image for larger version

Name:	gvd-0002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	146762  

Name:	gvd-0003.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	146763   Click image for larger version

Name:	gvd-0004.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	146764  

Name:	gvd-0005.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	146765   Click image for larger version

Name:	gvd-0006.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	146766  

Name:	gvd-0007.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	146767  
Old 12-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I managed to get a few pix of the mod. One thing I saw is that I ended up not using the street elbow but just a short piece of pipe to connect the Tecma rubber drain hose.
Thanks! Tech is coming tomorrow. I'll show him both options.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #12

Thanks to George (aiken rver) we are now holding water in the Thetford Tecma. The tech that showed up to install the fix was knowledgeable about the issue. He had previously preformed the fix on a number of Winnebagos. According to him, Winnebago is the only manufacturer not to vent this type of stool or black tank. When the black tank is empty or near empty the stool will hold water. As it fills up, a vacuum forms that sucks the water out of the stool. When the tank is almost full you can stand there and watch the water level drop. Winnebago will not admit to an issue. However, they will pay under warranty to install the vent including parts less the cost of the service call.

The fix takes a little less than an hour:
  1. Remove four screws holding stool to floor.
  2. Pry off wood top to compartment behind stool.
  3. Disconnect stool outlet hose from stand pipe.
  4. Cut off about 7" from stand pipe.
  5. Fit wye to stand pipe.
  6. Cut two approximately 2 1/4" sections of 1 1/2" ABS pipe.
  7. Put one section in each of the remaining outlets of the wye.
  8. Fit 45 degree elbow to side of wye.
  9. Cut approximately 5" of 1 1/2" ABS pipe and fit to other end of elbow.
  10. Fit Oatey vent at other end of 5" pipe.
  11. Check for assembly fit.
  12. Disassemble and glue.
  13. Attach flexible coupling between existing stand pipe and new assembly.
  14. Attach stool outlet hose to top of wye.
  15. Test for leaks.
  16. Reattach wood top.
  17. Replace 4 screws to attach stool to floor.
  18. Use and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1823.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	146989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	146990  

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	146991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	146992  

Name:	IMG_1827.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	146993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	146994  

Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad the fix worked. Not sure I agree with the tech's assessment though. My black tank is vented. When trying to figure out my problem I also blocked my other toilet open thinking maybe the black tank vent was blocked, but to no avail. Didn't know Winnebago would pay for the parts.

Anyway, glad it works.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #14

The check will be in the mail soon

Wanted to let you know that Winnebago stepped up to the plate and authorized payment for parts and labor less the $45 service call. They balked at first saying that this was an unauthorized modification to their engineered plumbing system, and there was no space for the vent we installed.

They requested photographs. I informed them that both the tech and I had independently verified that the J loop was in place as per Thetford specs. I explained that as the tech told me there was no rhyme or reason for the Thetford not to hold water. This just happened on some units. I think they must have been impressed with the engineering of the fix and squeezing the vent into the space. I hope the next person looking for a fix will find this thread.

This forum and others have saved my bacon not to mention how many dollars over the years. Special thanks to aiken rver.

Tags
ecm, ford, water