Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Who is using the Doran Pressure Pro? Does it work as advertised? Any opinions, pros, cons, suggestions appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Who is using the Doran Pressure Pro? Does it work as advertised? Any opinions, pros, cons, suggestions appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have had the unit now for about 1 1/2 years. they went thru some growing at first, but the system now seems very reliable. I love having that piece of mind knowing that both the coach and car pressures are being monitored at all times.
Now having said that, I have heard that some members here couldnt get the valve sensors to screw on their particular style of wheels. I will have a member who may have the same style wheels as you do contact you by email and tell you what problems he ran in.
mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I recently purchased the Pressure Pro with sensors for the RV and dingy. The good news is that they work very well, No extra antenna was needed for the dingy (34 Journey pulling a Tahoe). The bad news is that the sensors are too big to fit in the hole where the valve stem comes out on the RV's aluminum wheels. I was able to put them on the two inside rears, but not on any of the others. I am looking for a straight valve stem extension that is about 2" long, but all I have found so far are 11/4" or the really long ones. I think that will let me get the sensors on. I was concerned about the sensors affecting the balance on the Tahoe, but I couldn't detect any change. It is nice to be able to check the tires every morning before leaving just by pushing a button on the dash. Pressure Pro does give a direct reading of the pressure, not just OK or not.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I was interested in the tire monitoring system also, but unfortunately was unable to get the tire sensor to fit in my wheel opening. I had the opportunity to try someones sensors for fit on the wheels and found that it wouldn't quite fit.

Extensions would have worked, but I couldn't find short enough of ones to use that wouldn't wxtend the sensors past the edge of the wheel. I was concerned with putting them out where they could rub a curb and break off if I got close to a curb.

The Duran is a nice system and if you can find the right extensions, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I tried the Doran system also but went back to the Tire Sentry unit, like I had on my previous coach. I wanted to try the Doran setup because it gave actual pressures as a readout instead of a warning LED if the tire pressure went low. I messed with it for a week and have now put it back in the box and don't know what to do with it. I bought the Tire Sentry setup and everything works fine. The Doran isn't a bad system but every system will have it's plusses and minuses. Here's the minuses I found about the Doran system:

1) The sensors are BIG compared to Tire Sentry. That makes it difficult to fit into some alloy rims (like mine).

2) The Doran system is touchy as to valve stem depression. There's a little nub inside the sender's female threads that needs to depress the valve stem or else the sensor won't see any air and will report it as flat. I had to play around with a selection of valve stem cores in order (especially on the inner dual extensions) in order to get them to read.

3) The Doran system reports the "last" pressure read. If your tire goes flat it won't report it until you start rolling to energize the sensor. This is to minimize battery drain.

4) The dash display unit is fair sized and takes up room on the dash and the power cable and antenna attach to the sides of the unit. My Tire Sentry is a neat little 2" round gauge that has rear mounted connections.

None of these are major issues and every brand has it's "minuses" but the Doran system just didn't live up to my expectations, so I put it back in the box and it sits on my shelf until I make up a classified section ad for it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Something you might want to consider:
Tire Sentry - I like it.
Several trips with Tire Sentry installed on Adventurer 35U, W22 and toad. Great peace of mind. Fine product.
I looked into what's available and decision was made on the following.
NO SHIPPING BACK AND FORTH FOR battery replacement. Batteries must be easily replaced by me where and when required, or when I want to years from now. Walk into a local store and buy your battery where ever you are. Must know condition of tire BEFORE RV/tire is rolled.
----------
Batteries are inexpensive and are purchased at any Drug, Convenience, Hardware store, etc. Locally priced at about $3 each or Internet as low as $1.62 each and these are for the long life Silver Oxide battery. Inexpensive to stock to have when you need them.

Batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention = long battery life.
All tires (10 in my case) are all on display. A quick glance is all it takes.
Each tire position is "Fully Adjustable (set) to the low pressure you want to be warned of".
If I have a 5 lb pressure drop in any tire pressure, I want to know about it, so I have my tires set at 5 lbs over recommended pressure. A 5 lb drop (to standard tire pressure) from any tire lights that tire position on the dash display along with audible warning. A tire is "never run below" recommended tire pressure before a warning is given.
Since batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention, this equals long battery life.
When a battery reaches a "low battery condition", that tire position becomes lit along with a "low battery" display. A low battery tire position is still operational for several weeks providing plenty of time for battery replacement at my convenience.

Once I have my tires inflated to the proper cold pressure, I could care less about anything else other than "if and when" a tire drops to standard recommended tire position.
Pics available below.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the Advantage Pressure Pro. I'm sure it's the same unit. It works very well. I've had no problems.

CalTex --
I have a '04 Meridian 34. It's got to be the same chassis as your Journey. I was able to install my sensors in my wheel openings. I'm surprised to hear yours won't fit.

Joe Fischer
2004 Itasca Meridian 34H
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Mountain Master TowBrake
Old 07-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

JoeT, I am sure that you have the same wheels that I have. The valve stem is in one of the holes in the wheel. The hole has slanted edges, which cause just enough of a bind that I am afraid that the sensor will get cross threaded. I have tried gently pushing the stem slightly to better center it in the hole, but still can't get the sensor on. You got yours on, was there any binding at all? Maybe your stems are more centered in the hole than mine.

Robert
Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

CalTex, I must admit I did have to push the stem toward the center on one front wheel and both outside duals. On one outside dual I had to use a small pry bar to move the stem far enough. I was a little apprehensive about prying too much, but I didn't have to move it very far and I did a soap bubble test on the valves afterward and have no leaks. As you mentioned, the holes have slanted edges. So after the sensor is screwed on it doesn't seem to bind.

Joe Fischer