Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire pressures for 2016 Itasca 24J? (Spinter chassis)

I'm taking delivery of a new 2016 Itasca 24J (Sprinter chassis) this week. Having owned a couple of motorhomes I understand the need to properly weigh a rig to determine correct tire air pressures. I'm wondering though, what other owners have found the correct pressure to be? Until I get it loaded and weighed I'd like to be sure the dealer has close to the correct pressure in the tires. All advice welcome and appreciated.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congrats! You will love it! To the point.... Winnie/Itascas like your 24J are built on Mother Benz's Sprinter 3500 dual rear wheel chassis. All have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR of 11,030 lbs. The recommended cold TPTP is 61for the GVWR .... all around. More is not better.

My View 24G, mission ready, is about 10000 lbs. I use 58 since I am slightly less than max.

The DOT placard on the driver's door sill is your friend. Weighing your RV is a good idea. Nothing fancy... All up, ready to roll, weight will do. Itasca and Mother Benz have things sorted out and determined that the TPs should be equal front to rear... You just sent to know that you are under 11,030.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Old Crows called it right. I wouldn't go through the weighing bull crap unless you're a recycler and you fill your compartments with lead and do interstate travel.

Do what the door jam label says.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just took delivery of a 2016 Navion 24M. I checked the tire pressure with 2 different gauges and found it came from the factory with pressures ranging from 71 to 75 pounds. I changed them all to 61, just as the door jamb says. It would be nice if Winnebago would follow their own recommendations.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I contacted Continental Tire via email and asked for a Load/Inflation chart and was told they don't have one but if I provided the weight on each tire, their "engineers" would provide inflation information. Based on my weights the recommended minimum pressure is 50 psi front, 55 psi rear.

I'm currently running 61 psi as stated on the door sticker and I can tell by the "dirt" on the tread of the front tires that 61 psi is too much, as the outer inch on both sides of the tire tread isn't making full contact with the ground.

Obviously your weight will be different from mine, so these recommended tire pressures may not apply.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I contacted Continental Tire via email and asked for a Load/Inflation chart and was told they don't have one but if I provided the weight on each tire, their "engineers" would provide inflation information. Based on my weights the recommended minimum pressure is 50 psi front, 55 psi rear.

I'm currently running 61 psi as stated on the door sticker and I can tell by the "dirt" on the tread of the front tires that 61 psi is too much, as the outer inch on both sides of the tire tread isn't making full contact with the ground.

Obviously your weight will be different from mine, so these recommended tire pressures may not apply.
Ken,

Correct...Conti does not publish inflation tables .... I've never found one anywhere. And, Our weights will vary so its individual RV specific & maybe even trip specific......

"Dirt on the tread" is def old school... And a good low tech tool to assess inflation... You can also take sidewalk chalk and put a wide line across the tread. Drive 50' and check how the chalk wore off.

I also use an IR thermometer and measure the temperature across each tread. If it's uniform you are good. Also an indicator of general inflation of all the tires. Suspect low inflation if one is markedly higher than the others.

Also, recall that TP measured cold will increase 1 degree F for every 10F increase in temperature.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Old Crows,
Thanks for your reply. I find your insight and advice very informative.

Ken
Old 08-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Continental does publish load and inflation tables. I have downloaded them. I see if I can find the URL and post it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Continental Load and Inflation tables

Here you go. Note that these are for truck tires.

http://www.continental-truck.com/www...les_pdf_en.pdf
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Here you go. Note that these are for truck tires.
http://www.continental-truck.com/www...les_pdf_en.pdf
Thank you Charles. I should have been more precise..... Conti does not publish pressure tables for the Vanco FourSeasons LT245/75R/16E tire that is OEM fitment on Mercedes Sprinters.

Your link is for Conti's 'medium' truck tires...... Vanco FourSeasons are 'light truck' tires......

Too bad.... a pressure table for their FourSeasons might be useful. OTH, Conti being a German company might have some silent reasons for not publishing a table..... 'like vee kno mor dan youse..... yust trust usss ... Vee kno vat vee ar do-ink'

Tags
chassis, itasca, tire pressure