Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Tire Recommendation

Friend has 38 winne and is ready to put new drive tires on. My 45' DP has bridgestones all 8 and I am very happy but his are only 275 70 r19.5

what do you recommend I had a hard time finding 19.5 of any kind.

He does not really need mich 650.00 each tires for a light weight and he has new stones on front last year. I remember about 1200 for 4 new drives when we had a winne a few years back. Thoughts?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had Bridgestones for 8 years and loved them. Why not stay with them if that's what he's already using?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Sailun tires are working out for Alot of people including me....

Some are having good luck with Samsons also. ... check out simpletire.com
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Have him check Amazon or eBay. Amazon prime has free shipping for tires.

Here's a look: Tires close in size at Amazon

I've used several of the brands on that page and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Friend has 38 winne and is ready to put new drive tires on. My 45' DP has bridgestones all 8 and I am very happy but his are only 275 70 r19.5

what do you recommend I had a hard time finding 19.5 of any kind.

He does not really need mich 650.00 each tires for a light weight and he has new stones on front last year. I remember about 1200 for 4 new drives when we had a winne a few years back. Thoughts?
Hey Don,
ANYTHING but Michelins. It's been a while since I've done any research on 19.5" tires but, if I recall, I bought 6 new Bridgestones for our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V and had great mileage, ride and luck with those. I recently switched from the proprietary 255 80R 22.5 Michelins to a full set of Yokohama 265 75 22.5" RY-103s and, very, very happy with them, especially at about 1/2 the cost of the Michelins.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced all 6 tires on my unit.
When I bought the unit 6 yrs ago, I went to a shop in Sebring, Fl, and had all new Cooper Roadmaster RM 170's installed w/ all balanced.
These are Commercial Grade tires with Load Range G, 14 ply.
They functioned flawlessly for 6 trips to Florida, each winter.
Due to age only, I recently replaced these tires with 6 US Made Kelly RMS Commercial Tires. (245 70Rx19.5) The date code was new, just 3 weeks old!!
Again, Commercial Grade, Load Range G.
These tires sell for about $250 - 260 each.

I realize that it has been reported that the commercial 14 ply tires ride "harder" than the RV grade tires, but on I-95, I can't tell the difference and the stability and response of the tire is great. I run the tire pressure a little on the high side, so I can feel the bumps more than a soft tire.

My total cost was about $1950.

Although the tires that were removed were in perfect condition with only 12,000 miles on them, I have the peace of mind that I have avoided the much discussed ageing problem with tires and do not have to constantly think about a possible blowout.

It has also been discussed that RV tires are more expensive....just because they are for a RV. Not concerned about the special UV chemical added, I keep my tires covered.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

What makes you think the Cooper tires are 'aged out' at 6 years? Does Cooper say that in their documentation?

Even the Michelin XLR tires for RVs that tend to crack are rated for 10 years, according to Michelin.

So I'm curious where you got that information on the Cooper's. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tire that was officially aged out at 6 years.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Check out simple tire. They have lots of 19.5" tires and free shipping.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
What makes you think the Cooper tires are 'aged out' at 6 years? Does Cooper say that in their documentation?

Even the Michelin XLR tires for RVs that tend to crack are rated for 10 years, according to Michelin.

So I'm curious where you got that information on the Cooper's. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tire that was officially aged out at 6 years.
Just read an article where the major manufacturers recommend a "Expert" evaluation of your tires at the 5 - 6 yr age with replacement at 10 yrs.
An expert was NOT a person who installs the tires but someone more qualified (Not sure how to address this).

So, My tires had a date code of 3111 which makes them 7yrs old.
Chemical degradation occurs over time, not use. So, it looks like I'm at the 70% point of my tire life. A rather serious fact to consider when you, your wife and your home for 6 months is going down the road at 60 mph.

Considering that there are reports in the RV News where tires that were of this age having blowouts AND the fact that my wife feels better about the new tires, I opted to take the very conservative route and installed new tires.

I also realize that many of the blowout accidents that we read about may be the result of overloading, incorrect tire pressure, etc.

Enough can go wrong when you drive a motorhome south for the winter. I opted to remove one concern from the list.
The money spent is of little consequence compared to the effects of a blowout.
My trip will be more enjoyable now.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Just read an article where the major manufacturers recommend a "Expert" evaluation of your tires at the 5 - 6 yr age with replacement at 10 yrs.
An expert was NOT a person who installs the tires but someone more qualified (Not sure how to address this).

So, My tires had a date code of 3111 which makes them 7yrs old.
Chemical degradation occurs over time, not use. So, it looks like I'm at the 70% point of my tire life. A rather serious fact to consider when you, your wife and your home for 6 months is going down the road at 60 mph.

Considering that there are reports in the RV News where tires that were of this age having blowouts AND the fact that my wife feels better about the new tires, I opted to take the very conservative route and installed new tires.

I also realize that many of the blowout accidents that we read about may be the result of overloading, incorrect tire pressure, etc.

Enough can go wrong when you drive a motorhome south for the winter. I opted to remove one concern from the list.
The money spent is of little consequence compared to the effects of a blowout.
My trip will be more enjoyable now.
It certainly is your money to spend as you wish.
Actually if you read enough posts on this forum about tires aging out, you would see that you are kind of a slowpoke in that regard. Some are replacing at the 4 year mark or even a little less.
Happy travels.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote