Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tired of the Blue DVD/Radio light at night

Finally decided to do something about that annoying Blue light coming from the factory installed DVD/Radio. We used to put a towel or piece of clothing over the radio to block the light. Well this weekend I made a switch bracket and wired in a shut off switch. I mounted the rocker switch on a L shaped bracket that I screwed inside the cabinet below the radio. Now all I have to do is open the cabinet Door and flip the switch and poof darkness! It was simple to do took about an hour to make the aluminum bracket, drill the holes, mount the rocker switch, cut the power wire to the radio and splice in the wires to the switch.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Great idea, will copy with pride. That way I don't have to strategically drape pants or shirt over the darn thing!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Radio shut-off Switch

We have owned 3 Winnebago coaches and have installed the switches on all 3, not only in the bedroom, but on the outside entertainment center radio.
This radio will come on sometimes by it's self and have nothing but static. The warming circuits on these radios also draw power when or if you are dry camping.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Dang, I was hoping you found a way to turn the blue light off in the settings. I will add that to my to do list so I don't have to do the t shirt thing.

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Solution: Small piece of electrical tape to cover the light.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Ditto on the use of a small piece of black electrical tape - have done this in the house on a number of items - also used it on the MH bedroom carbon monoxide Green LED on light, it's amazing how it had become much more than an indicator light and more of a night light!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm still using a heavy piece of material that I cut out of an eye glass case.

It's strange that I can purchase a house radio clock and it has a button to dim and even shut off the display.

Wake up Jensen!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Dimmers

Someone makes a product called 'Dimmers'. Peel & stick plastic sheets with various size & shapes already cut out. Stick one over a bright LED and it becomes a dim one. Stick 2 and it's a very dim one.

I've used something like them to dim a clock radio that illuminated the whole dang room.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
We have owned 3 Winnebago coaches and have installed the switches on all 3, not only in the bedroom, but on the outside entertainment center radio.
This radio will come on sometimes by it's self and have nothing but static. The warming circuits on these radios also draw power when or if you are dry camping.
My outside Jenson radio comes on all by itself also. I pulled the fuse from the back of the radio and am planning to wire it inline to a switch.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
My outside Jenson radio comes on all by itself also. I pulled the fuse from the back of the radio and am planning to wire it inline to a switch.
Done.
I got an illuminated (lights when on) swich at Radio Shack and wired it into the red power lead and it works great
Now onto the next project.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Exactly my next project...I also put elec tape over the white display on the microwave. that light is very bright.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The radio in my Suncruiser has three settings for the backlight, but all were too bright. Like others, I installed a switch in series with the RED power wire. that way the radio clock stays powered, but the light is out. I cut a hole for the switch in the cabinet side towards the slide wall so that it is out of sight.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

just a reminder FYI... you will need to wire in a switch to the thinner red wire. If you just cut the wire (without wiring in a switch), the radio will not turn on.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Someone makes a product called 'Dimmers'. Peel & stick plastic sheets with various size & shapes already cut out. Stick one over a bright LED and it becomes a dim one. Stick 2 and it's a very dim one.

I've used something like them to dim a clock radio that illuminated the whole dang room.
For just a few bucks, grab yourself a roll of translucent red Lithographer's tape and start to dim down the standby lights on your super-bright gadgets. Unlike covering the LED with opaque black electrical tape, the Lithographer's tape will still let light get through. Only now it will be about half as bright as before and shine a "pleasant deep red."
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Problem solved on my 2011 Vista

Couldn't figure out the light either. was annoyed that it pulled power when system was turned off. So... I read my owners manual. The Vista has a toggle swith on the dash that allows you to leave in the "blue light" configuration so that you can play the radio with the ignition off or in the second position that turns the blue light system off when the ignition is off. Let's hear it for the "little Vista builders".
jim1eddoc is offline   Reply With Quote