Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I know many of you are lucky enough to store your MH in a nice enclosed storage. I am not as fortune enough to have a facility and can't afford an indoor storage garage (&500 - $1K) per month. I am considering getting a good quality cover for mine but need some advice. First, are there any drawbacks? Second, what cover would you recommend? I know I do not need or want a water proof one just one that is affective in cutting UV and protecting against dust/dirt.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know many of you are lucky enough to store your MH in a nice enclosed storage. I am not as fortune enough to have a facility and can't afford an indoor storage garage (&500 - $1K) per month. I am considering getting a good quality cover for mine but need some advice. First, are there any drawbacks? Second, what cover would you recommend? I know I do not need or want a water proof one just one that is affective in cutting UV and protecting against dust/dirt.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #3

I would never leave my unit uncovered up here at this altitude....the paint/graphics would look like toast in a year or so.....There is no paint rubbing, or flapping in the wind. When we take it off, the unit is still spotless...

We use the ADCO with TyVek (on top) cover. Its a good quaility.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Franko, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic over the years on this and other forums. Personally, I covered my first MH with a cover like you described. It worked great and I have no complaints. It stayed clean, kept a lot of the wetness off the exterior and provided UV protection. I would do it again if I did not have inside storage available now for my newer MH. I know some will disagree but that is my two cents worth. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Keep it moving, and you won't need a cover. I got a cover free when I bought my MH in Oct '06. It hasn't been out of the box.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

FrankO -
I live in the New England area which gets its share of lousy winter weather. I can't imagine not covering my MH in the winter months. I've used an ADCO w/Tyvek for close to four years now. The cover is starting to show its age but I won't hesitate to buy a new one when this one is done.

'04 KountryStar DP
'05 Saturn Vue AWD
Old 05-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have used the ADCO covers very successfully and they do a great job. No I never had any abrasion damage from using one. I would caution however, if you live where it freezes and thaws. Be sure you remove the cover, (if you plan to use the coach), before the cover freezes to the roof. It will ruin the cover when you remove it. In every other way they are great.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
LR
Winnebago Camper

I put on my cover in November and leave it on until spring. It is not difficult to get into the unit when it is covered and it definitely keeps the motorhome in better shape. Have had no problems with scratching or abrasions.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedbac:
FRRVer lives in the same conditions as I so he knows what the UV rays can do at this altitude so that is my #1 concern.
The point about taking the cover off after the top has thawed is an excellent point as I use to cover one of my collector cars and I tried to remove the cover one time when there was snow on it -- bad idea. Unless we have another winter like this last one I can usually have a day within a week of leaving on a planned trip to get the cover off.
There seems to be a concern about abraison from the cover. Does that mean I should some how wash it down or periodically?
BTW -- If I could keep it moving all the time I would but DW is still working for another 8 months so until then we are limited to how much time we can travel.
Thanks again -- Frank O.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

FRANK O: I have never had abrasion problems with mine in several years of use. They are soft on the underside and they are pretty well secured. I think one of pluses of a cover is the a wax job last longer, along with UV protection. No extra care is required at all.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #11

Questions for anyone who has a cover:

How easy is it to put one on? Seems like they are heavy... do you walk on the roof or drag a ladder along side?

While protecting the exterior sidewalls, are you potentially exposing the roof to damage by walking on it?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Everyone probably has their own method. I use a 20 ft length of nylon rope. I lay the cover out in front of the rig. Tie the rope around a large wad of the cover. I go up on top, DW throws the rope up to me. I walk it back to the rear of M/H. Drop the sides down as I go. Climb down the ladder and pull the rear of the cover down with me. Tie it off with the straps provided with the cover. The cover has an elastic sewn in on the bottom edge. Takes less than 10 minutes, and is very secure. I have already lowered my radio antennas before I start to pull the cover.
If I work by myself, I use a longer rope and tie it to the vent, this means I have to make two trips up on top, not a big deal.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I walk on the roof of my RV at lest several times a year specifially at the start and end of the RV season around here. Im my case it's fiberglass type roof but a rubber roof should be ok also. Use reasonable precations as to debris on you shoes or use your stocking feet. I have found it easiest to have a helping hand for putting on the cover and at removal time. Roll it out on the roof and let it drape down the sides. Make sure to secure it against wind.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

How about this for a one man operation to get the cover on without going on the roof. If you have been to any baseball games where they have had to deploy the field cover they use a couple of guys to unroll the cover by pulling (running) with a rope that was rolled up with the cover when it was last stowed. Seems to me you could use the same technique by rolling a rope up with the cover (sides folded in, front to back). So if it isn't too heavy, you could climb the back ladder and place the roll on the back and then throw the tag end of the rope to the front. Then climb down and slowly pull the rope fom the front and unroll the cover back to front. The sides then could be unfolded, as can be the front and rear. Probably would need something to hold the roll in place so insure you did not pull the rollrather than unrolling it.
What do you think?
Frank O.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I never used a cover on my first rig because it was parked next to the house and it was protected. My current rig, 36' long, I started putting a cover on it when I first got it 10 years ago to protect the graphics and paint. What happened was the wind was pretty active over time and the lower panels started showing signs of chaffing. The clear coat is coming off.
To put this critter on was no problem. I just lifted the sides to the center, folded from the outside in, and rolled it up from the front to the back. bungee cord to hold it. When I put it on, carried it up the ladder, it was very light, removed the bungee cord, rolled it to the front, unfolded and walla.
Not really that hard, just get a system that works for you.
Yo, CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a pole barn to keep my rig covered now, but prior to building the pole barn , I used a ADCO to cover it when not in use. To put the ADCO on, I used a ladder in the front placing the folder-up cover on the roof. Then went up on the roof and unfolded it to the rear. Not too difficult, especially with the wife's assistance on the ground. It worked well and kept the MH in good shape.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I use the same technique that Homer does. Living in S. California, the sun and wind is pretty brutal. The Adco cover lasts about 2 years on average, with an annual cost of about $200. Works well. The cover must be chinched down to keep it from flapping and wearing the paint.
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Lot's of good advice from people who actually use covers. The only thing I would add is make sure the MH is clean and free of dirt before putting it on. I've seen people where I store the MH come back from a trip and put the cover on without washing the MH. The dirt and the cover will dull the areas rubbed. Other than that it's a great way to protect you're investment.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

FrankO, I don't know what you have, but I have one for a 31' unit and you can have it if you pay the freight to have it shipped to you.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Well I went ahead and bought the Adco cover for UV Protection. What a chore!! Just getting on to the roof was a feat in itself. Someone said they are not that heavy, well mine sure was. I wound up improvising using my old Water hose as rope to tie to the cover and then pull it up on the roof. That was only the first hurdle. I then started to un roll/unfold the beast. I felt like a kid with a box full of toys not knowing where to start. I wanted to find something that would indicate front/back and naturally the front marking was tucked in to the last fold. So I start dragging this thing to the front of the MH as I am on the roof. Now the wind decides to pick up (>15mph) and of course it is coming from the East which is the front. So I get it to the front and throw the straps off the sides on the driver side as the wind keeps blowing them back at me. I am sure someone was taking pictures of me to be shown on Americas Funniest Videos. After about 45 minutes of wrestling with the cover across the entire roof I make my way down the ladder and all proceeds well after that. It probably took a good 2 hours to get it all latched up and secure. I know that when I take the cover off I am going to fold it up in such a way the it will go on back to front minimizing the amount I have to walk on the roof.
Thanks for all the advice I am very happy with the decision I made.
Frank O.