Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #1

When I apply the Jake brake on my rig and the throttle is at idle the brake lights are activated on my rig. I currently do not have a toad braking device and I'm considering getting one.

So when using the Jake brake on down hill runs the brake lights are on. Will this cause my toad brakes to engage and subsequently overheat?

I'm pretty sure the brake lights on the 18 wheelers do not illuminate with only the Jake brake. Is this unique to my chassis (Spartan) and rig?

If others have a similar setup do you know of a modification to causes the brake lights to illuminate only when the air brake pedal is depressed? Or is this really dumb?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #2

When I apply the Jake brake on my rig and the throttle is at idle the brake lights are activated on my rig. I currently do not have a toad braking device and I'm considering getting one.

So when using the Jake brake on down hill runs the brake lights are on. Will this cause my toad brakes to engage and subsequently overheat?

I'm pretty sure the brake lights on the 18 wheelers do not illuminate with only the Jake brake. Is this unique to my chassis (Spartan) and rig?

If others have a similar setup do you know of a modification to causes the brake lights to illuminate only when the air brake pedal is depressed? Or is this really dumb?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Roadking

Yep, the Jacobs Exhaust brake on our coaches does turn on the brake lights on the coach. HOWEVER, if you have cruise control engaged and the exhaust brake kicks in on a gradual downslope, the brake lights DO NOT come on.

If you get a toad brake that is triggered by the brake lights on the coach, yes, it will be triggered when the exhaust brake comes on. But you can get a toad brake that works differently. There are many out there.

I have the Roadmaster Brakemaster toad brake system. It ties into the coach air brakes, and brakes the toad proportionately when I press the brake pedal in the coach. It comes with a breakaway system and monitor light on the coach dash that is tied into the brake system on the toad so is illuminated only when the toad brakes are actually applied. My toad left & right brake lights do come on with the exhaust brake if the cruise control is not on. Then when I press the brake pedal hard enough to trigger the toad brake pedal, it lights up the third brake light on the toad. M&G and many other toad brake systems work similarly, not being triggered by the brake lights but only by pushing the coach brake pedal.

I do want the brake lights to come on when the exhaust brake is engaged as I use it for stopping, downshifting the transmission to 2nd, normally hit the coach brake pedal only at the very end of a stop (or when I have to make a quicker stop.)
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Because I have exhaust brakes I went with the Brake Buddy. Can be set so they only activate on hard stops. Figured with exhaust brakes I did not need braking help going down grades, etc.

So far it has worked great. I set the sensitivity to 3 and It only activates occasionally. One time when someone pulled in front of me it prevented an accident. On many trips I take it never activates but it's there and works when I really need it.

The way I have it set it will not activate when the exhaust brakes kick in. The tail lights do come on (MH & toad) when my exhaust brakes activate and I'm pretty sure that happens even when cruise control is on.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote