RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #1

Toad Towing Question Ellipse 42HD

I just purchased my 2015 Ellipse 42HD. My current TOAD is a Mini Cooper that I flat towed with my gasser. I'm contemplating selling the Mini and flat towing my 2019 Ram full sized pick up. Will towing the full sized pick up lessen my fuel milage compared to towing the Mini? What about towing a Jeep Wrangler?

Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be heavier and would probably hurt the mileage a bit, but probably not sigificantly.

John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
As you can see, we tow an MKX. Not as heavy as a Ram of course......but the difference I noticed was this....7.8 to 8.6 mpg with toad depending on terrain.....with no toad we got up to 9.5 mpg.
So, in our case towing cost us an average of one mile per gallon. This I noted on the same route of about 2,000 miles at two different times. The highway cruise speed I run is 63 mph on average.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

We used to tow DW's Jeep GC and averaged 7.8 MPG. Jeep got totaled so we now tow my '13 Silverado K1500; average mileage is now 7 when making the same trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I just purchased my 2015 Ellipse 42HD. My current TOAD is a Mini Cooper that I flat towed with my gasser. I'm contemplating selling the Mini and flat towing my 2019 Ram full sized pick up. Will towing the full sized pick up lessen my fuel milage compared to towing the Mini? What about towing a Jeep Wrangler?
Interestingly we have similar situations. We have an Ellipse 2016 HD. We currently tow a Smartcar (which we want to sell) and a RAM 2500 diesel. I haven't checked the mileage with the pickup but we get about 7.7 MPG with the Smartcar.

AND we are contemplating a Wrangler after we sell the Smartcar. GMTA!

I'm sure there are others out there who can speak to Wrangler tow mileage. I don't plan to keep towing the Ram...it's about 6 times heavier than the Smartcar LOL

Let me know what you find out since we seem to have the same equipment and plans.

Bill (& Jenny)
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
p.s. I started a thread just for us HD (and some QD) owners. Check it out:

Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #7

We've got a 2011 42QD.
Started out flat towing a 2010 Ford Explorer.
Then moved to flat towing a 2015 Jeep Wranger Rubicon
Currently flat towing a 2016 Ford Expedition EL.

Can't say in the scheme of things I really noticed much difference in fuel mileage towing any of them. Way to many variable in the western US like mountains and wind!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went from towing a Ford Focus HB to a Nissan Frontier pickup. Fuel economy dropped about a half a mpg. I think the drop in mpg is more attributed to the lack of aerodynamics of the truck verses the 1500 lbs. weight increase.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
p.s. I started a thread just for us HD (and some QD) owners. Check it out:

Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL
Problem is on that thread I don't get my questions answered. Somebody just asks something else and all of the sudden mine is buried.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In most situations you will see a 1-2mpg difference when towing vice not. For you that are looking at going to something lighter it doesn't matter as much unless it is very streamline. Personally if it were me I would stick with the diesel Toad, this way you can make just one stop to fill up and not have to think about it. 1 trip to the Big Rig fuel island and fill up both the MH and the toad. Besides with the Heavy Duty Toad you can use it to get you out of trouble if you get stuck.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Answering questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
Problem is on that thread I don't get my questions answered. Somebody just asks something else and all of the sudden mine is buried.
I checked back on your posts on that thread and only one question wasn't addressed. As I said on that one, you asked about the availability of special bedding and I assume no answer means on one has any.

On the other posting you did there were answers to some of your questions so I'm not sure how no answer on one post qualifies as a thread with no responses. I find that most people on this site are pretty good about answering but you will always find some questions or topics that don't go where you want. As I see you have done you can ask again but in general I would defend all posters on here as being really helpful....regardless of the thread.

As always, just my thoughts.

Tags
toad, tow, towing