Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #15

With my basement a/c unit, if I have only a 30amp shore power connection, I have learned a few tricks for cooling. First, if you set the thermostat to one degree below the room temp, only one compressor will come on, and you have plenty of amps for that. If you set the thermostat for two or more degrees below the room temp, both compressors will attempt to come on. If in that situation, I will turn the refer and hot water tank to propane, and both compressors will run using about 24 amps. I will also set the fans to 'on' to keep the overhead ductwork cool all the time. In my experience, most of my over 95 degree days have been out west with low humidity, and even up to 110, we have been comfortable with extra interior fans moving air. But when back east, 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity, its hard to stay comfortable without 50amp power. And in extreme cases, you can pull the slides in so you have less volume to cool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Goods, I have found that one A/C is not enough to cool an RV. There are two solutions:
1. Install a second A/C in your other ceiling vent. (not too difficult to do) 2. Keep your motorhome out of the sun if you're able to. If you can park in the shade when you get to your destination, the coach won't build up the heat in the sidewalls & roof which can make a heck of a difference in the interior temperatures.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have issues with my Winnebago Sightseer 33C, with 2 roof A/C's. We spend winters in FL, on hot days with little shade, on the MH, we have taken steps to keep the sun & heat from coming thru the glass. Even with the roll up shades, it is not adequate during the day. We are using a drop down shade from the awning.
Also using reflective insulation for the windshield. We will see this coming season as we just installed outside Magna Shade to keep sun out. Heat along with humidity makes A/C difficult.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #18

Here is an easy mod to increase your air output from the AC. Order one of these rotating vents from Amazon. Remove your inner AC cover, cut a hole, and install the vent with four #8 x 5/8" stainless panhead screws, reinstall the inner cover. This won't make your AC any cooler but it significantly increases the air output which helps with the cooling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	168507
soonerdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #19

Not sure why they even sell a RV over 25' with one AC'!
Had three on a 40' MH. Barley kept up.
Downsized to a 30' TT with two 15Ks comfy.
Course they both run most of the day, and we are in "TEXAS" not by choice!!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Too hot!

I also found the bedroom thermostat was not sensing the temp correctly due to heat from the wall. I moved the thermostat away from the wall with spacers. Also I keep the bedroom door closed during the day, so as not to affect the hallway thermostat for the other A/C. Also put A/ C fan on high if you have this setting. We do raise the temp to 78 during very hot days so as to allow the A/C to cycle. One year I even sprayed down the MH with water. Even little thing helps, without shade it is difficult. At night it is very comfortable.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by desilpj View Post
I also found the bedroom thermostat was not sensing the temp correctly due to heat from the wall. I moved the thermostat away from the wall with spacers. Also I keep the bedroom door closed during the day, so as not to affect the hallway thermostat for the other A/C. Also put A/ C fan on high if you have this setting. We do raise the temp to 78 during very hot days so as to allow the A/C to cycle. One year I even sprayed down the MH with water. Even little thing helps, without shade it is difficult. At night it is very comfortable.

Can you tell me , technical wise, what putting the AC on high fan accomplishes?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Too hot!

I have been told by moving more air over the coils, prevents ice from forming when you have high humidity, like you get in your car. Icing on the coils prevents proper air flow.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #23

Some folks have added a second A/C, and wired it to another Furrion plug like the original land line attaches to.....then with a separate cord, plug into the pedestal's 15 or 20 amp plug.....
Old 07-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #24

Most Winnebago's, prior to 2011, had basement a/c units with two compressors. That is like having two rooftop a/c units. If you add a third one to a roof vent, be sure to calculate your electrical load, even 50 amp service will be stressed.
In strong sunlight, the roof will get hot, so you want to keep the air moving through the ceiling ductwork. Make sure there is no leakage of cool air from the ductwork leaving the a/c unit, you can feel it on a hot day if there is.
Best thing you can do, is park in the shade. But lets face it, when it gets over 95, it is going to get hot in these thinly insulated boxes.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #25

Update on my Basement Issue. I suspected that my AC was only running one compressor. I though that because the air coming from the vents was not very cool at all and, the unit was sweating very little condensation. From the forum, I learned that there is a breaker for AC Comp #1 and AC Comp #2. I looked at the breakers and the breaker to AC Comp #2 was tripped. I reset it and immediately heard Comp #2 start up. It was 90 degrees in the coach when I reset the breaker. One hour later, it was down to 81 degrees. I don't know what caused the breaker for Comp #2 to trip but I ran the unit all weekend hooked up to 50A power and did not have an issue. With outdoor temps above 90, the AC was able to hold the inside temp between 80 and 83 degrees. Considering the MH was parked in full sun and the humidity was high......I'll take that! Thank you to all who post such great info. Learning it one piece at a time.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Breaker for Comp #2 probably blew when the voltage was too low and the compressor wouldn't get up to speed quickly. Your startup components for #2 may be weak (ie startup capacitor or relay).

If you have a campsite pedestal with a worn out 30 amp socket, it will drop a lot of voltage at the contacts and create heat there.......as witnessed by burnt/melted plastic around the pins on your 30 amp plug. Make sure the socket looks ok and it it plugs in nice and firm, and gets a tight grip on the pins of your plug. If not have the park change out the socket at your pedestal.

If the whole park is 30 amp and filled with campers on a hot weekend, there's a really good chance the voltage is low for everybody. Your only recourse is a power voltage booster, as recommended in my reply #8 above.
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
and we are in "TEXAS" not by choice!!
When did they close down the interstates? I musta' missed that last weekend going into and returning from Oklahoma.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #28

Duner, I believe you hit it dead on. The weekend prior to the realization that our AC was not keeping up, we had camped at a State Park and we were plugged into a 30A pedestal. One time during the weekend I had to go out and reset the breaker on the pedestal. I was running the fridge and water heater on LP to keep amp draw down and yet we still tripped the breaker at the pedestal. I checked out the link you kindly provided to the Huges Booster. Curious, what happens if you plug it into a 30A pedestal using the same adapter I use to plug the coach into a 30A pedestal? Thank you again for all you great info. Safe travels.