Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Question Too hot!

My 2014 30ft Itasca will not stay cool when outside temp gets above 90. AC is cold, just not adequate. Any recommendation on how to address. AC man says the unit is working as it should be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

nothing much you can do other than stand right under the vent to cool off - most RVs are the same, and with only a single AC unit, the farther past 20' you go the harder it is to cool the 'whole thang' with a single AC.
but, use additional fans around the coach to help push the cooler air around and away from bright and hotter areas.

Sometimes, though, a single AC unit is not enough in ANY situation - it's akin to asking a single window unit to cool two or three different rooms in a house properly, it probably 'aint gonna happen.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all US states, including Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 slides with awnings that come down on both of them to provide shade, this helps. Big difference in the window temps when the awning is down. Also provide shade to the side of the motorhome. We have a large awning on the passenger side, when the wind isn't up we put this down to provide shade. We have some shades we put in the windshield.

Anything you can do to limit the head coming in helps. Putting reflective insulation in the windows on the sun side is an option. Same with the front window.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-1...5-ft-L/3011906
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
nothing much you can do other than stand right under the vent to cool off - most RVs are the same, and with only a single AC unit, the farther past 20' you go the harder it is to cool the 'whole thang' with a single AC.
but, use additional fans around the coach to help push the cooler air around and away from bright and hotter areas.

Sometimes, though, a single AC unit is not enough in ANY situation - it's akin to asking a single window unit to cool two or three different rooms in a house properly, it probably 'aint gonna happen.
X2. It's the nature of the beast.
We use 2 occelating fans to help circulate air. Additionally, I have made window coverings that fit between the pull down shades and the window, Used Reflectix. Its an insulation, comes on a roll. Look it up in Lowes or Home Depot. When placed in the windows, really cuts back on the heat.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Add a second air conditioner.
Shade trees.
Fan(s) to move air over you.
Window awnings.
Insulation in the top of cabinets in slides.
Windshield and front side window coverings (like magnashade).
Move the RV to where it's cooler.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #6

All, thanks for the comments. I will look into the window cover material.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goods605 View Post
All, thanks for the comments. I will look into the window cover material.
Easiest solution.

Head to the HILLs.

Get some altitude - 8,000' will give you some cooler temps - Buddy said it was 109 in California so he stayed in Colorado at Altitude for a while - Had to turn on the Heat when he woke up.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=weat...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Leadville was down to 36 last night. .......

The RV has wheels - just head to where it works,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also make sure you are getting at least 110 vac at the outlets in your rig. Anything lower will make the a/c unit work hard and less efficient. It's common for the voltage to drop a lot when it gets hot and all the rigs have the a/c running. I use a Hughes Autoformer to boost the voltage so it keeps the voltage around 120 vac. The a/c startup components tend to fail early when they see low voltage often. My dual compressor basement unit is 13.5 yrs old and still have the original startup components. I was at a FMCA rally in Richmond, Va in June 2008 when temps hit 106 deg for about 1100 motorhomes. Three a/c repair guys were fixing dozens of a/c units non-stop for 4 days.

50 Amp Hughes Autoformer RV220-50 - New - fast Free Shipping | eBay
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #9

I opened the main ac vent on my 30 t and got the cool air in coac quickly. Circulating through the ducks was less efficient. Then use a fan to move air in coach. Keeping sun from hearing through windows does a lot. Especially wind shield. Sky lights and power vents also should be restricted from sun. Pillows do that job. Isolate bedroom if not using during day. It will cool quickly when sun goes down. Awnings and outdoor screens help a lot.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #10

The cooling factor was one of the biggest concerns when we decided we were going to buy a motorhome with only one air conditioner.
We limited it to 25ft in length, no slideouts, and it had to have dual pane windows. We were just recently on a trip in over 100 degree weather for a few days. Had no problem at all keeping it nice and cool inside.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

I have considered replacing the rear fan with an AC. It would have to be plugged into a 15 amp circuit but I see no reason it wouldn't be functional. Any thoughts.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

I'd check with Winnebago to see if it was pre-wired for a second A/C unit. Many years ago, a 30' motorhome typically had one standard A/C but an optional second was available. If that's still true with today's models, I'd spend the money for a second A/C rather than dealing with extreme heat. I just had to replace my rear unit and pricing wasn't too bad... and I'm sure I could have done a lot better if I hadn't been under the gun to get it replaced due to a planned trip. You should at least check as one of the possible solutions. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #13

Most RVs are designed with a/c for a 15-20 degree differential. That meaning if it is 100 outside, you should be able to maintain about 80. More a/c units mean more cooling. With the relatively thin walls, thin roofs, and lots of windows, it is a huge cooling job. Best way to beat the heat is to get the RV into shade. And it is very true that RV Parks on hot days, have everyone using lots of power for a/c, which can result in lower voltages for the shore power. And lower voltage does make the a/c units less efficient. And as the voltage drops, the amp draw goes up, which is why you see some charred 30amp sockets on shore power poles. 30a x 120v = 3600w but 3600w / 106v = 33.9 amps Most surge guards will kick out below 103v to save your compressors.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #14

I (x2) Journey39N, probably because his rig is the same model, year and color as mine! Actually I am struggling with this issue also. My 39N has basement AC, so single unit with dual compressors. I have learned a couple of things that may or may not apply to you. 1) We stay at a lot of State Parks with 30 amp power. Our Energy Management System will cut the power to certain loads when it thinks we are puling too much power. One of the loads my EMS will cut is compressor#2 on my AC. With one compressor not running, my AC will not supply the typical 18-20 degree differential, or difference between ambient temp and cold air supply. In my case, I could not get the rig cooled down even on GENSET which gives me 50 amp. So...I've got to do some trouble shooting to see if I am running only one compressor (me thinks is the case) and if so.....how come? Let's all just go somewhere cooler! SC has been HOT and Humid this year.