Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #15

The problem is there are not many to look at even within a days drive.
annandalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I can't speak to older Winnebagos but I don't have any undercarriage rust problem on my made in December, 2014 Winnebago Vista. I took the 'on the floor' chassis building tour at WIT GNR this summer and saw in detail how they custom manufacture the steel parts they add to the ford chassis. The steel material is stored inside after being laser cut and formed, and in some cases welded into assemblies. Their build cycle is about 21 days from when a coach is placed on the production schedule to when the finished coach leaves assembly, so most if not all formed steel parts are hanging unpainted a few days. Their current paint line takes all these parts thru a 7 or 8 step chemical clean / prep / rinse vats, some electrically charged, before being powder coated or sprayed and then oven baked depending on the part.

Personally the only areas I have had some corrosion issues with is some of the zinc plated self tapping screw fasteners, the zinc coating seems to get consumed and rust begins about the same time the warranty runs out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread Compartment Rust Repair details how I repaired the rusted compartment edge on my 2005 Vectra a couple of years ago. I've just recently done a similar repair on the entire driver's side of the coach and am about to do the same to the rest of the passenger's side as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #18

With my first Class A I spotted lots of rust underneath, crawled under there with a spray bottle filled with Jasco Prep & Prime. Sprayed wherever I found rust, avoiding rotating objects. This stuff is an acid that chemically changed the rust back into metal. Inside some of the basement compartments, big flakes of rust were obvious. Removed those flakes and painted the other surfaces with the Jasco using a foam brush. Surprisingly never had to worry about that area afterwards.

Worked like a charm. Over the 12 years of ownership of that rusty rig, never found any additional rusting, and never had a mechanical issue I could attribute to rust. I periodically checked under there as part of yearly maintenance but never had much more to do. The rust never got any worse, and in most places, it was a nice shade of black instead of rust colored.

My next Class A also has rust (though not as bad) and I did that same treatment. Saves a lot of time over grinding and wire brushing as it is very easy to apply using either a spray bottle or a foam brush.

Home depot now has a less expensive solution: Klean-Strip

One thing I noticed is that the product would eat my clothes up if I got in the wrong place while spraying or brushing it on. Always wore work clothes, face mask, and goggles.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuff View Post
All I can really say is, you are not alone. Our 2010 Journey has probably lost about 20 pounds since I bought it new a couple of years ago. Weight loss from corroded metal and underside paint falling off in disturbing amounts. Our is especially bad under the storage compartments but really, everything behind the front tires and rear duals has suffered. I had to have the support frame for our basement AC re-built. I really don't know the history of the coach before I owned it. I was told it was from auction in Florida but after finding all of the cover up painting done on it prior to resale, I don't believe anything we were told. I do know that my next purchase will get inspected underneath before I even look at the rest of it.
We brought it to Freightliner. Pretty mucb everything you said, happened. Beautiful interior and exterior but
Rust beyond what we could see on the mechanics. Best few hundred bucks we spent. If we had the time and the price was was to way better, it would be an awesome project. I am.sorry you got hit. Freightliner waa great if you could use them.
annandalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #20

I am happy you got to understand the full extent of the issue prior to a purchase. We got "wowed" by the coach overall and all we wanted to see was the pretty stuff. We do enjoy our coach but it has been an expensive lesson I am eager to help anyone else avoid. There are good deals out there. Mine could have been a good deal IF as you said, we had been aware of what we were getting into and used that knowledge to get the price down. Hope you find a great deal soon and love every minute of it!
Neverenuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust