Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Question Tour undercarriage rust

my 12 tour has significant rust issues inside lower bin and all metal structures under coach. it looks like they didn't clean, prep or primer any steel underneath. Paint just falls off to the touch. Is it just mine or do others have same issue. I bought this MH used last year, only 9000 miles. It spent winters in florida. Very poor quality control
pa.jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I'm not impressed with the amount of rust on our 08 either. It also spent winters in Florida and summers near Montreal, both damp areas. Lots of paint flaking off and corrosion on unpainted surfaces. I have been scraping and painting with rust buster paint, then shooting black chassis paint on. Big job and can't get to it all.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've noticed some surface rust but also an increase on our personal vehicles. The stuff they are using on the winter roads in New England these days is extremely corrosive. Truckers have complained in the last few years that it is destroying their trucks but no one seems to care. All they care about are clean roads.

Our local public works department sprays fluid film on their trucks to inhibit rust. It is marketed as non-toxic. I was thinking about trying it. The only problem is it leaves everything slimy underneath. If you had to work on something it would be messy.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
For years, Winnebago has done a very poor job cleaning up their undercarriage metalwork and taking action to prevent corrosion. It is up to the owner to inspect and treat the corrosion if you want your coach to last. Initially, I literally spent hours each preseason underneath with a wire brush and rust treatment spray. Now, it takes me less than 20 minutes each year to inspect and treat any problems. There are many threads on this problem on this fourum.

While on a factory tour at Forrest City, I complained to the tour guide about the corrosion problems their production people leave for the customer to contend with. He was indignant and denied the problem even exists. If they would treat the undercarriage as well as the chassis manufacturer does for his product, we would not have any complaints in this department.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

I too have been chasing rust on my coach for the last 5-6 years (I purchased it new, and it has never seen salt). Winnebago uses a powder-coat process for its metal surfaces. I don't believe they prep the metal properly. My experience is the paint flakes off in big chunks in your hands, just has others have observed.

I think Winnebago's denials on rust problems on their coaches is their denial.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa.jim View Post
my 12 tour has significant rust issues inside lower bin and all metal structures under coach. it looks like they didn't clean, prep or primer any steel underneath. Paint just falls off to the touch. Is it just mine or do others have same issue. I bought this MH used last year, only 9000 miles. It spent winters in florida. Very poor quality control

I would buy a gallon of ospho rust treatment and a good spray bottle and wet the rusted area. Turns the rust black and stops the rust now. Then after it drys, undercoat it or paint it or leave it as is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	171168

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Add me to the Tour rust list.

Mine was a brand new leftover when I bought it in 2008 so it sat on the lot for a year. Then it sat in my yard for a few NJ winters with a cover on a gravel pad. Now it sits in a dry, heated Morton building when its not in FL dealing with the salt air.

I've seen rust:
- inside the storage bays where the paint comes off in sheets
- around the storage bay gaskets (outside) mostly near the bottom edge
- outside of front driver side storage bay
- exhaust brackets have rusted and fallen off
- some of the hydraulic connections look mighty corroded so I wonder when they will fail
- hitch receiver
- pretty much any sheet metal that is towards the front or bottom of the coach

I've been treating with Naval Jelly and some Rusty metal primer.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
For years, Winnebago has done a very poor job cleaning up their undercarriage metalwork and taking action to prevent corrosion. It is up to the owner to inspect and treat the corrosion if you want your coach to last. Initially, I literally spent hours each preseason underneath with a wire brush and rust treatment spray. Now, it takes me less than 20 minutes each year to inspect and treat any problems. There are many threads on this problem on this fourum.
What are you using for treatment and are you coating it after or leaving it the way it is? Ive looked at a few rust treatment options and plan on starting the process in the fall.

Its a 2004, lived in the northwest for a good part of its life. Then ended up wintering in FL and summering in Ohio.

I live in NC now aside from being humid and wet it isnt going to see any more salt for a while if I can help it. Chris T and my mech commented on needing the underside treated but my mech doesnt see much rust and doesnt know what to recommend. there arent any undercoating places that Ive found here and wasnt sure where to start. Trying to keep it simple.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
copy of post on corrision

I don't know how to link a post but you can see the picture in original post

7 years living on North West coast in Oregon was not kind to MH. 70% humidity and rain 10 months a year. Underside had lots of rust on frame, gas pipes, braces, heat shields, worst on propane tank (just behind duals), mounts, steps, and some on metal under basement doors. It was always wet down there. Much of this rust was not critical but I couldn't stand just knowing it was there.

Job turned out not so bad. Now back to living in high desert. First pres. washed underside then scraped and wire brushed rust. Used Corroseal rust converter and a spray bottle both from Home Depot. And the spray bottle sprayer screwed directly on to the Corroseal bottle!!! yea. Squirt, squirt and smoothed out with 2 inch paint brush. 24 hours later turns black and ready for top coat if desired. So much better. Time will tell how well it works.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #10

All I can really say is, you are not alone. Our 2010 Journey has probably lost about 20 pounds since I bought it new a couple of years ago. Weight loss from corroded metal and underside paint falling off in disturbing amounts. Our is especially bad under the storage compartments but really, everything behind the front tires and rear duals has suffered. I had to have the support frame for our basement AC re-built. I really don't know the history of the coach before I owned it. I was told it was from auction in Florida but after finding all of the cover up painting done on it prior to resale, I don't believe anything we were told. I do know that my next purchase will get inspected underneath before I even look at the rest of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Add me to the club. My coroseal just came in last week and my Por-15 topcoat arrives from Amazon today. My main areas are all the areas around the storage bays (inside and out) paint just falling off and rust behind it. Assuming Mother Nature cooperates, it's the next few weekends project.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

We are looking at a used coach that is in all respects, a great coach, and i mean great! What we are seeing upon further inspection is some deep rust, not surface on the drivers side mostly, under the compartments will need to be replaced. Has anyone undergone a replaceme t or repair? It is an Itasca 2007 Meridian. My fear is that even going new and more mo ey , from what i am.seei g, i will have the same problem. Owner was not aware northeast coastal so we do expect to see. Interestingly, it was not seen but felt.
Thanks for your opinion! Freightliner is inspectin the chasis tomorrow and oil trany analise (sp?)
annandalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by annandalex View Post
We are looking at a used coach that is in all respects, a great coach, and i mean great! What we are seeing upon further inspection is some deep rust, not surface on the drivers side mostly, under the compartments will need to be replaced. Has anyone undergone a replaceme t or repair? It is an Itasca 2007 Meridian. My fear is that even going new and more mo ey , from what i am.seei g, i will have the same problem. Owner was not aware northeast coastal so we do expect to see. Interestingly, it was not seen but felt.
Thanks for your opinion! Freightliner is inspectin the chasis tomorrow and oil trany analise (sp?)
If you think it's worth putting in the money to repair those compartments and everything else checks out it might be worth it. I would compare it to other coaches of the same age and see what you find. Then you will have an idea if that coach has far more rust than normal.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #14

We bought our coach in 2014. The coach is a 2010 and had 60K miles on it but in all respects, it looked great. That is except underneath. I didn't look underneath. I honestly think that if I had looked under the coach and understood the amount of corrosion already taking place, I would have passed on that coach, even though we loved everything else about it. I have spent a lot more money on repair than I expected due to corrosion. For example, my fan clutch went out and in the process of that repair, we would up replacing major items because of the corrosion. Radiator core, radiator, trans cooler, exhaust, muffler every bracket and bolt involved. Not pretty. Then I had to have the basement AC removed for repair a little later. Simple repair to replace a fan motor but again got expensive because the shop had to rebuild the support frame.
So, to your concern about the same thing happening to a new coach...I guess that depend on where it goes and how much attention is given to the underside. I would rather start new and keep up the fight than to try and play catch up with one that has advanced as far as mine has. Some of the corrosion on mine I honestly don't know how to even go about fixing it. I am trying treatments to stop further corrosion. Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

Tags
rust