Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
TPMS Question

Have a Itasca 33c with 235/80 R22.5 tires. Just installed a TPMS . When I got to the high temperature setup part I had no idea what to select. System had defaults of 185,175,165,155 F.
Do I select the highest default and next trip see what they all are running at and select a default above that reading??
Thanks for the input.

rick5963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think you will find it doesn't matter if like the TST the sensors simply report ambient temps. My external sensors will show temps averaging 85 degrees F after a couple hours of travel but if I measure the tires with infrared temp gun I get an average of 135 degrees F. I assume this is a failing of all externally mount TPMS sensors. I would think internally mounted sensors would do much better with actual temps.

If they actually do end up reporting actual tire temps I'd set them at either 155 or 165 from your presets.

I will watch this thread, interested to know if you see actual or ambient temps.

sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

I selected 157 deg (my lowest setting). After about 22 thousand miles I have never had a high temp alarm. What you want to watch for is a temperature differential, instead of actual reading. If one sensor has a higher reading than the others, I'm concerned as to why; tire belt separation, dragging brake, wheel bearing beginning to fail, etc.
Tireman9 is a retired tire engineer, his blog has a wealth of information. Run a search for his posts here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Thanks Rick for asking this question. I just got my EEZRV TPMS and got hung up on the temps too. I am really interested in the temps because we just had a stuck rotor that could have been disastrous. I want to catch it sooner than we did.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. We are headed out West on about 2 weeks. Will find out then.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
thanks. Pretty much use the TPMs as a baseline . After a few hours of driving all tires should be where they will stay. How close should the sensors be in psi to the air gauge I use. I used two when I set them. A electronic one and a supposedly a accurate mech. trucker type. Set tires to 95 psi all. Out of 6 sensors 2 show 92, 1 show 94 and other 3 95. Not really concerned since I know what the pressure is. Just curious if they should off 3 lbs. have a Bellacorp unit. thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use the TST 507 System, they claim accuracy of 3 psi. At cold temp setting I find I’m normally within 1 psi, sometime 2 psi. I’m guessing your systems manual,should tell you about their specs
Old 05-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

I use the EEZ TPMS and typically mine are within 2 psi of the two tire pressure gauges I use to check them periodically. I have almost 10,000 miles on now with the EEZ TPMS. I don't think I have ever seen tire temp readings above 100, if so it was just because of the sun. I set my temp alarms at 115f. This way I will warned early if there is an issue. We all know the tire temp readout isn't very accurate and becomes less accurate if you have valve stem extenders but the reading is a baseline temperature for what the tires should read under normal conditions. When things become abnormal then we would expect the temperature and pressure to change.

I run my low and high pressure alarms around 10psi below and above my normal tire pressure. I like to be warned early if there is a problem.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

Right now all my sensors after programming sitting in the house read exactly the same.

When I had the stuck rotor there was a considerable amount of radiant heat that im sure the sensor would have picked up.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #10

I find the temperature part of my TST TPMS does a great job or reporting 8 times (mine is a tag axle) outside temperature. They essentially duplicate what my Walmart internal/external temp gauge tells me X8. That and which side of the coach is in the sun vs shade I think temperature on external, valve stem mounted TMPS systems are pretty much useless. If the TPMS was internal to the tire that would be a different story.

Ah, to answer your question, doesn't really matter. Pick the lowest temp as the "high" for an external sensor.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

I found out it does matter and it can pick up a slightly dragging rotor. I had already had a caliper lock up completely, could have burnt the rig down had I not caught it in time.

Got that taken care of and decided to quit waffling on getting a TPMS since with the heat the rotor was putting off it would have been very evident before it was too late. I got an EEZRV TPMS.

I picked up the MH from repair and headed home. After braking hard coming up to traffic the temp on the front right rotor came up a few degrees and the tire PSI came up. It set the temp alarm off. I had it set pretty low 109* it was in the 80s outside and the other tires were running about 93* after warming up.

I had it set low because I suspected another caliper was in trouble but I didn't want this particular stealer to work on it anymore. Talk about shysters.

The other thing evident by the temps was I had a low inside dual that I specifically asked the stealer to fill. Yeah that didn't happen. Anyway it was running a few degrees higher than the rest which is expected from a low tire.

So you can say what you want about whether its worth it. If you are driving a W chassis that had a brake recall it certainly is because you can pick up a dragging caliper ahead of time.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #12

Do the tpms caps work on extensions..?

I have been thinking about getting tpms also
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Do the tpms caps work on extensions..?

I have been thinking about getting tpms also
I have them on metal extensions on the coach and rubber extensions on the truck. Rubber is not recommended but mine have held up since 2012 or 13. If the rubber extensions were long enough that the weight of the sensor caused them to flop around I'd worry that the extension would fail and cause a flat.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have them on metal extensions on the coach and rubber extensions on the truck. Rubber is not recommended but mine have held up since 2012 or 13. If the rubber extensions were long enough that the weight of the sensor caused them to flop around I'd worry that the extension would fail and cause a flat.
I have metal extensions, just wondering if the temp would still work from a dragging caliper ..I guess it would

wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms